The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken AK47 or Neumann TLM49? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agli View Post
naming mics after assault rifles is not cool. AK47, M16. Alicia Keys??? uhh.
dfegad morons
I don't know if you're a troll or not, but this issue has actually come up many times before. I've heard several people complain about the M16 and AK47 being named after guns, deeming it inappropriate; some have gone so far as to boycott the products! Well, I find it ironic and hilarious that so many of these guys are U47 worshippers, completely oblivious to the fact that this holiest of grails was facetiously named after a **** war submarine. Military-inspired model numbers are nothing new, people. Get over it.

Jeez, talk about your treehuggin' softies, huh?? Oh what a wonderful age we live in when "men" - and I use the term extreeeeemely loosely - can find political incorrectness in a $%!#&@ microphone. hahaha
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
...Well, I find it ironic and hilarious that so many of these guys are U47 worshippers, completely oblivious to the fact that this holiest of grails was facetiously named after a **** war submarine.
I do not believe this is correct.

As it happens, all the Neumann microphone models that bore the prefix U were so named because they offered switchable polar patterns (Umschaltbar being the German word meaning "switchable"). The 47 was added to signify the year (1947) that the first successful prototype was completed.

Meanwhile, the fact that some years earlier a specific German Uboat (lost at sea in 1941) was similarly identified appears entirely coincidental. Moreover in 1947, two years after a crushing **** defeat, celebration of a lost war vessel was scarcely humor-de-rigeur in Berlin.

So you can find choose to "find it ironic and hilarious" however you see fit, but I prefer to keep looking.
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrockyhorror View Post
Oh what a wonderful age we live in when "men" - and I use the term extreeeeemely loosely - can find political incorrectness in a $%!#&@ microphone. hahaha
Darn. So much for my microphone suggestion, then.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search