The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is my behavior capricious?? Studio Headphones
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Is my behavior capricious??

Hi mates!
first of all please forgive me for any mistakes that I might do due to my English.

I don't know if the "capricious" word is the right one...but I am sure you will understand me.

Here is my situation:
I am a studio owner and engineer.
My studio layout is like this: monitors,LCD's in front and my analog console(soundcraft sapphyre) and rack behind me.
Why i mention this?
Well everytime I have someone in the control ,always they find it nice to sit on the console's armrest.
I am trying to be polite and telling them to sit on the chairs....but they keep sitting on the armrest.
When i am telling again i can see on their faces that they say "ohh what an as.....le"
Another situation is this:
The recording room is on the left side of the CR.There is a door and everytime in the room is someone playing and a producer in the CR the door is opening every time the player does a mistake!!
Again i am trying to be polite and telling the producer "please use the foldback mic or just stay in the studio with the player"
The answer is "oh come on i will buy you a new door"
Always in out in out in out......

My next reaction will be out of control I think, because they don't understand or they are deff!!

Please tell me guys , are these right to be happening or I am the only as....le in this??
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

FLETCHER! It's time for you to enter and teach this guy how to be the überking of the womb. *waiting*
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannis
Always in out in out in out......

Hmmmm...
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm with you. But I get pissed off when my next door neighbor has company over that parks their car in front of my house. Sitting on your desk is definitley a no-no.tutt
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Guru

you need to make it an univiting place to sit
Attached Thumbnails
Is my behavior capricious??-spikefield.jpg  
Old 9th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Well, at least they left some room for the skateboarders to grind that bench in the pic above.

I would be pissed if people sat on my console as well, if I had a console. I know what you mean though, because I record in my band's rehearsal space at the moment. Not the best environment but it is all I have at this time and I have everything piled upon and rack cases stacked beside a big old metal desk and the other day I came in to see a ****ty ghetto blaster shoved into the cone of my new monitors. I was very displeased. No damage was done but there is going to be a smackdown when I see other people's crap piled on that desk again.
Old 9th June 2006
500 series nutjob

i think it would be better to just say if you fukking set their or open the dam door i will rip your head off, are we clear?
speak with authority right off the bat that way their is no room for miss communication.
sometimes it is better to be blunt ant to the point, less hard feelings in the long run.
well maybe not rip their head off but you get the point.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Make an instantly recognizable pic,
print it and hang it on the door, or anywhere for that matter...

My Mackies weren't even 100 % out of the box yet and there were fingers everywhere in the tweeters & woofers.( Family.....)

(Somehow tweeters & woofers are irresistable to non-audio people.
Hokey Pokey we know it's expensive but what harm can it do to poke a finger or two....
Suprised actually noone else ever ranted about this on these forums.)

So I took a Mackie 824 pic from the web, put another pic of a pointing finger over it (now pointing towards the speaker) and painted a GIANT RED CROSS over it.
After printing they now hang everywhere.

Now everyone who visits me just pretends
to put his finger into it. Funny people.......

Sorry for the whole anecdote, guess I needed to vent.

What I'm saying is;

Why not put a sign/simple sentence on the entrance door making clear there is NO touching your stuff.

Don't feel bad, THEY are uncivilized idiots, not you.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I hear you on the going in and out of the room with every mistake. We've recorded a couple of bands where the singer would be giving "advice" at every slight mistake. At one point I told one particular guy to stop listening to the guitarist and just concentrate on the drum tracks (in front of the guitarist in question. I don't think he was happy!) as he was starting to get pissed off with all the interference. Some people just can't leave things alone.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've found that being a likable jerk is a virtue. That way you can say what's on your mind, people expect that of you, but don't dislike you... unless you want them to dislike you.

Every once in a while I'll be doing a rap album and there'll be 10 huge gangsters with 40-oz's drunk off their ass, and I'll have to get mean and yell at them that no drinks are allowed in the control room.

I never got a cap in the dome. In fact they respect that and understand that if I care about my gear, I probably also care about making a great album for them.

But you have to be firm. If you don't say anything or try to be too nice, people will do all kinds of unthinkable things.
Old 9th June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
I've found that being a likable jerk is a virtue.
But you have to be firm. If you don't say anything or try to be too nice, people will do all kinds of unthinkable things.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w
Old 9th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

What the hell, I'll give a few as well.
Old 9th June 2006
pan
Lives for gear

Make that five

You cannot take World-Domination and noone ever will, but you definitely have to dominate your own Womb.

I don't care, what the bands do in the lounge, but the control-room is MY reign!

n
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Do What I do....I have a baseball bat leaning on mine. No Lie! It gets the point across.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thank you guys for your answers!
now I know I am not alone!!
These things are giving me a lot of headaches.
Today I had an acoustic guitar session.
I was in the control listening all the **** the player was playing!
"stop stop ..wrong chord....again"
I have stopped and .....suddenly I heard a very loud boom from my genies!!
I said "what is that man?"
and the jerk in the studio said that he had blow on the mic capsule!!!!
'why did you do that man?"
no answer..just a stupid smileheh
I felt all my veins to expand and my head ready to explode!!!
i wanted to kill him!!

My problems here are with a couple of assholes!dfegad
they are the same stupid guys that want to be charged not for the booking time...but only for the time they spend in the studio!!
they never come in time.always late and they think that I have to charge from the time that they arive!
Well I don't do that...not anymore!tutt
I will stop to be the nice guy!!
After this topic I will say whatever i think is wrong,so if they like it is ok ,and if they don't I don't give a ****!
There are many studios to go!
I would like my head in its place!!!
Old 9th June 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have stopped and .....suddenly I heard a very loud boom from my genies!!
I said "what is that man?"
and the jerk in the studio said that he had blow on the mic capsule!!!!
'why did you do that man?"
no answer..just a stupid smileheh
I felt all my veins to expand and my head ready to explode!!!
i wanted to kill him!!
That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read. Why on earth would that guy blow into the microphone? Especially since he said "he had to do it." I am surprised you kept your cool and didn't lose it.

"Hey man, I'm playing the wrong chords and that mic of yours keeps lookin' at me the wrong way, so I had to blow into it to make it stop."

Morons.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher

"Hey man, I'm playing the wrong chords and that mic of yours keeps lookin' at me the wrong way, so I had to blow into it to make it stop."

Morons.
Old 10th June 2006
A row of inverted nails on the armrest ought to do the trick... or, if that sounds too dangerous, you could get some nice ornamental ironwork -- like thte top of an iron fence -- and mount that there.

On the door -- electric bolt locks. Switch under the console right in front of your so anyone reaching for it is easy to smack in the side of the head or grab his arm and give him a good judo twist that puts him on the floor...

It might sound a bit draconian but it will establish that you're serious...

heh
Old 10th June 2006
Quote:

My problems here are with a couple of assholes!dfegad
they are the same stupid guys that want to be charged not for the booking time...but only for the time they spend in the studio!!
they never come in time.always late and they think that I have to charge from the time that they arive!
Well I don't do that...not anymore!tutt
I will stop to be the nice guy!!
After this topic I will say whatever i think is wrong,so if they like it is ok ,and if they don't I don't give a ****!
There are many studios to go!
I would like my head in its place!!!
Some people don't respect what they don't pay for.

Make them pay double.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search