The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you charge clients to use your guitars?
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Addict

Do you charge clients to use your guitars?

Or are they part of your studio rate? My studio rates are very affordable especially for the quality of gear, and the studio space itself so I'm wondering if I should charge additional for instruments or charge a "Standard Guitar Set-Up fee"
Old 4th June 2012
Part of the rate... Amps, cabs, and pedals too. If I had a studio drum kit I would probably charge for that! Too many cymbal bashers, haha!
Old 4th June 2012
You need to factor that maintainence into your rate. Otherwise it comes across as unaccomodating/hidden-fees-esque. I do however draw the line at drum stuff since it's all so expensive. I stock up on drum heads and they're available for drummers to buy (at wholesale of course).
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

I don't charge, I figure that into what I charge overall. It's just like using my mic to record vocals. However they break a string or beat up a drum head, they're paying for it. At least a nominal fee.
Old 4th June 2012
I do a daily/session rate for all instruments and Backline. I've met far too many bad musicians to offer my gear for free
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Addict

So do you just count the maintenance/set-ups as well as changing the strings as part of your business cost, or do you charge clients to have the strings replaced, guitars intonated, etc, etc.

I would think that, if it comes to be that one of the studio guitars is going to be used, $10 string charge to the client would be fair?

*edit*

I guess for what it's worth, when the project is being planned, I can ask the band if they want a guitar tech on hand for when tracking guitars and then the tech can set up whatever guitar is being used, whether the clients own, or ours studios.
Old 4th June 2012
I make them pay for "breakables". You're more than welcome to use any guitar in the room, but you're buying the pack of strings for it. They would have to for their own guitars so if they wanna use mine they can do the same.

For drums, you are welcome to use my kit, just bring your sticks and cymbals, and buy a snare skin. Make sure you let them know all this before hand. I've sent bands out to music stores to get strings when they've still forgotten to get them after I told them.
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Addict

My guitars? No, but I don't let just anyone use MY guitars either.

Studio guitars? Hidden fees and improv pricing suck. I wouldn't like it if I was the client and so we don't do it to our clients either.
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Guru

Nope, they are only charged for time. If I have to have a piano tuner in, I usually add part of that to the bill.
Old 4th June 2012
I don't charge to use my instruments, but the bands pay for fresh strings (or drum heads) for each instrument they will be using. If the instrument needs a setup for a particular band (who may need a different string gauge or tuning than the instrument is currently set up for), the band covers that cost too. I always lay out these costs up front. It's a fair deal, and cheaper for the band than renting good gear.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
I don't charge to use my instruments, but the bands pay for fresh strings (or drum heads) for each instrument they will be using. If the instrument needs a setup for a particular band (who may need a different string gauge or tuning than the instrument is currently set up for), the band covers that cost too. I always lay out these costs up front. It's a fair deal, and cheaper for the band than renting good gear.
Same here
Old 4th June 2012
Gear Addict

I don't charge for them. My stuff sounds really good and it makes my job easier. I should charge more if people want to use their own stuff.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Nope, it's all included in the room.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search