The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken AK47 or Neumann TLM49? Condenser Microphones
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Head

Telefunken AK47 or Neumann TLM49?

I am considering both of these mics and have heard good things about each of them here on these forums. The people that I have spoken to, who have actually used the AK47, have raved about this mic. I have yet to try either one, any input would be great. The AK47 is version 2.

Thanks
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danosol
The AK47 is version 2.
I believe that there is only one version of the AK-47. Regardless, it's still a great sounding mic.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Never used them, sorry..
Google search shows Russian Origin :
Looks solid !

Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix
Never used them, sorry..
Google search shows Russian Origin :
Looks solid !

Damn dude, did you see the one with the underbarrel grenade launcher? Now that's what I'd call a weapon...
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Head

I believe that there is only one version of the AK-47. Regardless, it's still a great

The one I was looking at has the usa built transformer. Which I believe that they are offering on the M16 also( grenades are extra).heh
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

They are very directional, though. Be sure to have it pointed correctly...
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I understood that the Telefunken AK47 was being marketed as a broadcast mic - presumably targetted mostly at voice-overs etc. I imagine that the machismo factor in the naming is part of their strategy to appeal to this particular sector of the market...

As such, I'd be surprised to find anyone comparing it to the TLM49 which, although yet to be time tested, is certainly aiming at a rather different market (studio vocal rather than voice-over).
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Head

Any aditional replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Head

To be honest I actually tried the Telefunken M16 when it came out (pre upgrade) and it sounded much better than a KSM 27, Studio Projects C1 and Rode NT 1000. Did it sound a thousand Dollars bettter than those mics? I don't know, nor do I have enough experience to answer that. I too was concerened regarding the Apex comparisons thats why I put up this thread. I did call Telefunken and was satisfied with their explanation on the matter ( I would recommend others to do the same if considering their RFT Microphones).
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

Bump!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

My advice...

Test them both out and see which one you like better, because at the end of the day, YOU have to be happy with your decision. Also, why limit yourself to just those two mics, try out a bunch of them in that price range. You might find that there is something else you like better.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

Unfortunately GC is the only place where I live that has any mics for me to take home and try and the selection is limited.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately GC is the only place where I live that has any mics for me to take home and try and the selection is limited.
where are you located?
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

Seattle area.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am considering both of these mics and have heard good things about each of them here on these forums. The people that I have spoken to, who have actually used the AK47, have raved about this mic. I have yet to try either one, any input would be great. The AK47 is version 2.

Thanks
I would imagine that in the entire world- and I mean everywhere, there are probably less then a dozen people who have time on both who could make that call.

The likelyhood that one or two of said dozen are on Gearslutz is about zero.

Long story short: Good luck finding informed opinions on TLM49 vs AK47 when large portions of the world can't even buy a TLM49 yet. . .

Not trying to be negative- mea culpa if I am. Best of luck. Shooting from the hip, I'd say go with the TLM49. But I haven't tried either of 'em, so you shouldn't take that advice.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly
Shooting from the hip, I'd say go with the TLM49. But I haven't tried either of 'em, so you shouldn't take that advice.
Hey, at least you're honest...
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Head Sound
Hey, at least you're honest...
Heh heh. Just calling it like I see it. IMO I'd say get a used U87- but that's 'cause I've used 'em enough and yours truly wants one for his own locker! This thread isn't about me though, so pay no attention to the U87 thing.

I digress, back on topic: Would the two people in the world who've tried these mics please stand up?
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly

I digress, back on topic: Would the two people in the world who've tried these mics please stand up?
(stays seated)....

However, I didn't offer up an opinion on the TLM49, so I not talking out my @$$ heh and that has to count for something.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Head Sound
(stays seated)....

However, I didn't offer up an opinion on the TLM49, so I not talking out my @$$ heh and that has to count for something.
Yeah, that's kinda how I feel too. It counts for a lot!

My original post was intended to point out how few have actually had the time/opportunity to really compare the two.

I sure as $hit don't have anything to say on the two, either. Good call, good call. I like the cut of your jib.

I will say I've been pretty pleased that there really hasn't been much of the "heard from a friend who read it on tape op being passed on as fact" in this thread.

Anyways, the more I write, the less I'm staying on topic.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Head

Just got the TLM 49 today and have the AK 47 Telefunken to try out on a rock singer within the next few days. Hopefully it will be an easy decision cause I certainly can't afford both of these mics.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just got the TLM 49 today and have the AK 47 Telefunken to try out on a rock singer within the next few days. Hopefully it will be an easy decision cause I certainly can't afford both of these mics.
Hey, now that's the way to do it.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my singer here anytime soon to audition these mics. Is there a way for a guy like myself (who can't sing) to audition or test these mics in a way with my own voice to make my decision.

For instance are there spoken words I can use that may be useful in testing these mics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
For instance are there spoken words I can use that may be useful in testing these mics.
A speech test will be better than no test at all.

