The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mid priced compressor that would keep a "high ender" happy
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Mid priced compressor that would keep a "high ender" happy

I'm looking for a good sounding, versatile stereo/dual mono comp for about £500'ish to use on "less important" tracks. I've already got some focusrite ISA gear and Tfpro P38. I want something not too expensive but certainly not cheap behringer style rubbish!
Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

A bit more than that and you're in Drawmer 1968ME territory.
Old 6th June 2006
Try to find a working Gates Solid Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
A bit more than that and you're in Drawmer 1968ME territory.
Might get hold of one quite cheap, I did.
Regards.•:*¨¨*:•. ¸¸.•´¯`•.Mark Fairfax-Harwood, Engineer Springvale Studios
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer 241, SPL DynaMaxx, RNC (stereo only), Ashly CLX, Klark Teknik DN500, dbx 160/166, BSS 402, Aphex Compellor, Symetrix (used to make some) ...

I've used many of these, not all. A variety of sounds, nothing extreme, mostly good solid quality. Personally I love Klark Teknik equipment of all kinds, and similar Drawmer/Focusrite compressors have been very good for my needs. Ashly is a straightforward company still run by musicians, with quality products made in USA. RNC of course can fit many places. dbx and BSS with long histories of dynamics processors. Aphex has many fans, SPL very easy to use, good feel.

I agree the 1968 is great and that is what I mostly use now, but some of these others can still contribute in places, for less cost.

Steve
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

In my opinion the best little secret out there is a used TLA C1. They list for over $2000 but you can sometimes find them used for $600.
Old 6th June 2006
The three big bangs for the buck on the market are the

Buzz Audio SOC1.1
Drawmer 1968
Roll Music RMS755

All are stereo units that are under $2000...and they are REALLY pro units, not just 'good enough'. Yes, it's a bit of chunk of change to lay down for the bedroom studio owner at once, but they are 'mid priced' if you look at the per channel price. And the cool thing about these three is that there isn't a huge amount of overlap (other than the fact that they are compressors), they all do quite different things functionally and sonically. I think everyone needs at least one solid quality stereo signal path from the smallest to the largest facilities anyway.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I think everyone needs at least one solid quality stereo signal path from the smallest to the largest facilities anyway.
Agreed - that's exactly what I'm building up right now!

The Metric Halo ULN-2 takes care of excellent pre-amps and A-D-A conversion, to which I've added a Drawmer 1968ME and plan to round it all off with a decent EQ like the Great River EQ2-NV. I will then have a kick-ass stereo Firewire/analog recording chain in 3U (as rack space is also a consideration).
Old 7th June 2006
More cowbell!

might wanna add the Neve Portico comp, $1700 I think
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not sure how euro's convert to dollars, but I think the approx. budget was 500 euro and while some of those are great pieces of gear, it doesn't much answer the original question.

It is slutty though.heh
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha
I'm not sure how euro's convert to dollars, but I think the approx. budget was 500 euro and while some of those are great pieces of gear, it doesn't much answer the original question.
£500 = $940 = €725 at today's rates.

In the UK you should be looking at a price of around £750 ex VAT for the 1968, which I would suggest is not completely out of sight if you were planning to spend £500 anyway and are seeking something of real quality.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann
£500 = $940 = €725 at today's rates.

For E 725 you can buy 2 focusrite penta's who do a helluva job on keyboards, pads, toms, samples and on stereo rewire busses in your sequencer. They are mono/stereo, but not dual mono, and are very easy to set up. I also like them on high-gain guitars and sometimes on overheads. But I don't like it too much on lead vocals or acoustic guitar. The DI is also very nice for bass guitars (i know some bassists who use the penta before their amp when they play live).

$0,02
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer 241, SPL DynaMaxx, RNC (stereo only), Ashly CLX, Klark Teknik DN500, dbx 160/166, BSS 402, Aphex Compellor, Symetrix (used to make some) ...
How good is the compounder I could may afford 2 of them to use as a general comp? Mainly Live bands and music is what I do. Not much dance etc.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I was talking to a guy who's in a band from my home town.
They are working on a new CD with Producer Terry Date (Sound Garden Pantera etc...) He said he uses a $100 Beringer compressor MDX2600 I think it is

I'm not making this up. I guess Date says it has similar quailty to and SSL buss compressor.

