The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A new passive studio monitoring control - New Old Sound's McOne... ???
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Nut

A new passive studio monitoring control - New Old Sound's McOne... ???

Hi guys ! First post here, been a reader now for a good few years though

I've been looking around the past few months for a good monitor controller.
I had finally made up my mind that I was going to get the Dangerous Music Monitor ST as it seemed like the only thing that wouldn't color my sound and that wasn't cheaply made. I tried out the Presonus stuff, the Big Knob, SM Patch, you name it, all of them didn't do it for me except the Monitor ST...
I run a production studio and I'm using good converters, high end speakers and have a treated room, so a monitor control (like the Big Knob for instance) that could degrade my sound is out of the question.

What I am basically looking for is a monitor control that is very well built with multiple inputs, multiple outputs, a mono button and that wouldn't color my sound. I don't need a talk back function or anything like that. I just want CLEAR sound !

I came across the NOS McOne today, and for the first time ever I can't find anything about it on the forum!

Products

Has anyone had any experience with one of these or the company that make it? Im thinking maybe I should just get one of these instead and call it a day? What do you think?
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Do you know how much they're asking? Looks good, except if you have a main on 1 and a sub on 3, doesn't look like you can combine.
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Addict

Interesting product, Jason. I have never heard of it, before. I see one issue that would be a deal killer for our studios. It looks like one can pick only one stereo out at a time. If one is using two pairs of monitors, and wishes to insert a sub into the monitor mix, one needs a way to have signal flowing to more than one stereo output at a time. It seems this unit lacks the capability.

Best
Byll
Old 1st June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Do you know how much they're asking?
They seem to be going for 389 Euro (excl. shipping) from http://shop.audionda.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Looks good, except if you have a main on 1 and a sub on 3, doesn't look like you can combine.
Yea that is one up for the Monitor ST, but I'm not using a sub anyway so its not much of an issue for my needs.
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Addict

I didn't had the chance to try the product yet, but the guy who is behind this small company is highly regarded round here. he did services and built stuff for friends studios and they all had nothing but praises, i might be wrong but i think he is the one who actually built Waves Hardware.
any way a friend of mine is buying this and i will do a hearing test so i'll keep you updated.
B.T.W - there is another excellent control room controller by this guy he's also from Israel and i have a few of his product, some of them are amazing (his Sontec clone and 1176/Neve hybrid are pure magic) and his crm module is great.

if youre intrested, he was involved with the build and design of this one of a kind console and i think the CRM module is similar to the one in it.

Good Luck
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info and links David
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Head

Mon controller

Jason, you sound very able and informed and I am sure already well able to make the correct decision. You will certainly need to audition devices in your own studio in your own time. Be prepared to hear less difference between a Big Knob and a Crane song than you anticipated! Good luck.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Nut

Well I just got a reply from New Old Sound directly and its going to cost $252 including delivery to South Africa. I cant believe how little this costs and they swear by its passiveness and audible quality. I'm really looking forward to trying this thing out
Old 2nd June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ottewill View Post
Jason, you sound very able and informed and I am sure already well able to make the correct decision. You will certainly need to audition devices in your own studio in your own time. Be prepared to hear less difference between a Big Knob and a Crane song than you anticipated! Good luck.
Hi Matt. Little difference between a Big Knob and Crane Song - Really!? I've never tried an Avocet, heard great things but personally I just cant justify paying over $3000 for a volume knob... I wasn't very impressed with the Big Knob, granted its an active device there was quite a bit of coloring it did to the sound.
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

You might also take a look at the new Radial MC3. These guys make very nice stuff.
Old 3rd June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidperetz View Post
I didn't had the chance to try the product yet, but the guy who is behind this small company is highly regarded round here. he did services and built stuff for friends studios and they all had nothing but praises, i might be wrong but i think he is the one who actually built Waves Hardware.
any way a friend of mine is buying this and i will do a hearing test so i'll keep you updated.
B.T.W - there is another excellent control room controller by this guy he's also from Israel and i have a few of his product, some of them are amazing (his Sontec clone and 1176/Neve hybrid are pure magic) and his crm module is great.

if youre intrested, he was involved with the build and design of this one of a kind console and i think the CRM module is similar to the one in it.