To get a fair appraisal of the relative capabilities of the mics, you really need singers (plural). Preferably at least three different singers with different voice timbres and at least one of each gender. And you also need multiple pairs of ears (preferably at least several of them being trained ears).

Bearing in mind that you don't have all that on hand just now, in the short term a speech test should give an interesting first indication of what you may have there. Try using short sentences (same for each mic) with lots of voice modulation and plenty of vowels and consonants (including the sibilant consonants such as "s", "t" and "f" etc). Listen for the transitions between phonemes/sounds, then for harshness, edginess, slurr or blurr on the sibilant peaks, and for muddiness and/or boxiness in the vowel sounds. Also note the overall edginess or grittiness or the sound of the voice thru each mic.

Then wait (without drawing any final conclusions) until you have had a chance to try several singers at various distances from the mics and compare. More than anything, the speech tests will give you a better indication of what to listen for when the singers are doing their stuff.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

So far I've done the Do RE Me Fa So La T Do thing to test the mics(K2, Ak47, TLM49). I have noticed a difference between the mics, however I too feel that I'll need to have a singer audition the mics to get a better idea. So far from my tests I like the AK47 best.

It has more lower end bloom and sits in front a little more. The K2 sounds very similar but the bottom end seems to fade more on the mid to high notes. The TLM49 is very flat natural sounding but not very flattering (lacking a little bottom end roundness), but I still liked it a lot. I will post more info when I get a real voice on it.
Old 18th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have posted vocals through the TLM49 and various pres on the thread TLM49 first impressions.
FYI
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Head

I have posted vocals through the TLM49 and various pres on the thread TLM49 first impressions.
FYI
16th June 2006 10:11 AM

Thanks I have seen those threads and I appreciate all your time in auditioning the TLM49 for us. A very trusted friend and salesperson really liked the Telefunken AK47 and suggested I get that mic for the price range that I am looking in. He is a big vintage officianado and really knows his stuff and own many vintage mics including the U47. Unfortunately he has yet to try out the TLM49.

This is where my problem lies. I am trying to get some time set up really soon to audition these mics with a singer. I believe you said that you have the Rode K2 How did the TLM 49 compare to that.

Thanks
Old 19th June 2006
Here for the gear
Telefunken or TLM149???

Hey,

Can't help you with the first mic, heard good things about them. But I'll say on the TLM149 side, for the money, it's a great, great, great mic! Really, smooooth on male vox and acoustic guitar as well. As someone said in a previous reply, NEUMANN products are always or almost always reliable. I completely agree. And this is a fantastic new product. I'm sure once it is available to everyone, (I HEAR THERE ARE A TON OF BACK ORDERS ALREADY, try Guitar Center), there will be many people who agree. Pretty solid, vibey looking thing too...Love it...

Good Luck...MB
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
So far I've done the Do RE Me Fa So La T Do thing to test the mics(K2, Ak47, TLM49). I have noticed a difference between the mics, however I too feel that I'll need to have a singer audition the mics to get a better idea. So far from my tests I like the AK47 best.

It has more lower end bloom and sits in front a little more. The K2 sounds very similar but the bottom end seems to fade more on the mid to high notes. The TLM49 is very flat natural sounding but not very flattering (lacking a little bottom end roundness), but I still liked it a lot. I will post more info when I get a real voice on it.
Hi danso
Have you done a better test of the mics yet?
Do you still like the AK47 or do you like the TLM49 now?
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi danso
Have you done a better test of the mics yet?
Do you still like the AK47 or do you like the TLM49 now?

No not yet I was supposed to have a really good R&B singer here on Tuesday to audition the mics for me but she had to back out. I am hoping to get the testing done soon maybe tommorow.

I will post as soon as I can, believe me I very anxious to get this over with and move on.
Old 22nd June 2006
Now read what pegleg wrote again.... There was a very long thread a few years back about this mic and the quote below is about how it ended before it was locked. I too have 0 (that is ZERO) respect for them. Sorry.... oh and if money is tight, there are about 5 mics I think I would take a look at before either of these. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg
I would suggest you try to demo a Telefunken, and compare it against something 'known good', before you consider that purchase. I don't want to re-open a can of worms, but it's pretty well known that their original version of the RFT M16 was pretty much a rebadged $200 Apex Chinese tube mic. I demoed one of them myself, and consider the mic worth more or less $200 (not the $1200 that Tele was selling them for). Which is to say - lacking tone, VERY bright/harsh/tinny, and actually noisier than the Apex!

I know they have supposedly made more improvements, but I personally lost all respect for the company then, based on the mic they sold me (which I returned), and what they told me in phone calls and email... I took their high end reproductions off my wish list as well.

Personally, while I agree that the new Neumann line doesn't quite live up to their vintage designs, I think their current mics are all good in their price range. I have found no Chinese (or Australian) mic that equals a TLM103 in that price range. Same for the M147, U87Ai, etc. I hope to try a TLM49 soon. I find their mics to be reliable, consistent, and ultimately, useable. On most everything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search