The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase / Logic / FL / Live / ProTools / Sonar - And The Winner Is...
Old 1st June 2012
Here for the gear

Cubase / Logic / FL / Live / ProTools / Sonar - And The Winner Is...

DAW SOFTWARE WINNERS 2012

1. What in your opinion is the best DAW software in the world today? Explain.
2. Are you a pirate? Explain.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I don't know if there is a best for every thing I can talk about I like about one I can say something else I don't like. For me though Sonar is working out really well though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Guru

Logic Pro Studio 9 works seamlessly with my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O
giving me a very capable system that is ready for tracking in minutes.

The stripped down Logic Pro Does not have all the sound files and may be
preferable to those who do not want the 10,000 avalaible instruments and
royalty free loops to work with.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I really like Logic Pro, mostly cuz I am a Mac guy. But I work well with it too. Like most things Apple (for me) it is intuitive. Is it the best in the world? I do not care. I love the music it helps me create.

As for being a pirate. If you mean do I use cracked software, the answer is no. It is wrong on so many levels. I think less of someone else who does too.
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

There is no winner. Every DAW has its advantages and disadvantages.
Old 1st June 2012
Administrator

I remember trying out Sonar years back and didn't like it one bit.
On paper it was almost perfect I just couldn't dig it.

So I guess the best daw is the one YOU like and feel comfortable using.
Might be a bit of a sucky answer but I think its the truth.

Graham

Ps... I settled on cubase, its not perfect but i am more that happy with it.
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Maniac

1. Pro tools: I can't really say that it is any better than any other DAW out there and I don't have equal experience with the other DAW's out there to make an un-biased comparison, but for me, Pro Tools, despite its flaws, just feels like home, it makes work of any kind feel so effortless, I feel like I'm spending more time working with sound than I am with software.

2. I have pirated before, but I used it as a means of trying out software for a practical amount of time and also to use software I couldn't afford at the time. Whether you choose to believe this or not is entirely up to you, but in all truthfulness, I had a strong rule where I would only use a piece of pirate software on a project that nobody else would hear apart from me, and I would not allow anyone else to hear it, let alone release it to the world/client until I had paid my dues to the company who had invested millions in providing me with the tools I use so respectfully. I used it as a form of use now pay latter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 2nd June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiz View Post
DAW SOFTWARE WINNERS 2012

1. What in your opinion is the best DAW software in the world today? Explain.
2. Are you a pirate? Explain.
I started out in the digital world with Cakewalk Guitar Tracks. When I was ready to upgrade, everyone was telling me to go to Pro Tools.. and I took their advice.

Sadly I had nothing but trouble with Pro Tools. Latency, drop outs. And this with just two tracks recorded and two plugins on the master bus.

Tech support was good for 6 months, but then basically just resent email replies from before.

So, I bought Cakewalk Sonar, and installed it on the exact same computer.. and had no troubles at all. I had 30 tracks and numerous plugins and no latency, and no drop outs.

I am sure the problem with PT was my computer, but Sonar ran fine.

So I have to say for me, Sonar is what is best for me. I am using 8.5.3, have not gone the x1 path yet...
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

I use Logicbase Tools
Old 3rd June 2012
Here for the gear

So actually you saying no DAW wins? I doubt it

Maybe I put it to the wrong words

The correct question should has bin: "What is the most popular DAW software in the world today? Explain."
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The correct question should has bin: "What is the most popular DAW software in the world today? Explain."
Alternatively, the question could have been: "Where are the already existing GS threads comparing DAWs and DAW popularity?"

The answer: "Here are some of them:"
2011: which DAW is your primary DAW? (Poll)
updated: which DAW do you use?
Which DAW of the 5 listed is your favorite? (For Research Paper)

They all pretty much come to he same conclusion: Even if Logic only exist for Apple computers, which has.... what? max circa 10% of the OS market share, Logic is almost as popular as Cubase, which also is available for Windows and therefore address a much larger market.

This, of course, raises a question about whether Logic would have been a lot more popular if it was available for both Mac and Windows - which of course is another discussion. But given that there hasn't been a major Logic update since 2009, and that Logic in one of these polls have almost as many votes as both Cubase and Nuendo combined - on both platforms... and in all these recent polls, have more votes than all native/non-native etc versions of Pro Tools - on both platforms, I'd say that the "winner" is Logic. And Apple.

ETA: Here are some similar polls from 2006-2007, which give an indication of how DAW trends/popularity has been developing the last five years:

What's your primary DAW?
POLL: WHO USES WHAT DAW?
POLL: WHICH DAW DO YOU USE

Pro Tools was clearly the dominating DAW back then.
Old 3rd June 2012
Here for the gear

Hmm I use ableton for synth and loop mixing, but I'd still prefer using reason for its acoustic piano sounds, reason pianos. Hmm why are there nobody talking about Reason?

Sent from my Sensation Z710e using Gearslutz App
Old 3rd June 2012
Deleted User
Quote:
So actually you saying no DAW wins? I doubt it

Maybe I put it to the wrong words

Why you TROLLING is the real question to ask???
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Don't they cover this in the industry rags (magazines). Just look at Electronic Muiscian or Future Music Tech for "the answer."

But if they say anything other than Cubase, they are WRONG!
Old 3rd June 2012
Here for the gear

Haha, good one [NO ]
Old 3rd June 2012
Gear Addict

All my customers old and new, still send me ProTools sessions.
I guess PT is winning by default.
I am really getting sick of it though.....
It's kind of like Windows.
Old 3rd June 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
All my customers old and new, still send me ProTools sessions.
I guess PT is winning by default.
I am really getting sick of it though.....
It's kind of like Windows.
HO MY GOD
so true
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lws803 View Post
Hmm I use ableton for synth and loop mixing, but I'd still prefer using reason for its acoustic piano sounds, reason pianos. Hmm why are there nobody talking about Reason?

Sent from my Sensation Z710e using Gearslutz App
because most people write it off since it doesn't host vsts. I love the Reason Pianos refill. I also love Abbey Road Keyboards
Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Like others have said, different DAWs fit different workflows, some seem more efficient than others on a given platform, etc. I like Reaper for mixing lately, but use Cubase for tracking, and some mixing. Used Logic to do a session the other day, seemed pretty usable, easy to learn (if you are used to switching DAWS anyway!)

Really, they're pretty equivalent these days, everyone copies each other, so features are pretty much the same. Differences come down to included plug-ins (most of which seem pretty good nowadays, too) and softsynths.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Digital Performer
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

One more for DP. You can now close the thread.
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
One more for DP. You can now close the thread.
Agreed! DP wins most awesomeness DAW world super duper championship 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

logic

honorable hat tip to dp as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search