The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Guitar Center Preferred Player or Sweetwater All Access
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head
Guitar Center Preferred Player or Sweetwater All Access

Here it is. I am in great need of new sounds for my productions. I am part of the production team RicandThadeus. We sell instrumentals through our two websites. Im pretty sure you have heard that before. Basically I need NI Komplete 8. No if ands or buts about it. The guitar center and sweetwater both have it for $1000. I need it very soon. Both places are offering a no interest option, albeit sweetwaters has a 18month option. I will pay the piece off well before the time is up, but my current situation would not allow me to pay $1000 up front. I figure that if I put $500 down it would make the monthly payment extremely low, which I could easily manage on my new income through my job and also easily through my extra music income, which totals anywhere from $50 per week to $300. The one plus about the guitar center, is that there is one located in my city, which is Lexington, Ky so I would have instant access and ability to pay my bill with no worries of send online payments and the ability to go and demo products.

What is your take on the situation.
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head
dont mean to bump...and this may be in the wrong area but does anybody have any insight to this?
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Maniac

That's a good question. They both have their merits.

Sweetwater seems to have a wider range of product offerings (especially mid-to-high end) though, for future purchase considerations.

If it matters, Sweetwater's financing is with GE, where Guitar Center's is with HSBC (or at least it used to be.)
Who has the best interest rates when there aren't any promotions going on?

Also, since you mention putting $500 down up front, Sweetwater has that 3-month financing option that you can just use with your own debit/credit card (as does AMS and Zzounds - assuming they have what you are looking for.) That way you don't have to get another "evil" credit card (I've been irresponsible in the past and went and got BOTH Sweetwater AND Guitar Center credit cards at the same time, fwiw.)
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head

If it makes any difference to you HSBC has been bought out by Capital One. I've had the GC card for years. I like that I can make a payment online the day it is due and it posts that day. Keeps the interest gremlins away!
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

HSBC has brutal interest fees if you are late even a day. As much as minimum payment. Beware!
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

If you have $500, and make 50-300 a week, why not wait 2 more weeks and pay cash? Best interest rate you can get that way, also the least worry. Also, look around online, I bet theres a way to get it for less than $1000. There's been all kinds of sales lately.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head
Well right now, Guitar Center is offering 12 months no interest same as cash until the end of the month on their card. Sweetwater is offering 12 months no interest and 18 months no interest on select items and komplete 8 ultimate is one of them. With 500 down, i know that my payments would be super low. I could wait till i had the money to buy it outright, but I can never save up that much money at once because of how I am. I plan to pay it off well before the 12 months, as I know I could make the basic payments, but pay larger chunks with my music hustle money. The main leg up I have given to the GC is that it is about 10 minutes from my house, and I could make payments at the store which is a great option to have. The only reason I brought this up is because right now, I know that I have pretty much maxed out the sounds I have. This would be a great investment, with some financial risk, but it would allow me to generate more income more easily.
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Addict

It depends on what kind of service you want as well. It's pretty awesome having a dedicated sales rep that you can call and troubleshoot issues with (and generally they know way more than GC employees) and they also have software download options.

But, like you said, you have GC within 10 minutes, so you can pick up gear or pay your bill. As others have said, also depends on the backing bank and what the real terms and conditions are.

Can't you call your sweetwater rep to pay the bill for the card (I don't know if somebody can actually answer that...or I can ask my rep tomorrow when I make a purchase)?
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricandthadeus View Post
but I can never save up that much money at once because of how I am. I plan to pay it off well before the 12 months, as I know I could make the basic payments, but pay larger chunks with my music hustle money.
I don't personally care how you want to handle it, but this kind of statement is what scares me- because I know where I was at in my life several years ago. Something amazing happens though when you decide to save towards things- it starts to happen. It really is a change in mindset. Just food for thought; I don't borrow money for any reason anymore so that would affect anything I could say.

