The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Issue with deciding on an interface/computer
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

Issue with deciding on an interface/computer

I want to start by saying the current interface/computer setup is a presonus fp10 and an older intel mac mini with garargeband. The goal is too end up with (insert appropriate interface), (appropriate pc or mac laptop), Ableton live. My issue is that I own an acer laptop that performs well enough to complete my setup but it does not support firewire which is the only platform for the fp10. I began looking an interface that would work with the acer (limiting me to usb) and the winner was the Zoom R16. After talking to several salesmen at several stores the only problem with the R16 is that the usb 2.0 connection simply isn't fast enough and will cause major latency issues. Upon discovering this I inquired about any popular interfaces using usb 3.0 but they had no suggestions other than finding a different laptop that would support the fp10. I went to the local microcenter looking at pcs and macs and I found that nearly all of the pc laptops only supported usb. All of the mac systems have firewire ports but the systems were weaker and drastically expensive. It seems that I have to make a compromise either in the laptop that I use or by using usb 2.0 which is apparently inferior to firewire. Clearly I am not very experienced with this sort of gear and need proper direction. If I'm leaving out any huge details please ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

It's the quality of the drivers which will give you more or less latency rather than usb itself. RME are one of the best in this area. I'd happily use any of their USB interfaces.

If the Acer has an expresscard slot, that also opens up the possibility of an RME Multiface.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search