getting it all!!!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

getting it all!!!

hello

let me first introduce myself

i come from holland i'm a student at sae institute and still have a lot 2 learn
but never the less i'm getting myself some good gear to make music

the things i shall be doing is recording bands in my own at home studio but also live stuff and some comercial productions for tv radio and the internet

all kinds of flavours shall be made like hiphop, dance, soul, classic, rock and more

i hope some of you gearslutz can help me out by giving me some great tips etc.

here is the list so far:

- apogee ensemble

- 2x tannoy ellipse 8

- pre amps (dont know which one yet at least 8)

- extra AD DA convertors (which one?)

- midi interface (dont know which one yet)

- 2x headphone amplifier (thinking about behringer cheap and good)

- logic controller (allready have)

- korg k25 keyboard ('' '')

- m-audio trigger finger ( '' '')

- virus ti desktop ('' '')

- logic pro 7 ('' '')

- east west colossus

- native instruments komplete 3

hope to get some reaction

Grtz

Eric
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

gear to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ
hello

let me first introduce myself

i come from holland i'm a student at sae institute and still have a lot 2 learn
but never the less i'm getting myself some good gear to make music

the things i shall be doing is recording bands in my own at home studio but also live stuff and some comercial productions for tv radio and the internet

all kinds of flavours shall be made like hiphop, dance, soul, classic, rock and more

i hope some of you gearslutz can help me out by giving me some great tips etc.

here is the list so far:

- apogee ensemble

- 2x tannoy ellipse 8

- pre amps (dont know which one yet at least 8)

- extra AD DA convertors (which one?)

- midi interface (dont know which one yet)

- 2x headphone amplifier (thinking about behringer cheap and good)

- logic controller (allready have)

- korg k25 keyboard ('' '')

- m-audio trigger finger ( '' '')

- virus ti desktop ('' '')

- logic pro 7 ('' '')

- east west colossus

- native instruments komplete 3

hope to get some reaction

Grtz

Eric
Hi Eric
If you get ensemble (when it gets to you..still delayed) you probaly won´t need extra preamps and headphoneamplifier. One of the great features about ensemble among others is great preamps (according to the guys who had a chance to listen to it.) very good monitoring incl. two (two!) very loud headphones out.
Why extra ADDA?
With ensemble you get the "all in one solution", if you want other (better or different) sounding converters, well, buy that instead.
And Logic Pro will be very well integrated with ensemble.
re. the other stuff: Don´t know really, but your choice in monitors, well..?

Check the specs for ensemble on apogeedigital.com.

Two "problems" with Ensemble:
1. if you go for totally high end conversion we lack reviews for ensemble re: who good is it compared to what is normally considered high end.
2. It´s delayed, and there are no releasedate confirmed at the moment.

Good luck!

Soebx
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soebx
Hi Eric
If you get ensemble (when it gets to you..still delayed) you probaly won´t need extra preamps and headphoneamplifier. One of the great features about ensemble among others is great preamps (according to the guys who had a chance to listen to it.) very good monitoring incl. two (two!) very loud headphones out.
Why extra ADDA?
With ensemble you get the "all in one solution", if you want other (better or different) sounding converters, well, buy that instead.
And Logic Pro will be very well integrated with ensemble.
re. the other stuff: Don´t know really, but your choice in monitors, well..?
Soebx
wanna record bands incl. drums you need more then 4 pre amps

more inputs and outputs are always nice 2 have

whats do you think is wrong with tannoy ellipse ?(never heard them but tannoy sounds pretty good most of time)
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

A decent microphone collection? And a GREAT vocal mic?

Just my 2 ören!

Be well - Pär
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knastratt
A decent microphone collection? And a GREAT vocal mic?

Just my 2 ören!

Be well - Pär
mics are 2 expensive and there are 2 many choices to just go and buy them
so thats why i'm gonna rent the mics from friends i know
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

In 10 years from now, what you will be happy that you spent money on is quality microphones, preamps and room treatment.

