The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A new passive studio monitoring control - New Old Sound's McOne... ???
Old 11th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMITUP View Post
Hey guys, just got the Mcone stepped, plugged it in using balanced cables with the main monitor out of my 8816 as the source feeding out to Focal Twins and Avantones, the unit is transparent as advertised, but I have noticed that there is a definite gain loss in my monitoring level compared to straight out of the 8816, anyone else encountered this?
Where do you notice the gain loss? It's an attenuator, so unless the volume pot when wide open is absolutely zero ohms, it's going to reduce gain. That's what it's supposed to do, no?

What happens when the pot is wide open? (it's probably not zero ohms wide open - but I haven't measured mine. I have a stepped pot on mine.)
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah my one is stepped also, I am not a tech but it would be great if it wasn't losing almost 10db of gain on the output.
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My nonsteped version does this to.
AFAIK the reason for this is, that the McOne is not symetrical and only using one side of a incomming symetrical signal.
Old 11th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMITUP View Post
Yeah my one is stepped also, I am not a tech but it would be great if it wasn't losing almost 10db of gain on the output.
You are losing 10db when you have the volume pot wide open?
Old 12th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Switched my Focal Twins to -10db setting and problem solved :-) This a great cost effective passsive monitor controller and I have had a custom faceplate made and mounted into my console. Good work Evgeny.
Old 16th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Members have any first hand experience with this line passive controller?

"Palmer" MONICON vs McOne?

PMONICON Palmer PRO MONICON - Passive Monitor Controller
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plazma View Post
Members have any first hand experience with this line passive controller?

"Palmer" MONICON vs McOne?

PMONICON Palmer PRO MONICON - Passive Monitor Controller
I don't know the "Palmer" MONICON, but:

MONICON: 1 in / 1 out (with a second nonselectable output)
McOne: 3 ins / 3 outs

So IMO they are totaly diffrent animals.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesco View Post
MONICON: 1 in / 1 out (with a second nonselectable output)
McOne: 3 ins / 3 outs.
Yes you are right!

I want know (quality sound).
Who best?
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It seems that it's the best inexpensive one to go. I just read the page and it's said (The McONE is Unbalanced internally). Do I have to worry about it if I run everything balanced?
Old 12th August 2014 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternative4 View Post
It seems that it's the best inexpensive one to go. I just read the page and it's said (The McONE is Unbalanced internally). Do I have to worry about it if I run everything balanced?
We have sold tons of these and thus far one person had a grounding scheme that didn't work out with the unit and simply sent it back. My answer is don't worry about it but if it was an issue, you would be taken care of!

War
Old 13th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I run balanced with my McOne and have had zero issues. It is sooo clean!
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got it from Israel.

Wow...

First of all, it just sounds great. I mean it doesn't have sound!!!

Shipping is so fast and it just took a week from Israel to South Korea.

I have to get the McTwo for my main rig!!!

Thank you Evgeny!!!

Tae...
Old 16th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post
I Have mine for about a month now. Sound great, not a big difference between the McOne and my Dangerous source.
Only use my Source for its 2 Channel DAC now.

However with my McOne something is quite right with the outputs. I get a noise as if something is loading in the background/or interfering.
When I connect my monitors to the Dangerous source or just the output of my interface everything is perfect.

Anyone experienced this?

Using all balanced cables
I experience the same thing but only with more than 1 pair of speakers connected. How did you solve it?

M.
Old 21st September 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ran a test on the McONE..

Hi!
I've had the McONE for a year now and its great. When I got it I tried listening for tonal differences from inserting this unit in the monitor signal path and I could not tell the difference.
However my NS10s had a small amount of noise when the output selector was set to my other set of monitors - KRK Rokit5s (please don't lynch me if you don't like these monitors its what I could afford as a student). I guessed thats something I was doing wrong but didn't bother me. I would turn off the amp when I was using the other monitors (Hafler amp without a fan hence its in reaching distance).
Recently though my office allowed me to borrow a pair of Adam A8X monitors and I got them home and since I didn't have the cables to hook them up to my McONE, I connected it using microphone cables to my RME Babyface and it was loud.
However once I got the cables and hooked it up to the McONE I noticed there was a significant drop in levels. The KRKs and NS10s were hooked up using stereo 1/4" connector cables. Only the Adams were hooked up using XLR cables. Maybe thats something. So I decided to do some testing and this is the test I ran. Thankfully the RME Babyface has some great features.
On Logic I loaded up the Test Tone plugin and played a sine wave (lower frequencies were less painful) and then on the RME flipped the phase of one channel and set the McONE to mono mode (phase cancellation). As I turned up the volume I could faintly hear the sine wave. But at various points there would be more cancellation. Like the second from last marking had more cancellation. Phase flipped the other channel and got the same results. So i don't think it was the cables.
So I hooked up the monitors to the RME directly and did same test and it was quiet. Perfect cancellation. I guess digital summation was perfect.
Maybe there are some variables I'm not considering hence the difference but it left me thinking. If anyone knows why I'd love to know. It does not however affect my workflow. I still use the McONE and love it. My work doesn't require that kinda precision, I think.