Quote:
The only reason I brought this up is because right now, I know that I have pretty much maxed out the sounds I have. This would be a great investment, with some financial risk, but it would allow me to generate more income more easily.
What is it that gives you evidence you have maxed out your sounds? If you can program a synth, you never have maxed out your sounds, and with TONS of free plugins out there, as well as many organic ways of messing with sounds, I bet you could use just a few basic sounds and come up with about 20 complete and completely different sounding tracks just from those few basic source sounds if you worked at it. It seems to me that only a few basic soudns are really going on in any chart hit these days anyway, supersaw, squeal, wobble bass, 808, whatever, but yet each song has its own flavor (I'm not a fan of much modern stuff, but have to play it a lot for gigs and I enjoy programming synths, so I try to at least dig the sounds they are getting). Again, just food for thought, I don't mean to sound argumentative.

From another perspective, the komplete that is $1000 is komplete ultimate, the "incomplete" komplete is $499, has over 100gb of samples, maybe that fills your need and you don't have a need for the other stuff in ultimate. Building your own synths in reaktor gives pretty much unlimited possibilities, and it also has kontakt, massive, etc.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

In the end, it's your life and your financial picture, so I don't mean to preach to you, even though I probably did. Whatever you do, I honestly hope it works out the way that you want and that you are able to meet your goals with your music.

EDIT: Checking out your soundclick page now, your tracks sound really good. They are produced well and have original sounds. They also sound different from each other while having enough in common to know that the same person did them. I especially like "Don't Try Us," the bell sounds are very cool and the changes are pretty nasty sounding.
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head

Just so we're clear here, you can NOT make your GC Credit Card payments in the brick and mortar store. Mail/phone/web only.
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Last thing I bought was at Sweetwater. And I chose 3 easy payments. $10.00 charge. But needed it right Away. 3 and done not 30 years of $20.00 payments...... 2 more to go.

John
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well right now, Guitar Center is offering 12 months no interest same as cash until the end of the month on their card. Sweetwater is offering 12 months no interest and 18 months no interest on select items and komplete 8 ultimate is one of them. With 500 down, i know that my payments would be super low. I could wait till i had the money to buy it outright, but I can never save up that much money at once because of how I am. I plan to pay it off well before the 12 months, as I know I could make the basic payments, but pay larger chunks with my music hustle money. The main leg up I have given to the GC is that it is about 10 minutes from my house, and I could make payments at the store which is a great option to have. The only reason I brought this up is because right now, I know that I have pretty much maxed out the sounds I have. This would be a great investment, with some financial risk, but it would allow me to generate more income more easily.
They offer 12 mo. no interest pretty much year round.

On occasion they'll offer 12 mo. no interest and no payments so long as it's paid in full within a year, otherwise they tack on some ungodly high interest rate on the remaining balance. The "TODAY ONLY IS THE GREATEST SALE YOU'VE EVER SEEN OR WILL EVER SEE EVER" thing is complete BS.
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Addict

Who gives a ****?! If you cant pay $500 over 12months then you need to change professions anyway! Why does it matter which you buy from? ****in buy your ****, pay it the **** off, and rock your ass off!! Have fun with your new sounds and sell the **** out of some beats!! And thats my $1000!
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

I would say to avoid Sweetwater simply because it's HSBC. They're the worst. They used to be the same bank for the Sam Ash card which I had years and years ago. After that card I'd never own one from HSBC. My regular interest back in '95, with no lateness was 26%! I was just young and stupid. I can only imagine what they're charging for interest now.

Regards,
Frank
Old 7th June 2012
member no 666

The HSBC / GE Capital / Capital One discussion is about as useless as the UPS / FedEx discussion... they're all a pack of ****heels who have large staffs of well connected lawyers that know all the credit legislation inside and out.

These companies exist to squeeze every nickel out of every transaction they do... like if you're a nano-second late in them opening your payment. They're NOT like the IRS that feels you've paid your bill according to the postmark on the envelop... these assholes only acknowledge your payment when THEY process it... not when its mailed by you or received by them... its acknowledged when the minmum wage data processor enters it into their system so you best plan on having the payment DELIVERED a minimum of 5 days before their "deadline" or you're looking at interest charges that would make a guy named "Nunzio" happy to have lent you the money.