In 10 years from now, what you will regret having spent lots of money on would be anything digital or computer related.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
In 10 years from now, what you will be happy that you spent money on is quality microphones, preamps and room treatment.

In 10 years from now, what you will regret having spent lots of money on would be anything digital or computer related.
can you be more specific because i was under the inpression that its better using digital

not only faster in the way to work but also less $$$ and not cheaper because its no good
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

My point is, quality microphones and preamps will still serve you well in 10 years from now, possibly longer. And help you make great recordings.

A G5 is a boat anchor in 10 years.

Buy computers and digital stuff second hand. You don't need the latest and fastest of everything. This is where you can save a lot of money.

Good mics and pres will hold their value well and make the most dramatic improvement to your recordings.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

digital boat anchor / save money

Quote:
My point is, quality microphones and preamps will still serve you well in 10 years from now, possibly longer. And help you make great recordings.

A G5 is a boat anchor in 10 years.

Buy computers and digital stuff second hand. You don't need the latest and fastest of everything. This is where you can save a lot of money.

Good mics and pres will hold their value well and make the most dramatic improvement to your recordings.

WISE WORDS!!!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfiguration
WISE WORDS!!!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

i know that but like i was saying there are 2 many mics to choice from so its better to check them all out before buying

got a powerbook g4 1,67 with 1,5gb memory so thats anough for a couple of years maybe a mac mini for some extra power (need one anyway)

i can get the tannoy ellipse for 499,- a piece in euros now so thats a really good deal

do any of you know something about the presonus digimax lt because somebody is offering this for 475,- euros and some reviews are pretty good
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

gettin it all

Quote:
wanna record bands incl. drums you need more then 4 pre amps

more inputs and outputs are always nice 2 have

whats do you think is wrong with tannoy ellipse ?(never heard them but tannoy sounds pretty good most of time)
well I wasn´t saying anything directly (trying not to!..), I havn´t heard them, but I´ve listened to other Tannoy products and remembered them to be, well not just my cup of tea. Harshsounding.
So I would just trying to make him reconsider. And my humble experience with gear is that you should spend both time and money on monitors.
To be more precise: Listen to at least4 different monitors in your pricerange and them over your pricerange and then find some more money..!
I myself listened to a lot, and can recommend NHT pro m- 20 (in denmark around 1000 USD pr. monitor). I actually listened to them connected to ensemble in a demo. or maybe ADAm p33 (on sale in a lot of countries)
I bought ADAM S3A myself (expensive!) and I´m sastified.

Re: Mic pres: Yes the more pres the better. I did missread him. (thought he´d only need 4, stupid me)
Actually I´ve ordered the ensemble myself but because of the delay I´m looking in other directions and re. mic pres I´ve seen a lot of good reviews for DAV electronics. Cheap stuff. I´m also considering Millenia.
But then again: If possibe: do some tests.

re: ADDA: Allthough i stillhave the feeling that ensemble is very good I´m looking into Mytek. (www.mytekdigital.com). I´ve listened to high quality samples on their website and it did sound good. You can try out Mytek for 15 days in the eu store.

from apogees webpage:
Ensemble features 36 channels of simultaneous audio, including 8 channels of Apogee’s legendary A/D and D/A conversion, 4 transparent, digitally controlled 75db mic preamps, 8 channels of ADAT I/O, 2 channels of S/PDIF coax and optical I/O, and FireWire connectivity to and from the computer

re. mics: I have a rode nt-2 with i think is considered a prosumer product, but it sounds good (not too coloured) and they are used in pro recordings as well.YOu can get them used (but be carefull) A friend of mine who is also owns a studio (he even won a Grammy in Denmark, best producer some years ago!) recommended the t - bone microphones. YOu can buy them from Thomann.de (germany). They are very cheap and could stand up against much much more expensive mics. The rumour says that one of the main studios in DK have ordered a bunch of these!

