The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Background vocals...
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Background vocals...

Do you tend to use one preamp and vocal mic combination for all background vocal tracks on a song??? This is in regards to recording tracks and parts individually. Thank you
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

There is no reason not to ... you can get enough variation in sound and space by varying the distance from the mic, and numerous mixing options.

Many classic albums were done on consols that had the same preamps on each channel. Some people argue that using the same preamps gives you a desirable color. Other people suggest that using different preamps gives more variety - it's very much an artistic choice.

If you have a choice of mics & preamps, and time to kill, by all means try everything and use what works. Otherwise don't worry about.
Old 9th June 2006
Here for the gear

for a quick answer no I dont......... I do alot of R&B , Soul and Gospel.... in R&B i use t he part and way of singin it etc to choose tone.... I try to gain my color for the part in tracking b4 mixing.... no heavy EQ though... if its like a falsetto kind of thing you may want a brighter pre.... low harmonys a thicker one etc........ As a rule if time allows I always use a diff chain for leads and backs and patch into whatever the current part is....oh and I always compress a little more (not nuke on the distressor more) on backs especially if you do the Atypical hard pan thing to keep it consistent across....

-Eric

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search