I know I'm gonna take a beating for this but what else is new.............
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I am so much in love for my 1968ME that i would like to have children with it! 1500 euros...
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

TFPro P38 is great bang for the buck. do a search
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins
Date says it has similar quailty to and SSL buss compressor.
I think we'd all love to discover that this is correct.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Used LA-4, depending on what you're using it for. Not an all-rounder but sweet when it's right. I like it on bass and bluesy electric guitar especially. I think I paid $700.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn
How good is the compounder I could may afford 2 of them to use as a general comp? Mainly Live bands and music is what I do. Not much dance etc.
Well, that is one from the list I have not used. I do own and really like the Focusrite Mixmaster, which apparently has some similarities in features, but that is multiband optical and the Compounder is single band VCA (with the additional bass bypass circuitry, of course).

I like that general bass filtering concept in compressors, and almost always us the 1968 with its version engaged. Whether the Compounder is that effective, I could not say. It has decent reviews for a long time, probably couldn't hurt to try it.

Steve
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are working on a new CD with Producer Terry Date (Sound Garden Pantera etc...) He said he uses a $100 Beringer compressor MDX2600 I think it is

I'm not making this up. I guess Date says it has similar quailty to and SSL buss compressor.

I know I'm gonna take a beating for this but what else is new.............

Let me step outside an get a big stick...!
Old 8th June 2006

You could get a stack of DBX 160X or XT's....
Old 8th June 2006
Focusrite green.
These were Red series designs made a more affordable by using surface-mount parts and much less expensive exteriors. Fundamentally different from the newer, tube-based, significantly less expensive Platinum line. Unpopular due to cosmetics, in my opinion, and now a great value. Close your eyes and just listen. :-)

- Dan
Old 8th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
You could get a stack of DBX 160X or XT's....

That sounds about right.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips
Focusrite green.
These were Red series designs made a more affordable by using surface-mount parts and much less expensive exteriors. Fundamentally different from the newer, tube-based, significantly less expensive Platinum line. Unpopular due to cosmetics, in my opinion, and now a great value. Close your eyes and just listen. :-)

- Dan
I used to have 2 Focusrite green mic pre/EQ's. Every time I'd look at them, I'd get pissed off. "Why did they make you look like the Flintstones!!!" They sounded good though. I don't remember why I sold them...must have been because they were ugly.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Why go mid end? Your budget is about the price of a used Distressor.
Old 8th June 2006
Jam
Lives for gear

Hi

Can I second the DBX 160....... whichever model. Will work well today and will work well tomorrow. To me it's exactly what you described, in the sense it will still get used even in more illustrious company.

Do a search there's been a ton of stuff about these units.

Not exactly a sleeper, but definitely a keeper.

Jam
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
Let me step outside an get a big stick...!
seriously do think Id make something like this up just to get abused by you??? hmmmmm.

I bet youve never touched an ssl so you wouldn't even know. Then again youve probally heard 100's of poorly squashed recordings thanks to the ssl comp

How good does a ssl buss compressor sound anyway??? Not that good in my opinion.

I think ISA 130's smoke any ssl comp.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I like the API 2500

I also have this Rane DC 24 stereo compressor that sounds quite good.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

umm..

is he using it on the 2buss? I've used one on snare before and liked it, but sticking it on the 2 buss is like mixing Pink Floyd through a Mackie....

Regarding the thread, I like DBX 160's They are some of the only "cheap" comps I've ever liked. The rest of them piss me off for the most part. I'd rather use plug-ins these days.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Focusrite green.

- Dan
Hard to find..!!
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fundamentally different from the newer, tube-based, significantly less expensive Platinum line.
Nothing in the Focusrite line is tube-based, TTBOMK.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search