The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there really a better mic (for around 2k) than a used U87 for vox and ac. guitar
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Is there really a better mic (for around 2k) than a used U87 for vox and ac. guitar

I'm looking at all these lovely new mics for around $2000 but it occurs to me: wouldn't it be smarter to just get a used U87? I know it depends on the source, but value-wise can this be beat?

And here is the source (singer) - I think this is an AT4050:
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

In a way, this is the same as asking "what is the best microphone for $2k?", meaning you will get infinitely varying responses. Perhaps check one of the many identical threads that are already up as a starting point.

I would suggest trying the microphones you're interested in that fit your budget and make a decision from there. Personally, I think you have some great options for $2k, including the U87.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
I would suggest trying the microphones you're interested in that fit your budget and make a decision from there. Personally, I think you have some great options for $2k, including the U87.
Right. But not all live where there is an abundance of $2000 microphones. This almost certainly involves buying one via mail order and trying out. I'm just trying to get a good starting point.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry, but your question doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Since when are Neumann mics known for their value? You are paying for the name. I'm not saying they don't make good mics, but you can get results of similar or better (totally subjective) quality for a lot less $$.

I recommend listening to some sound examples and mic shootouts if you don't have a local dealer. It is not perfect, but it can probably help you narrow down your list of contenders. Best of luck.
Old 5th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
Sorry, but your question doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Since when are Neumann mics known for their value? You are paying for the name. I'm not saying they don't make good mics, but you can get results of similar or better (totally subjective) quality for a lot less $$.

I recommend listening to some sound examples and mic shootouts if you don't have a local dealer. It is not perfect, but it can probably help you narrow down your list of contenders. Best of luck.
Agreed. I still haven't found a U87 that I liked (Admittedly the 4 or 5 I've used are all more recent models). For $2K or less there are plenty of better (in my opinion) options out there, and plenty of threads that discuss them.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Not the *best* you'll get for that money by any means, though pretty versatile. But if you're buying second hand it will hold its price so you can change your mind if you don't like it. Still reckon I could do more and better with a decent 414 *and* 451 than a lonely old U87, and for less cash too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search