The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
tape
Old 1st October 2003
Gear Addict

tape

....remember how good it smells when you open a fresh reel ?!.. aah..

..so who out there is using it, then ? I had to give myself a serious talking to about not buying a new tape machine..
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Re: tape

Quote:
Originally posted by adam_w

..so who out there is using it, then ? I had to give myself a serious talking to about not buying a new tape machine..
hmmm, I'm seriously considering buying a 1/2 inche machine. I lurk over an ATR12 and a A810 for the moment.

I like the smell of Ampex better

malice
Old 1st October 2003
Gear Addict

Re: Re: tape

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman

Best regards. Long live the Edison wire recorder! The earth is flat!
Wire recording is cold, brittle and lifeless.....wax cylinders is what you make real records on.
Old 1st October 2003
Gear Maniac

quit teasing me

I've been drooling over an MCI 24 track for the last three months. They even cut the price in half.

I used to be an MCI multi-track technician in a previous life, so I even know how to tweak it.

I don't need it, I WANT it.

But alas, financially speaking, things couldn't be much worse now. I should be cutting back now, not increasing overhead.

If demand for my new mic stand is overwhelming I will buy that sucker. Unlimited wants, limited means. Crap. A hard time to be as Gearslutty as I am.

As you whir,

whirly
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Even though its getting harder in my market to convince people to go 2",
I still go that route when I can. Any internal project stays analog all the way to the mastering house. Hell If the project can benefit from it, I've been known to donate the tape. If I can't find some help w/my diskmix, I might have to start dumping more 2" into tools
Old 1st October 2003
Lives for gear

Re: tape

Quote:
Originally posted by adam_w
996 smelled wonderful ... my all time favorite, and not just for the smell

456 and 499: not bad, but not really "good" smelling.

Anyone remember AGFA?? Called it "GAG-FA" -- it had a slightly vomitous bouquet.

BASF doesn't smell much better.

Haven't smelled any in months!

Slipp, what's your house brown?

-dave
Old 1st October 2003
Gear Addict

I'm still tracking with tape, compiling to disc, and mixing back to tape through a desk. It's getting harder to find tracking rooms around here with properly maintained machines though.

BASF 911 still retains that AGFA aroma.

My favorite are 406/456.

Remember Scotch 250? It had it's own special smell too.
Old 2nd October 2003
One with big hooves

I'm running 2" for multi-track and 1/4" for mixes. Plenty of tape getting opened here.
Old 2nd October 2003
Gear Guru

I use tape all the time, tracking (2") and mixing (1/4"). I'm getting a RADAR this weekend, but I'm not getting rid of my 2" deck. I just bought 2 1/2 MCI 1/4" project machines as well.
Old 2nd October 2003
Gear Head

Been mixing in protools, last two projects mixed on an SSL 4000 to 1/2"....I feel like I'm about to graduate. Tape....tape.....tape.....tape.....
Old 2nd October 2003
I will get a 2" with 16 track & 24 track headblock if & when I can afford it. I would need a small footprint machine, something like an Otari M80 - with 2 x headblocks.

Presently I am still improving on my drum recording to PT - via Neve / Helios & Prism converters.... The new drum room helps.

Still, I ido a lot of drum drop in / outs - I dont know how that would work out on 2"....
Old 2nd October 2003
Lives for gear

I've done the tricks where you print audio (like drum loops) to tape (sometimes even cassette) to give them tape compression, and sometimes a lo fi dirty effect. Does anyone know of anything that actually uses a tape loop for tape compression, kinda like a non delaying echoplex besides an actual tape machine?

I don't mean emulators like the SPL Machinehead, the Cranesong Hedd, etc, but actual tape.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search