The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What to do, what to do
Old 5th June 2012
What to do, what to do

I've had a project studio running for a little while in a rented space. I'm going to be moving out and doing the home studio thing at the end of the month. I probably won't record drums at home, but I want to be able to do everything else at home (or with a mobile rig) and do it well. At this point I'm thinking I should trim down my gear and have a few high-end pieces, and would like your opinions on what I should do. So first, my gear list right now:

Interface & Mic Pres:
RME Fireface 800
Focusrite Octopre mkII
Seventh Circle Audio N72, C84, A12b and T15 preamps

Outboard:
EL-8 Distressor x2
Chameleon Labs 7720 stereo compressor
dBx 166A dual compressor/limiter/gate
DIY 1176

Mics:
Sennheiser 421-II x4
AKG C414-XLS x2
Shure sm7b
Shure sm81 x3
Audix i5 x2
Audix DP5a kit
Rode nt5 matched pair
Rode nt1a x2
Samson VR88 ribbon

Guitar amps & cabs:
Mesa Triple Rec, 2-channel
Marshall DSL 100
Peavey 6505+
Peavey JSX
ADA MP1 preamp
Digidesign Eleven Rack

Mesa traditional 4x12 w/ V30s
Marshall 2x12 w/ 1 Eminence Greenback and 1 Eminence V30

Monitoring:
Mackie Big Knob
Yamaha hs80's

What I was thinking:
Sell all the mics except the sm7b, 2 sm81's, and the two leftover i5's (possibly keep a 421). Sell the DBX and the Chameleon Labs compressors, the ADA MP1, and the Octopre. There's also a bunch of other odds and ends that I could get rid of as well. With that money, buy a very nice LDC and 2 ShinyBox 46MXC ribbon mics (if the LDC doesn't eat up all the money).

I don't need to worry about treating my room cause once I move out of the space I'll have ~6 million panels of OC703 to treat my home studio. I would like to upgrade from the Mackie Big Knob to a Central Station or something comparable.

What would you do in this situation?
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago (except your gear is better than mine), and I decided to keep enough mics to be able to record drums, even if I wasn't going to do it in my home studio. I've since recorded a few projects in other locations (not studios) and was glad I could do a decent drums recording.
Old 5th June 2012
That's a very valid point. I'd probably still sell all that I intended to and pick up a Shure drum pack. I'd keep the DP5 kit but I don't think it would be as versatile or useful for other instruments. Should I keep the Octopre just so I know I've got plenty of preamps?
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Well the fireface has 4 mic preamps doesn't it, so without the octopre you'd still be able to record drums..

it just depends on if you envisage recording a whole band live or not..
Old 5th June 2012
Yeah, with the SCA rack I'd have 10 total preamps to use while tracking and have a tendency to go overboard with micing stuff up. I also deal with a lot of metal music so every little thing seems to get a mic on it. Meh, I'll probably just ditch the Octopre.

Ok, so if my estimations are correct, I should be able to fetch north of $4k for all that stuff. Do you think a high end LDC and a pair or ribbons is a wise investment? If not, what would you go for?
Old 5th June 2012
Alright, I think I've decided what to do and revamped my plans a bit. Here's the new plan:

Sell all Rodes, 1 421, 1 sm81, the Samson, the dp5a kit, the dBx, the CL 7720, and the ADA. I should be able to get around $2300 for the lot.

Buy either an RE20 or B52 to use as a kick mic as well as other instruments when required.

Buy a Peluso 2247 as my show-piece mic. (Clipalator pushed me towards this guy)

That'll give me plenty of coverage if I do drum recordings and I'll have a ton of flavors for tracking anything else that comes my way. They only thing I couldn't do at the moment is full band tracking, but snagging a couple 57's would solve that issue quickly. I'd still like to get a ribbon mic, but I'm pretty sure I can get most everything done with what I have/planning to have.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search