The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Custom Studio Desks
Old 12th June 2012
Here for the gear

Custom Studio Desks

I've been reading through many of the DIY desk options and have basically figured out what I need to do. I'm 16 so my gear is limited and pretty pathetic but i'm working towards more. I'm looking to make a desk to replace my L-shaped desk (horrid for studio work) so me and my brother were looking to build one ourselves. I have the basic plan as a:

Main desk for piano keyboard, beatpads, ect.
Drawer for computer keyboard, mouse, phone, quick access stuff, ect.

Then I want 2 racks on either side angled towards me on top of the main desk for interfaces and preamps but am not sure what widths to make them.

Lastly a center board across where my monitors will stay.

What widths are most full size interfaces and preamps, ect. And do you have any other tips or idea for me, i'm really interested and would like this to be able to last me for a while until the point where I have so much gear I need to upgrade (Hopefully not for a while)

Thanks!
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Addict

Rack gear is 19" wide.

If you build a rack, you have to make the internal dimensions of the space 19.25" wide, as the rack rails you need to install have a thickness around 1/16" - 1/8"..unless you counter sink the rails into the side panels.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
MAN! Wikipedia has just about EVERYTHING!!!
Old 12th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvent View Post
MAN! Wikipedia has just about EVERYTHING!!!
I was not only looking for rack dimensions i'm looking for ideas and tips on me doing it. I'm only 16 i'm not completely sure on where to go with this.
Old 12th June 2012
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Addict

You can get rack rails at guitar center. Then just build a pair of rack boxes to sit on your desk. The INSIDE width should be 19" plus a breath (maybe a 16th of an inch), the inside height should be 1.75" for each rack space plus a little extra for ventilation space, and as deep as you think your gear might be. Open back is a plus. Then just screw your rack rails inside the sides of the boxes.

In some of the more ghetto incarnations of my own home studio, I've just mounted my rack gear to the bare rails and let it sit naked on my desk. You'd be surprised how stabe that actually is. Where I'm going with this is that your freestanding rack boxes don't have to be all that structurally amazing; the gear mounted in them will keep them stable. Just make sure they're built well enough not to rattle. Rubber feet are a good idea for that reason.

One reason I'm suggesting freestanding boxes is just so you can move them later. Unless you've got a lot of production under your belt and know how you want things to suit your workflow, you'll find that you end up wanting things in different places than you had them at the beginning. I've build three completely custom desks (after having several prebuilt ones) and only now do I finally feel that everything is starting to make real sense to my workflow. So don't build anything too permanent; leave yourself some room for relocating things.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Start with a simple box, don't get fancy with angles on your first build !
For most racks I go 19.5in wide and use some washers to set the rails 19.25 this gives me room for some gear that's just a little bit too wide.
I suggest a simple pocket joint jig, makes for clean screw less exteriors .
Also my first racks used wood for rails, it was easy to find and cheaper than real rails !
Always build more space than you think you will need, because you will use it !
Keep in mind you might need space for venting!
The worlds of touring and install taught me to love deep racks with rear rails, these make cable management, out board PSUs and wallwarts less pain full.

Get to know the products of Penn Elcom, lots of low cost racking bits and pieces that make life easy in the long run!
Oh and use patchbays life is simpler if you don't have to dig in the back of your racks !
Old 12th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicasaur View Post
You can get rack rails at guitar center. Then just build a pair of rack boxes to sit on your desk. The INSIDE width should be 19" plus a breath (maybe a 16th of an inch), the inside height should be 1.75" for each rack space plus a little extra for ventilation space, and as deep as you think your gear might be. Open back is a plus. Then just screw your rack rails inside the sides of the boxes.

In some of the more ghetto incarnations of my own home studio, I've just mounted my rack gear to the bare rails and let it sit naked on my desk. You'd be surprised how stabe that actually is. Where I'm going with this is that your freestanding rack boxes don't have to be all that structurally amazing; the gear mounted in them will keep them stable. Just make sure they're built well enough not to rattle. Rubber feet are a good idea for that reason.