Good Luck
Dear davidperetz
We don't have any relationship with I.J.Research.
The New Old Sound Ltd. is the company came from Waves Audio Hardware dept. 4 years ago.
We are producing all line of hardware for Waves Audio all this 4 years and design some new products for them, see this;
News
Small line of our own products available off-the-shelf (see our website) and quite big range of the products we are producing on-demand for studios with special needs. You may be know Eldad Berman from Zolelet.... you can refer to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonvW View Post
Hi Matt. Little difference between a Big Knob and Crane Song - Really!? I've never tried an Avocet, heard great things but personally I just cant justify paying over $3000 for a volume knob... I wasn't very impressed with the Big Knob, granted its an active device there was quite a bit of coloring it did to the sound.
Passive devices are even more likely to color the sound than a well designed active design -- marketing bull**** notwithstanding.

It's all about the impedance.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Passive devices are even more likely to color the sound than a well designed active design -- marketing bull**** notwithstanding.

It's all about the impedance.
Agree, it's all about impedance. Typical for modern IC based outputs 40 Ohm output impedance will nicely interfacing with 10K input of passive volume knob and following 10-100k input of power amp or active speakers and will not affect the frequency response of the signal passing through passive volume knob. (lets discard the switches)
Actually, this passive Volume knob is the same thing you can see in any integrated Power Amp (the Volume Knob) just outside of the Power Amp for more convenient usage (on the desk)
So, I have to say from technical point of view there is no please for comparing the units as Big Knob or Avocet and McONE, it's just different devices.
We do build an "active" monitor controller see here;
http://new-old-sound.com/products/21...itoring-system
and it's defiantly something else....
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

I was going to say/ask if you even like passive? I found I don't.. My ear tends to be happier when I monitor with active designs. I like the Dangerous a lot. I even like their DA.
Old 4th June 2012
BTW, I didn't mean to give the impression I'm totally against passive volume controls. For the money, a decent passive probably beats a mediocre active design (at least until you get down to deeper levels of attenuation but then you're probably not doing critical listening at that point, anyhow).

But, hey, I'm no EE by a long stretch, nor am I familiar with current offerings so I'm probably already overextended here.
Old 8th June 2012
Gear Nut

Well I just received my McOne... I'm VERY happy with the unit ! Build quality is top notch and the sound is absolutely perfect Completely transparent, no coloring whatsoever !

I can't recommend the McOne enough if you're looking for an excellent passive monitor control solution thats seriously affordable... AND very sexy looking too !
Old 21st June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy100 View Post
Dear davidperetz
We don't have any relationship with I.J.Research.
The New Old Sound Ltd. is the company came from Waves Audio Hardware dept. 4 years ago.
We are producing all line of hardware for Waves Audio all this 4 years and design some new products for them, see this;
News
Small line of our own products available off-the-shelf (see our website) and quite big range of the products we are producing on-demand for studios with special needs. You may be know Eldad Berman from Zolelet.... you can refer to him.
I never said you have any connection with I.J RESEARCH.
Old 5th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I pulled the trigger on an McONE a week ago & its arrived already.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but from an aesthetic perspective I can honestly say its a case of love at first sight. It feels well built & looks amazing!
Old 5th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy100
Agree, it's all about impedance. Typical for modern IC based outputs 40 Ohm output impedance will nicely interfacing with 10K input of passive volume knob and following 10-100k input of power amp or active speakers and will not affect the frequency response of the signal passing through passive volume knob. (lets discard the switches)
Actually, this passive Volume knob is the same thing you can see in any integrated Power Amp (the Volume Knob) just outside of the Power Amp for more convenient usage (on the desk)
So, I have to say from technical point of view there is no please for comparing the units as Big Knob or Avocet and McONE, it's just different devices.
We do build an "active" monitor controller see here;
http://new-old-sound.com/products/21...itoring-system
and it's defiantly something else....
Let me get this straight -- you say this thing is the same as the one in the integrated power amp, and behaves the same way.

