The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
M-Audio ProFire 610 vs E-mu 1616m converters & dynamic range?
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

M-Audio ProFire 610 vs E-mu 1616m converters & dynamic range?

Have had the Emu 1212m and 0404 pci cards since I first got into DAW recording almost 10 years ago. Absolutely love them...

However, I'm trying to get into Pro Tools via MP9 and I'm thinking the ProFire 610 would give me what I need in regards to ada conversion. I already own a GAP Pre73 so I would probably bypass preamps anyways.

I've heard great things about the 610. However, the EMU has 120db of dynamic range while the 610 only claims 108db on its spec chart. Isn't that kinda a big deal?

M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology
E-MU Systems - 1616M PCIe - PCIe Digital Audio System

Anything else I should be concerned about? I really liked Patchmix but I'm kinda excited to try M-Audio's virtual mixer too.

Thanks!
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

There is more to audio quality than just the dynamic range. I myself wouldn't ever bother with a M-Audio interface and even less so after using the E-MU 1616M.

You should be able to use the E-MU with Protools 9. I use the 1616M from time to time with Protools 10, but mostly for incoming projects that usually end up being transferred to Nuendo which I prefer.
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
There is more to audio quality than just the dynamic range. I myself wouldn't ever bother with a M-Audio interface and even less so after using the E-MU 1616M.

You should be able to use the E-MU with Protools 9. I use the 1616M from time to time with Protools 10, but mostly for incoming projects that usually end up being transferred to Nuendo which I prefer.
The 610 and 2626 are supposed to be comparable converter wise (including reviews here on GS), though the headroom differences concerns me and i dont see that addressed anywhere on the web >:(

I might just grab PT9....every where on the web theyre like $300...just peeked into the classifieds here and Ive spotted a few around $200.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search