If you're the kind of guy that has a difficult time with the whole "saving" thing [like I am]... here's something that I found that works pretty well... you open up a separate savings account from your regular accounts and make payments to that account like you would to a finance company... you don't touch it, you don't look at it, you don't even acknowledge its existence.

When you have all the money in the account you buy what you wanted to buy... and smile at yourself that you actually saved yourself the stress of having to pay the finance company in a "zero interest" scenario... or even better, that you got "x" discount by paying no interest at all. The best part is that you have contributed NOTHING - not a dime to the piece of **** philistines that run those horrible companies that only serve to keep those of us of modest means in permanent debt.

Peace
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Addict

Unfortunately, he's right.

The best rule of thumb if you want to do well in the "pro audio "world,
(It is a tough exercise in discipline, but you will thank yourself for never getting involved with any of the financial Philistines)

Never buy any piece of gear that you don't have the business to support.
Unless you are a hobbyist.
If you are thinking a piece of gear will lead you to business, it won't.
(Unless it's a crane)

These 0 interest schemes will get you in trouble.
An earlier poster made a valid point:

Wait two weeks and pay cash.
It's just not much money.

(Someone who has been stung)
Old 7th June 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
I don't personally care how you want to handle it, but this kind of statement is what scares me- because I know where I was at in my life several years ago. Something amazing happens though when you decide to save towards things- it starts to happen. It really is a change in mindset. Just food for thought; I don't borrow money for any reason anymore so that would affect anything I could say.

What is it that gives you evidence you have maxed out your sounds? If you can program a synth, you never have maxed out your sounds, and with TONS of free plugins out there, as well as many organic ways of messing with sounds, I bet you could use just a few basic sounds and come up with about 20 complete and completely different sounding tracks just from those few basic source sounds if you worked at it. It seems to me that only a few basic soudns are really going on in any chart hit these days anyway, supersaw, squeal, wobble bass, 808, whatever, but yet each song has its own flavor (I'm not a fan of much modern stuff, but have to play it a lot for gigs and I enjoy programming synths, so I try to at least dig the sounds they are getting). Again, just food for thought, I don't mean to sound argumentative.

From another perspective, the komplete that is $1000 is komplete ultimate, the "incomplete" komplete is $499, has over 100gb of samples, maybe that fills your need and you don't have a need for the other stuff in ultimate. Building your own synths in reaktor gives pretty much unlimited possibilities, and it also has kontakt, massive, etc.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

In the end, it's your life and your financial picture, so I don't mean to preach to you, even though I probably did. Whatever you do, I honestly hope it works out the way that you want and that you are able to meet your goals with your music.

EDIT: Checking out your soundclick page now, your tracks sound really good. They are produced well and have original sounds. They also sound different from each other while having enough in common to know that the same person did them. I especially like "Don't Try Us," the bell sounds are very cool and the changes are pretty nasty sounding.

Thanks for checking out my site. After thinking about it, I think I may have been pulled into the hype of Komplete Ultimate. Honestly 110 GB of sounds is more than enough to last me for a very long time. Komplete Ultimate has alot of really dope sound libraries included which I have demoed...and are cool...but probably wouldnt use. I will probably endup getting Komplete 8 and just buy it straight out.
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for checking out my site. After thinking about it, I think I may have been pulled into the hype of Komplete Ultimate. Honestly 110 GB of sounds is more than enough to last me for a very long time. Komplete Ultimate has alot of really dope sound libraries included which I have demoed...and are cool...but probably wouldnt use. I will probably endup getting Komplete 8 and just buy it straight out.
That made my day, seriously. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. And Fletcher, great words of advice. One of the scariest movies I have ever seen is called maxed out, it may still be on Netflix. Even after having done Dave Ramsey (and still doing), that movie scared the pants off me and made me realize it wasn't just Dave Ramsey with an axe to grind, just really crazy how credit card companies view people. Anyway, well done and go make some great tracks. If you ever need live bass hit me up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search