The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony 3348
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

Sony 3348

Hey, I'm new to the site and I was wondering if anyone could help me find some extra info on the Sony 3348 48 track digital tape machine. Basically I'm looking for Service or operation manuals, or pretty much anything that could help me get a little more informed on the machine. Thanks.
Old 6th June 2006
One with big hooves

That's a number I haven't heard in a long long time!

AFAIK Sony isn't supporting these anymore, big suprise there!

Cool machines back in the day but they're kinda past they're prime.

I know Steve Remote has (had?) a pair of 'em...or maybe it was the 3324...he might be able to help you track down manuals.

Is there anything specific you're looking to find out about 'em?
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

nah, nothing to specific. Just kind of want to learn more about the machine. I have a feeling I'm going to have to use one in the near future so just want to read up.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

You'll want the users manual then. The service manuals were pretty much useless as far as informative. But the users manuls gave you all the info as far as advance recording, DASH locking, and stuff like that.
I'll look at home, I may have the quick reference guide around, but can't promise anything
Old 7th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks, let me know if you find anything.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry, looks like I ditched it in the move, the only old 'black book' I still have around is for the 4k.
What is it you want to know about/do on the machine? Pretty much all ya have to know about it is formatting, assemble mode, advance record and master safe. looping is very simple. And check the CRC lights in the middle of your tape to see how screwey the machine is.
Old 7th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohn
nah, nothing to specific. Just kind of want to learn more about the machine. I have a feeling I'm going to have to use one in the near future so just want to read up.
There's not much to know about 'em for "basic use" aside from the editing stuff...

They're just like a regular old tape machine that spins analog reels...'cept these are digital. If you're used to running 2" 24-tracks you probably won't find it all that different and I'm sure the assistent at whatever studio you're at will be able to walk you though just about anything.

If they can't, they shouldn't be there!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

One more thing, heads out
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I once had a manual set for a SONY 3324.
I'll look for it.
The info is pretty much the same.

I jumped straight from a JH-24 to a 3324 w/o cracking the manuals.
I never did machine to machine editing.

Very easy to use decks.

I can't tell you that they sound that great (I assume 3348s were better.)
The 3324 (with apogee converters) was pretty weenie sounding.

Danny brown
Old 8th June 2006
Here for the gear

eh, I just want to get more familiar with it. I'll probably try to get a copy of the manual from the studio. Not transport controls or anything cause they're just like any other analog mutlitrack. More in depth stuff, for example if there is menu system and what's in it. Maybe alignment too, whether I can align it right in the menu (if there is one) or if I'd have to physically do it. Either way I really don't care, it'd just be nice to have the info. dbbubba, if you have the 3324 manual that would be great. Let me know. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

from what i have been told.....the converters in those machines were
pretty great......i did a live recording to tape in england recently where that
machine was used as the back up.....the engineers who were excellent and
very thorough had many options and went through the hastle of moving that
beast of a machine onto the truck, because they found something more
satisfying about that conversion than its modern day equivalent.......
check it out

be well,

- jack
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

that's the Dash, right? TLA uses them. Or at least he used to.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohn
Maybe alignment too, whether I can align it right in the menu (if there is one) or if I'd have to physically do it.
Manual alignment - done from front of the machine. there's a know to twist to throw the unit into cal mode and the meter led's on the unit will flash when you're at -20, -18, -16... whatever you want to go to. if they have a meter bridge you can use that also, but since you're at the machine I used the meters right infront o your face.
If you've used a studer 820/827 remote then the 3348 will be similiar to this as there are no menu's, just lots of buttons w/ multiple uses. You'll figure it out when you're in front of it. Can't think of anything complicated you'd want to do on the unit nowadays other than comping and you'll have to ask the assistant to go over that with you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search