The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with new AKG 240S Cans - They sound like yuk!
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Help with new AKG 240S Cans - They sound like yuk!

I just picked up a pair of AKG 240S as a reference set of cans. They will be used as referencing/mix checking with a mobile 003 Setup. I need phones that are accurate that I can trust to compliment my monitors on a mix.

For years I used the AKG 141 and more recently the Sony MDR 7509 HD. I loved the 141's but unfortunately they fried a while back. The 7509's are great as well, but they are deteriorating.

I figured I'd go back to AKG and since the 141's are discontinued, I went with the model that seemed closest - The 240s. (NOT MKII)

I've heard great things about these cans, with folks saying how accurate they are.

Upon 3 days and 15 hours of studio time, I'm not so sure. They sound really tubby, and the mids seemed ridiculously scooped. Everything I'm listening to on them sounds bass-heavy and muffled. It's crazy to say, but I'm actually thinking a pair of Beat-By-Dre Studio's I have sound tighter than these. (And I know the BBDre's are far from reference.)

When comparing to the 7509's these sound so wooly and low/low-mid heavy.

Has anybody else found this to be the case? I'm about to return them for something else, unless somebody can tell me different.

Do they possibly need an Headphone amp to drive them from the 003 to sound better? Or do they need a serious amount of "break-in"?

Help appreciated.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Wow ,that is very strange. I have a pair of the older 240DF's and they sound completely opposite of your description. They are very bass light,mid heavy and bright!

I can only assume that yours are defective or if possible maybe the cable(if it is detachable) might be connected incorrectly (also if possible) and creating some kind of wierd phase issue.

I am not sure of your model,but mine definitely need an amp, as they are 600 ohm rated.

Good luck,

fb
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Nut

My 240s matched the bass heavy, tubby description when I got them. I compared them with my Senn HD200s and tha ALFa sounded bass heavy and treble light. I assumed I needed a low impedance headphone amp, so I built one. This didn't really help, but I built the amp with tone controls, which did help. After a while, I noticed I wasn't using the tone controls... I guess that means I had 'broken them in'?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search