The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear that rose from the dead! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th September 2003
Lives for gear

Gear that rose from the dead!

We've had the" gear you can't live without" tread, the "gear you couldn't get rid of fast enough" thread, but what about that piece you put in the closet and forgot about, only to pull it out and be amazed?
For me (right now) it's the Lexicon super primetime. I totally forgot how cool that piece can be Mine has broken faders etc. but WOW
Old 24th October 2003
U87
People started bashing these things when all the clones started
up but, I be damned. I have yet to have a clone take its place.

D
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

Oh yes, the super prime was the bomb! unfortunately mine's gone for good now but but i didn't use mine for a couple of years then used it all over an album in place of nicer outboard fx.... it's the only album i can go back and listen to and really enjoy without picking the **** out of.
another re-discovered goody of mine is the h910.
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

<shuffling feet> Digitech TSR-24

yep that piece of crap. I am currently usinf a chorus/flange/pitch program all over the vocals of an album I am mixing.. just a touch of widening. I have had and pretty much rarely used this thing for 2 years and in the last two weeks it found its purpose.. This artist has a "unique" texture to her vioce that the TSR really compliments.
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

That's so funny. Literally last week, I pulled a Primetime out of the old/broken gear closet at the studio and started using it on a mix. I love that thing. So much more fun to use than a plug.

Ian
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

I just recently filled an empty rack space with an old EXR EX-IV Exciter that I hadn't touched in over 10-years, and was over joyed with it's sparkle. Much different than the BBE and more flexable than the Aphex. Anybody have a manual? I forgot what the A/B/C switch setting or values were.
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

Gee now it seems like "the thread that rose from the dead!"
Keep em comin!!!!!!
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

Steve, TSR-24? Thats cool! I always thought te Giga verb algorythms were kida cool. Great on anolog synths.
Old 24th October 2003
Lives for gear

Had a day off this week and attacked some dead gear with a soldering iron. I resurected an Envelope Folower stompbox - what fun. It had been M.I.A. for a few years.

I can't wait to record some bass solos!

Nothing better (or more obnoxious) than a bass solo through an envelope folower.

Old 24th October 2003
Gear Maniac

Proteus 1 midi keyboard module.......

Im doing a lot of French house style tracks at the moment....
I needed a brass section sound....

And not having a real brass section at hand,i blew the dust off this old module i had lying in the rack...

Just the brass sounds are any good though..........
Perfect for house music

Paul

Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

AKG BX-10 soo much better than that Orban thingy....

But now that I have a 224. I don't know, heaven?

You'd be amazed at the old **** I can dig out. Me too actually. Just don't tell DeAnna.
Old 25th October 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.

Nothing better (or more obnoxious) than a bass solo through an envelope folower.
Unless it's a bass solo through a ring modulator.
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

or a bottleneck slide bass solo...

Actually been getting quite a bit of use lately out of a Morley JD-10 for DI guitar stuff...
Old 25th October 2003

Not a recent return from the deceased but along time ago I got the opportunity to buy a Leslie cabinet with external preamp (all in excellent shape). I'd wanted one for a long time and this was the sweetheart deal from heaven. OK, I put it into the studio and tried to get people to use it.......couldn't get a single person to even give it a try.....tried for about three years....no luck. Maybe I should mention that this was the 1980's and everybody was using the latest synth ( prophet 5 and oberheim etc.) nobody wanted some old rotating thingy on their album. Only the latest sounds for them....ugh, i don't miss the 80's. This Leslie takes up a lot of space in a small studio so I decided to store it . It stayed for years at a friend's mom's house...covered up in the corner of a living room with a parrot living in a cage on top of it. In about 7 or 8 years the "latest synth" era passed and I brought the Leslie back to the studio and the newest generation of musicians (who had never seen something like this before) loved the sound of this old fire breather. I am sooooo glad that I didn't give up and sell it. Everytime we use it now, I get a little extra pleasure thinking about all those years it sat around with a parrot on it. Cheers, Rick
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

to sum up the last few posts.. .Play Bass through that Leslie!

really trippy.
Old 25th October 2003
Lives for gear

Pignose...
Old 25th October 2003
Gear Maniac

was it ever dead?
Old 26th October 2003
Lives for gear

In my best Monty Python voice...

It wasn't quite dead yet.
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Tech 21 origional sans amp . Closeted when I got a POD. Imagine that!
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

ensoniq dp4
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

UA 175s and 176s which I had back in the mid to late '70s.

I HATED them back then and was so relieved when we got a blue stripe 1176.

I sold the 175s (176s?) to Dan Alexander for $350.00 each in 1989.
Now people consider them golden.

I don't know.... they sure did distort easily.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

I like the ensoniq dp4 as well. Any particvular presets your diggin?
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Not a recent return from the deceased but along time ago I got the opportunity to buy a Leslie cabinet with external preamp (all in excellent shape). I'd wanted one for a long time and this was the sweetheart deal from heaven. OK, I put it into the studio and tried to get people to use it.......couldn't get a single person to even give it a try.....tried for about three years....no luck. Maybe I should mention that this was the 1980's and everybody was using the latest synth ( prophet 5 and oberheim etc.) nobody wanted some old rotating thingy on their album. Only the latest sounds for them....ugh, i don't miss the 80's. This Leslie takes up a lot of space in a small studio so I decided to store it . It stayed for years at a friend's mom's house...covered up in the corner of a living room with a parrot living in a cage on top of it. In about 7 or 8 years the "latest synth" era passed and I brought the Leslie back to the studio and the newest generation of musicians (who had never seen something like this before) loved the sound of this old fire breather. I am sooooo glad that I didn't give up and sell it. Everytime we use it now, I get a little extra pleasure thinking about all those years it sat around with a parrot on it. Cheers, Rick

i like that story
i like visualizing the parrot watching over the leslie

be well

- jack
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Old dbx 900 series rack with eq and comp/limiter cards. I forgot that they actully can sound pretty good.

Still have a couple of old 900 dessers that I still can't get to work.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Addict

Your forgot the Roland TB-303
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Klark Teknik DN 34 Analogue Time Processor.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson View Post
Gee now it seems like "the thread that rose from the dead!"
Keep em comin!!!!!!
That was back in '03.. Now here in '08, it really is!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
I like the ensoniq dp4 as well. Any particvular presets your diggin?
warm vocal chain which has comp, pitchshift, rev, delay. I usually feed this to vocalists earphones. Sometimes they like it so much I print it on a separate channel.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Digitech DSP 16.......
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Tech 21 origional sans amp . Closeted when I got a POD. Imagine that!
tech21 is as close as u get and that's not enough to write home about, IMO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search