You actually sell this stuff and you don't understand the effect of the cable capacitance (the cabling that connects your device) on the implied RC circuit
Old 5th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayji View Post
I pulled the trigger on an McONE a week ago & its arrived already.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but from an aesthetic perspective I can honestly say its a case of love at first sight. It feels well built & looks amazing!
post your review here once you test it. the McTwo aesthetic looks very tempting with the VU meter in front looks very nice like a console
Old 5th September 2012
Not to get 2 far off the subject but does anyone know anything about the FET preamp NOS has on there site? Looks interesting. Im curious as to what its comparable to and a price???
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Let me get this straight -- you say this thing is the same as the one in the integrated power amp, and behaves the same way.

You actually sell this stuff and you don't understand the effect of the cable capacitance (the cabling that connects your device) on the implied RC circuit
Hi Geoff, yes we sale this stuff and completly understand that cable do play a big role, but do some math, if you able to. 2-3 meter cable, a good one, count the complex impedance for this cable and apply out 10K passive Volume control to this equation. You will get some Frequnsy responce reduction on 300kHz or something about it. Now juge your self if it's good for you.
And, please read carefuly my post before write something.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakson View Post
Not to get 2 far off the subject but does anyone know anything about the FET preamp NOS has on there site? Looks interesting. Im curious as to what its comparable to and a price???
This preamp is completely discrete design, built on FET transistors, so from technical point of view it’s behaves very similar to tube gear device.
Sound wise you can get very wide spectrum of sonic signature, from pristine-pharmacy clear to nicely warmed sound.
I can’t say if “sounds like” any known preamp in the market. This preamp built under my own “religion”, a special about this religion is the wide bandwidth and high speed.
The MONE has flat frequency response up to 115kHz, +/- 0.2dB and very quick reaction on transients.
We find the MONE irreplaceable if the target is to record a room sound, ambience, acoustic string instruments, saxophone, overhead and snare.
In one word everywhere you have to catch transients and get them clear.
The Instrument input on front gives you grate sound on recording any type of electric guitar.

You can find on our site review about MONE (in German, sorry...) from well known magazine in Germany.
Old 17th October 2012
Gear Head

Can't think of a better monitor controller for the price

I was searching for a good, inexpensive 3-way monitor controller for some time and I just bought one of these units after reading this posts.

The built quality is very good and I love the looks, which also fit my studio very well.

I won't discuss the sound/neutrality, as I know there are plenty of experts on gearslutz who love measuring and double blind tests….
…but my nonscientific view is - i coudn't hear a difference after connecting the McOne to my FF800 + KH120.

Can't think of a better monitor controller for the price.

And Evgeny is a very helpful guy!

I know it's suspicious if a new members first post is a positiv review.
But after lurking here for many years, this was the first time I thought I could help some people a little bit.
Old 23rd October 2012
Just received mine, will plug it this evening.
For the moment what I can say it's well built and bigger than what I thought.
I confirm what Pesco said, Evgeny is very kind and helpful guy.
Old 9th November 2012
Here for the gear

Just wanted to chime and second Pesco's review... I was looking for a simple monitor controller and don't have much need for the bells and whistles afforded by some of the more mainstream options at the price point. Active/passive arguments notwithstanding, I can say that this box does exactly what it is supposed to, and looks/feels great to use. I built some custom cables to my required length and couldn't discern any sonic difference with the unit in/out of my monitoring chain.

I've attached a few photos with my Mac mouse in the frame for size reference.

Many thanks, Evgeny!
Attached Thumbnails
A new passive studio monitoring control - New Old Sound's McOne... ???-dscf1006.jpg   A new passive studio monitoring control - New Old Sound's McOne... ???-dscf1008.jpg  
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Head
The New stock of McONE Passive Monitor Controller arrived!
We are ready for immediate shipping.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Nice controler....Is stepped???
Old 27th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric View Post
Nice controler....Is stepped???
No, it is high quality Alps potentiometer, but we can modify it on demand with 24 steps rotary switch for 80 USD.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Nut

I think it looks great and have just ordered one - I will report my first impressions once it arrives...
📝 Reply