The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Summing Boxes- which one impressed you/?
Old 29th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
One of the things that impresses me most about the Tonebuss is the way it rounds the edges off just so. Also enjoyed the Dangerous in a different way.
What did you like about the Dangerous?
Old 29th June 2012
Lives for gear

I tried a passive summing unit made by a local technician in my town and the d bus by a friend- don't laugh i ended up with something that objective carries bad specs but sounds subjective very good to my ear.

ZED-14 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING
Old 3rd July 2012
Here for the gear

Nicerizer and ITB

Phoenix Audio posted 2 mixes I did on their Nicerizer page, at the page bottom.
Nicerizer 16 | Phoenix Audio

I can testify this is a transparent comparison because I did these mixes.
No tricks.

Best
Filippo G
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGDD View Post
Phoenix Audio posted 2 mixes I did on their Nicerizer page, at the page bottom.
Nicerizer 16 | Phoenix Audio

I can testify this is a transparent comparison because I did these mixes.
No tricks.

Best
Filippo G
Love the song and mixes. I may prefer the ITB because I like the detail and impact of the transients.

-R
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

That said, I did some comparisons of the Nicerizer, the Tonelux and ITB on a jazz tune a few years ago. I just found the files yesterday and did a blind comparison. I ended up liking the Nicerizer best because it made the featured trumpet lead sound more real.

The summing box is just one element in a complex transfer function and needs to be evaluated for it's role in that function.

-R
Old 4th July 2012
Here for the gear

Nicerizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
That said, I did some comparisons of the Nicerizer, the Tonelux and ITB on a jazz tune a few years ago. I just found the files yesterday and did a blind comparison. I ended up liking the Nicerizer best because it made the featured trumpet lead sound more real.

The summing box is just one element in a complex transfer function and needs to be evaluated for it's role in that function.

-R
Thanks for your comments. Yes I find interesting how subtle the line is. I prefer the Nicerizer for the character, no doubt. Sometimes on some songs I miss the detail..

Someone suggested a new thread for this, and so I'll follow his suggestion.

FG
Old 4th July 2012
I tried also most mentioned summing boxes and ended up with a console.

advantage: fader

you can level elements against each other (drums vs guitars) using your 2 hands. totally different experience then just using a mouse.

.. and you can crush a signal driving a channel to the limit. very nice for electronic music!
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Addict

we have recently compared the SPL NEOS against a simple but very high-end Funk Tonstudiotechnik 16-2 Matrix and i´ve got to say the NEOS has been sent back.
Neumann summing cards can be damn good as well, freshly serviced these do really beat most of the newer big knobs - nothing inside boxes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search