One reason I'm suggesting freestanding boxes is just so you can move them later. Unless you've got a lot of production under your belt and know how you want things to suit your workflow, you'll find that you end up wanting things in different places than you had them at the beginning. I've build three completely custom desks (after having several prebuilt ones) and only now do I finally feel that everything is starting to make real sense to my workflow. So don't build anything too permanent; leave yourself some room for relocating things.
I think i found a good design for stationary racks but i might look into building a seperate free standing one that i can move around for later use! Thanks for the tip!
Old 12th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Start with a simple box, don't get fancy with angles on your first build !
For most racks I go 19.5in wide and use some washers to set the rails 19.25 this gives me room for some gear that's just a little bit too wide.
I suggest a simple pocket joint jig, makes for clean screw less exteriors .
Also my first racks used wood for rails, it was easy to find and cheaper than real rails !
Always build more space than you think you will need, because you will use it !
Keep in mind you might need space for venting!
The worlds of touring and install taught me to love deep racks with rear rails, these make cable management, out board PSUs and wallwarts less pain full.

Get to know the products of Penn Elcom, lots of low cost racking bits and pieces that make life easy in the long run!
Oh and use patchbays life is simpler if you don't have to dig in the back of your racks !
Thanks for the tips man! I really appreciate it. You have any other companies that provide other gear for cheap. I dont have much money so i'd like to save any way i can!
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Another thing you may find helpful is to go into any local music stores, Guitar Center, etc and look at existing desks that you can buy and use their designs as inspiration. You can usually find a few good designs that you can use as a starting point. Go online and you might find some basic dimensions too.

As far as gear for cheap, what are you looking for? I've not really run into much "cheap" gear that isn't cheap quality, so be careful there and try before you buy as much as you can. Create some good relationships with local shops if you have any nearby. There are plenty of online vendors too, several with a presence here on GS.

hth
Old 12th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
also just saw this, when searching for that:

How to Build a Studio Rack

matt
I can vouch for this site. Very good designs there. Wish their forum was more active though.
Old 12th June 2012
Here for the gear

Starting out, I'm sure you'll be using a few 1/2 rack size boxes; you can buy little dogs ears to attach to the rails in your box/stand and then place a piece of 1/8" thick wood down as a shelf. Remember that by doing this, a 1u unit will require 2u worth of rack space to account for the shelf/dog ear brackets when designing. You can also drill some holes in the shelf to facilitate better cooling, I just randomly put in a bunch of 1/2" holes in a small circle-shaped space about 4" in diameter right where the middle of the gear is going to sit. If you make the rack 19.5" wide you can fit 2 units on the same shelf.
Old 12th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattie1096 View Post
Starting out, I'm sure you'll be using a few 1/2 rack size boxes; you can buy little dogs ears to attach to the rails in your box/stand and then place a piece of 1/8" thick wood down as a shelf. Remember that by doing this, a 1u unit will require 2u worth of rack space to account for the shelf/dog ear brackets when designing. You can also drill some holes in the shelf to facilitate better cooling, I just randomly put in a bunch of 1/2" holes in a small circle-shaped space about 4" in diameter right where the middle of the gear is going to sit. If you make the rack 19.5" wide you can fit 2 units on the same shelf.
or just buy a universal rack shelf and save space!
Old 13th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
or just buy a universal rack shelf and save space!
I'm just thinking low-budget.
Old 13th June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvent View Post
Another thing you may find helpful is to go into any local music stores, Guitar Center, etc and look at existing desks that you can buy and use their designs as inspiration. You can usually find a few good designs that you can use as a starting point. Go online and you might find some basic dimensions too.

As far as gear for cheap, what are you looking for? I've not really run into much "cheap" gear that isn't cheap quality, so be careful there and try before you buy as much as you can. Create some good relationships with local shops if you have any nearby. There are plenty of online vendors too, several with a presence here on GS.

hth
Maybe used gear vendor.. i know guitar center sells used gear but its not at much of a discount. Any other vendors that sell used quality gear for a pretty good discount?
Old 17th November 2012
Here for the gear

hi,

we make custom made studio desks to your specs and needs (and budget)

if you're after something please check us out Harvest custom made studio desks and mention you came through gearslutz.

every desk we make is individual to you, your gear and workflow. I'm not a globo company, i do this as a hobby next to my other business so i dont charge ridiculous prices for the product, just looking to make beautiful workstations for musicians at a fraction of what the other guys charge... any inquiries welcome
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search