The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode NT2A or NT2000?
Old 9th June 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
zemlin's Avatar
 

Rode NT2A or NT2000?

I'm very close to upgrading the my LDC selection. I've decided on a pair of Rode NT2As. I know there are other good options out there, but I've done my homework and am comfortable with the Rode offering. The only thing nagging me is if I should throw more money at the upgrade and get the NT2000s instead.

This mics will likely be used for everything from close vocals and acoustic instruments to choirs and orchestras. It's a matter of trying to weigh the value of knobs over swithes for the variable pattern. From what I understand, that's really the only difference between the two. Knobs for pad and HPF don't excite me.

Also, the NT2000 includes the shock mount and hard case, where the NT2A comes with a bag and a rigid clip - so that tips the scales a little - but upping the investment by 1.5x will put the purchase off for a while - I want to make sure that little knob is worth waiting for.

I guess one of each would be an option too - so I'd be variable on one and switched on the other.

Old 9th June 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
True North's Avatar
 

I own 2 x NT2000's and they are a great buy.
Old 9th June 2006
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
RichS's Avatar
 

Rode NT2A or NT2000?

I've got a pair of NT2000's that I love for choir/orchestra work.

I use them mostly in M/S or Blumlein configuration. The "dial-in" aspect of the controls is really an asset during set-up, especially when mic placement is limited due to space constraints at a location. They let you "fine-tune" the mic's pattern/roll-off/pad to compensate for less than ideal placement. It's worth the difference in price for that feature alone... besides getting a very substantial shock-mount and case.

I purchased mine at B&H Pro Photo (NYC) for $499.00 each, including free shipping. (The price shown is $599, but click on "email me a better price" link for the lower quote.) Great prices/service, and they carry a lot of pro audio gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old 9th June 2006
  #4
leg
Here for the gear
 

Certainly go for the N2000 over the NT2A. I'm not a Rode hater (i own 2 NTK's and have used the N2000), but I can see how the Rode bashing you hear around here sometimes can apply to the "cheaper" models, including the NT2A. The N2000 is on a different league.

Something really good about Rode is their service. A couple of times I had to have repairs done and they've taken care of everything (inc. shipping) for free, already out of warranty.

Luis
Old 9th June 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
zemlin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg
Something really good about Rode is their service. A couple of times I had to have repairs done and they've taken care of everything (inc. shipping) for free, already out of warranty.
BTDT with a pair of NT5s
Old 9th June 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rogervandeberg's Avatar
 

see Kiwiburger's note in this thread!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/73582-rode-nt2000-great-mic.html


Í like the sound of it very much!
Old 10th June 2006
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin
I'm very close to upgrading the my LDC selection. I've decided on a pair of Rode NT2As. I know there are other good options out there, but I've done my homework and am comfortable with the Rode offering. The only thing nagging me is if I should throw more money at the upgrade and get the NT2000s instead.

This mics will likely be used for everything from close vocals and acoustic instruments to choirs and orchestras. It's a matter of trying to weigh the value of knobs over swithes for the variable pattern. From what I understand, that's really the only difference between the two. Knobs for pad and HPF don't excite me.

Also, the NT2000 includes the shock mount and hard case, where the NT2A comes with a bag and a rigid clip - so that tips the scales a little - but upping the investment by 1.5x will put the purchase off for a while - I want to make sure that little knob is worth waiting for.

I guess one of each would be an option too - so I'd be variable on one and switched on the other.

I own a pair of NT2As. Love 'em. It just won Best Mic award out of 80 mics at MIPA.
Old 12th June 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
zemlin's Avatar
 

Thanks for the feedback folks, A pair of NT2000s is headed my way. If all goes as planned, I'll be putting them to work on Friday.


A couple of Oktava MK319s are headed for ebay.
Old 12th June 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin
Thanks for the feedback folks, A pair of NT2000s is headed my way. If all goes as planned, I'll be putting them to work on Friday.


A couple of Oktava MK319s are headed for ebay.
Great! Please tell us what you think about it since I am thinking about buying it as well. I recently compared the Rode NT1000 and the AT 4040, I preferred the AT4040, to me it was a little cleaner in the high end and generally slightly softer, to me it was even better than the AT4050... But I think in a mix tracks tracked with the Rode NT1000 could sound better. I don't know much about the Rode NT1000 compared to the Rode NT2000. What I noticed about the NT1000 compared to the AT4040 was that the AT4040 seemed a bit more noisy. The NT1000 was really guiet. If the NT2000 is much better than the NT1000 it's pretty realistic to expect the NT2000 to be generally better than the AT 40XX series, especially when run through a good pre amp. The NT1000 seemed quite colored compared to the AT 40XX though, so I guess both are useful in different contexts...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump