The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gear that rose from the dead! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I don't really have enough recording gear to skip over things. I try to keep it lean in that regards, but I do have instruments that fall into this category. I took a week off from the day job over the holidays and decided to at least open all the guitar cases and restring where needed. I couldn't put down a Gretsch hollowbody that probably hadn't been out of the case in a year. I swear, two hours of trying to get that slightest of bigsby warbles is an art. The tone of the Gretsch is fun too. I haven't a clue what half the switches do, but spent hours trying them all out. The combinations are endless. I could go from rockabilly to Neil Young in a matter of a few flips and turns. Of course, I probably will never find that combination again.....

I guess I run through microphones as well in phases. I typically just throw a 57 on the snare top, but recently was trying for something a bit different. I got out my old Beyer 201 and tried the shell micing and it was amazing. I'd forgotten how good that can sound with that mic and the right drum. I think it'll be the go to for a while and let the 57 only come out when the beyer doesn't work.

later,

m
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

My studio partner's Joemeek Sc4. We were re-racking gear and this thing was gathering dust. I hooked it up and it's been my go to buss/drum compressor on the past 2 albums I've mixed. It's a Mid/Side compressor with a "width" control.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

roland d-550 - although i still haven't "taken it outta the closet" yet. . . but for some reason i just wont sell it . . .

my absolute fav was an old jcm800 4X12 cab i forgot I had. was sitting in my bro's basement. i was looking for something and I flipped out when i came across it!! i have not done a recording w/o it since!
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Hiwatt amps.... bought mine for less than a 100 bucks back in the late 80s when dealers couldn't give them away..
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

808/909 all analog synths (including their digitale remakes) Rhodes, Wurlitzer Hammond, glass harp (trough sampling) Space Echo (trough IRs) All string emulators (trough samples) Mellotron (trough VI) but I guess you meant gear ;( (Orange guitar amps)
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

& Tubes in general.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
I like the ensoniq dp4 as well. Any particvular presets your diggin?
Yeah, one of those giant reverb presets with all four banks. Piped that in through some talent's phones the other day & it was like, man that sounds good! Kinda glad I never sold that unit for dirt since I payed 1,100 bucks for it new. It's staying.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Hiwatt amps.... bought mine for less than a 100 bucks back in the late 80s when dealers couldn't give them away..

i know - i GAVE away a jcm800 head
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

And finale, about to reoccur, the Solina String ensemble: http://www.nomadfactory.com/products...ass/index.html
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Not at the high end but I had a first year DS1 Distortion Pedal from Boss. It was broke for years and I pulled it out of the closet last fall. I picked up one of the mods that are out there on the internet and got it working. It is now my favorite pedal.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

H3000 blackface.
For it's lush reverbs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search