All the best
soebx
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

thnx for all your tips guys

about the monitors

checked alot of monitors (mackie, genelec, dynaudio, adam, krk ) but no ellipse and still think that it's the best choice

why? i dont know it's just a feeling in my belly
you guys know what i'm talking about right! heh
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

about the monitors

checked alot of monitors (mackie, genelec, dynaudio, adam, krk ) but no ellipse and still think that it's the best choice

When it comes to monitors, I'd ignore the feeling in your belly and make your decision based on the feeling in your ears.....
Don't buy ANY monitors without listening to them in YOUR room. Period.

-Z-
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

And may I add Compressors and Eq's...

You could use these forever if they don't break and not worry about the next better product...
Old 11th June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Quote:

about the monitors

no way you listen to that belly ! - Tannoy = not as good as many other brands ...

get genelecs or dynaudio or adam .. you cant go wrong with any of those

and oh yeah : Do get a mic - Get a AKG 414 .. or even a Rode if money is a problem .. really .. you will feel so embaressed if you can't record some great singer or musician that passes by in your studio .. Oh, wait, I have to rent the mic ... ...
Your number 1 thing in the studio to have, is a decent microphone ...
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

If money is no object -

Check out emes speakers (emes blcks or violets). Get a pair vintage neve 1073's, api 6 slot lunch box with 2x512, 2x550 and 2x5?? (their compressor). Api 3124's. Now you have 8 great pre's. Maybe 4 more is neede if you want to mic a kit properly (pacifica, germanium, great river, millenia, pendulam, dada dada dada). You'll need atleast another stereo EQ so GML 8200 or Manley Massive Passive. Also must have pair of distressors for guitars. Get a vintage c12 and u47 and sony c800g. Now rob another bank and buy an original elam 251.

I hope that helps.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

Oh yeah and for the bank robbery you'll need an accomplis and two 9 millimeter berrata's. Also look at ski masks as the old stockings can get really uncomfortable!
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

ok so i put my order on a set tannoy ellipse (just had to do it)

next day new mail "sorry they are out of stock late august where on stock again"
#### why do stores put stuff in special sales when they got zero at stock

so i had to cancel my order at that point

now i can get a pair of dynaudio bm6 actives for 1050,- 2nd hand (normal price 1650,- )
plus a pair of yamaha ns10 as reference monitors for a combo price at 1300,-

but i also spoke to someone who let his speakers be made by some other dude
he is saying its much better because now he has his dream set for a afordable price
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
ok so i put my order on a set tannoy ellipse (just had to do it)

next day new mail "sorry they are out of stock late august where on stock again"
#### why do stores put stuff in special sales when they got zero at stock

so i had to cancel my order at that point

now i can get a pair of dynaudio bm6 actives for 1050,- 2nd hand (normal price 1650,- )
plus a pair of yamaha ns10 as reference monitors for a combo price at 1300,-

but i also spoke to someone who let his speakers be made by some other dude
he is saying its much better because now he has his dream set for a afordable price
Go for it!
Try everything you can get your hands on, if it suits you keep it, if not; get rid of it.

soebx
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Addict

update

well i got me some bm5 monitors and they sound good for now

now i wanna buy some great plugins or maybe good hardware why because i'm scared

can i still use my software in 10 years from now even if i'm running on another os and there isn't any support anymore etc. etc. i guess not

so hardware is more expensive in the beginning but you get to enjoy it way longer then software or is it?

thinking about getting a powercore firewire and from there working my way up with hardware is this the way ?

thnx again for all they great advice heh
Old 8th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
thinking about getting a powercore firewire and from there working my way up with hardware is this the way ?
or maybe a muse receptor heh
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Addict

update

novation bass station is on his way over here old skool baby
got myself some dynaudios bm5s and i love it
a motu 828mkII firewire audio interface
didnt wanna wait for the ensemble and this saved me some money
then i tought what the hell

you know what happens when you have to muts money and think what the helll heh

moog little phatty tribute edition should be here half august

it's getting there as you can see but i neeeeeed more (dont we all )

i saw some videos of the summer namm 2006 and the BOSS RC-50
just a nice piece of equipment for 500,- euros don't you think
getting things done real simple and fast at home or with performance on stage

are there any slutz using one allready?

thnx for your comments so far guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search