Last edited by elisha.gs; 21st September 2015 at 09:34 PM..
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisha.gs View Post
Hi!
I've had the McONE for a year now and its great. When I got it I tried listening for tonal differences from inserting this unit in the monitor signal path and I could not tell the difference.
However my NS10s had a small amount of noise when the output selector was set to my other set of monitors - KRK Rokit5s (please don't lynch me if you don't like these monitors its what I could afford as a student). I guessed thats something I was doing wrong but didn't bother me. I would turn off the amp when I was using the other monitors (Hafler amp without a fan hence its in reaching distance).
Recently though my office allowed me to borrow a pair of Adam A8X monitors and I got them home and since I didn't have the cables to hook them up to my McONE, I connected it using microphone cables to my RME Babyface and it was loud.
However once I got the cables and hooked it up to the McONE I noticed there was a significant drop in levels. The KRKs and NS10s were hooked up using stereo 1/4" connector cables. Only the Adams were hooked up using XLR cables. Maybe thats something. So I decided to do some testing and this is the test I ran. Thankfully the RME Babyface has some great features.
On Logic I loaded up the Test Tone plugin and played a sine wave (lower frequencies were less painful) and then on the RME flipped the phase of one channel and set the McONE to mono mode (phase cancellation). As I turned up the volume I could faintly hear the sine wave. But at various points there would be more cancellation. Like the second from last marking had more cancellation. Phase flipped the other channel and got the same results. So i don't think it was the cables.
So I hooked up the monitors to the RME directly and did same test and it was quiet. Perfect cancellation. I guess digital summation was perfect.
Maybe there are some variables I'm not considering hence the difference but it left me thinking. If anyone knows why I'd love to know. It does not however affect my workflow. I still use the McONE and love it. My work doesn't require that kinda precision, I think.
Pretty typical to get some crosstalk in ganged analog channels.

You will get some drop in level unless a volume pot is straight wire when it is wide open.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Pretty typical to get some crosstalk in ganged analog channels.

You will get some drop in level unless a volume pot is straight wire when it is wide open.
Thanks a lot!

I will explore those parameters.
Old 10th April 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi I have a McOne stepped and getting a crazy crazy buzzing from it like the unit hasn't been grounded, to the point I can't even use it now. :( It's also mega quiet which makes me feel I have a faulty unit. I have to turn it up to max to have the normal level I work at.

Does anyone else have any issues like this? I'm so gutted as the build quality of this unit is second to none.
Old 31st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd love some comparative comments of:

Palmer Monicon <-> NOS McOne
McOne Active <-> Palmer Monicon L

Comments from NOS themselves would be equally useful, as I'm sure they are aware of competing products. Thanks.
Old 1st August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had mine (passive, variable pot, not stepped) for at least a year now. I ordered mine directly from the builder in Israel so I could get it customized. I had him replace the 'mute' switch with a stereo image reverse switch. I use it all the time to make sure my mix isn't getting too heavy on one side, or to see if the snare drum moves when I flip the image. I also use the mono switch a lot. There was no extra charge for the mod, but I had to wait a few weeks to get it.
Old 1st August 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I'd love some comparative comments of:

Palmer Monicon <-> NOS McOne
McOne Active <-> Palmer Monicon L

Comments from NOS themselves would be equally useful, as I'm sure they are aware of competing products. Thanks.
Perhaps my own quest for the same can be helpful to you: What monitor controller for home studio?

Towards the end of that thread, I do a review of sorts of the Monicon L.

Good luck hunting!

/Magnus
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bottom of the rack == the AUDIO SOURCE PRE ONE -at this link http://photos.imageevent.com/estrump/extra/extra/giant/FINAL%20_6.jpg

Digital switching between 6 inputs -- two separate outs .....been the heart of our monitor control for our system, for 20 years ... Wish it was partially XLR ~ balanced I/O . Very clean/ affordable controller ..

Old 18th December 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I got the McOne-B from a store a 2 weeks ago, but only could install it this weekend. The stereo image shifts to the left when I'm turning it almost all the way down and the mono/stereo switch makes a loud click when I use it. Is this normal behaviour with the mono/stereo switch?
Old 18th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecity View Post
I got the McOne-B from a store a 2 weeks ago, but only could install it this weekend. The stereo image shifts to the left when I'm turning it almost all the way down and the mono/stereo switch makes a loud click when I use it. Is this normal behaviour with the mono/stereo switch?

Stereo drift is common with non-stepped attenuators, most noticeable down at the bottom of the range. I have a stepped Alps pot in my McOne and it's matched all across the range.

Easy swap if you are inclined.
Old 20th May 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Stereo drift is common with non-stepped attenuators, most noticeable down at the bottom of the range. I have a stepped Alps pot in my McOne and it's matched all across the range.

Easy swap if you are inclined.
Hello, what is the reference of the stepped alps original used in the mcone?

I've got the unballenced unit without stepped.
πŸ“ Reply