The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help mic my drumset
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Help mic my drumset

Hey guys and girls.

I have a jazz/pop session coming up and was wondering how to mic the drumset with the mics that I have. I don't have much experience with jazz other than to know to try to use less mics overall on the set or more condenser mics. I mostly do pop/rock, hip-hop stuff at my studio.

The drumset is, I believe, a 5-piece with a small kick drum and 3 toms and snare.

Here are the mics that I have:

(1) Audio Technica AT4060 Tube Condenser
(1) Audio Technica AT4047/SV
(1) RØDE K2 Tube Mic
(1) CAD E-200 Condenser
(1) AKG C1000 Condenser
(2) Oktava MC-012 Condenser
(1) Audio Technica AE2500
(1) AKG D112
(2) Shure SM57
(1) Shure Beta57
(4) Sennheiser e604

So, using the mic from above, how would you guys mic up a 5-piece jazz drumset? Or, am I unable to get a good sound for jazz with these mics and need to go shopping for a couple of mics?

Thanks for helping.
Old 10th June 2006
there a lot of ways you can go with your mics, so I will choose this one.

d112 just barely inside the kick hole (if it has one)
and/or/also 4060 FOK 3 feet out, 3 feet up.
57 on the snare
one mc012 two drumstick lengths directly over the snare pointed at the center of the snare head
one mc012 ride side pointed at the high hats, also two drumstick lengths from the center of the snare head

604s are nice on toms, though I wouldn't mic them myself for a jazzy thing less is more, might be nice for options later but generally a nice 3-4 mic setup will do nicely and cut phase issues tremendously, hell dont close mic anything!

somebody's going to say mono overhead in .3....2....1
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'd maybe try the oktavas for overheads and see how that sounds.

Try either of the AT mics or the Rode for a room mic.

And yeah, I like mono overheads. heh

D112 is a classic kick mic, and I love the way they sound.

But maybe instead mic the kick from the outside with the K2 for some beater sound.

Or both if you really want the option of a more modern kick sound.

But yeah, I'd try to get it all happening with two or three mics if you're really going for a classic jazz kit sound.

Tony William's "Spring" is my reference for that kind of drum sound.

I wouldn't EQ or compress anything while tracking.

I could be wrong, but the fact that there are three toms means that maybe the drummer's going for a more modern jazz sound, and if that's the case, I'd say get some close mics up just in case the room/overhead sound doesn't totally do it for him.

Ask the drummer if he can give you any references as far as what kind of sound he's going for, then let us know if possible.
Old 10th June 2006
side note: I absolutely LOVE the oktavas on OH, they make toms sound so good, I have passed over km84s in favor of the mc012s on more than one occasion *ducks and runs*
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I do love the oktavas as overheads. I'll experiment on placement...should I X-Y them over the set for a good stereo image? And then mic the snare? Should I try to mic the snare with a LDC like the K2?

Thanks for the inputs. I looks like I have decent mics to get the job done. Not very slutty but more economical!
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Honestly,

Your best result will be to use the Oktava as a single overhead placed beside the drummer's head to the right, aimed directly down between the snare and the floor tom.

Now put that Rode K2 into figure 8 pattern and place it 2 feet out from and directly in front of the middle of the bass drum.

Your done and thiswill give you the best drum sound with what you have for the style of music you are doing and will allow a lot more room for other instruments to take up space in the stereo field. Pan the drums slightly left in your mix to get them away from the vocal that will go in the center. Also pan the bass slightly right. Then allow the other instruments to take up the wider areas of the stereo spectrum.

Since you won't need any luck I wont wish you any.
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo unit
Honestly,

Your best result will be to use the Oktava as a single overhead placed beside the drummer's head to the right, aimed directly down between the snare and the floor tom.

Now put that Rode K2 into figure 8 pattern and place it 2 feet out from and directly in front of the middle of the bass drum.

Your done and thiswill give you the best drum sound with what you have for the style of music you are doing and will allow a lot more room for other instruments to take up space in the stereo field. Pan the drums slightly left in your mix to get them away from the vocal that will go in the center. Also pan the bass slightly right. Then allow the other instruments to take up the wider areas of the stereo spectrum.

Since you won't need any luck I wont wish you any.
Sounds nice Echo Unit! Also, try the Sure D112 inside the kick a few inches, the K2 overhead 3 feet pointed down (cardiod; experiment w/ polar pattern), and put the AT Tube to the right of the floor tom. Make sure the over head and floor tom mic are equal distance from the drummers solar plexus (3 feet) forming a perfect triangle.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Recorderman method , and d112 in the kick , 57 under snare drum .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search