The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power conditioners in Oz?
Old 31st May 2012
Power conditioners in Oz?

Hello all,

I've got a lot of gear but have neglected the 'protection' side of things. I currently have a Belkin power strip or two.
What I'm looking for is a power conditioner that will smooth out any voltage issues..not just surge protection.
If I'm getting 246 at the wall, I want to see 240 coming out of this device. Something that protects from brown-outs would be nice too.
There are a lot of products offering UPS type service - any of you using these. Please, Share your experiences.

What do you use which is available locally?

Experiences, views, opinions welcome....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz App
Old 1st June 2012
Peach is the way to go IMHO.
Next in line is Furman but won't do all you're chasing.

These do not have a battery etc for full Online / UPS style power which you may want.
If you're going to go that way you need a massive power rating.
I had a chat with Joe Malone last year about it and he basically said for the average studio you need a 100 amp online system which is massive and hugely expensive.
Something about the smaller systems damping the monitors etc.
I'm no tech but after our discussion I bought a Furman and things seem fine here now.

EDIT - our power is pretty stable though
Old 1st June 2012

Yeah, to do it properly is very expensive, and I have been led to believe that to do it not properly is almost pointless, and overpriced. Also, mostly people don't need the expensive options.

The Tripplite Isobar range are good surge, spike protectors and line noise suppressors, that are better priced than some other options, and very widely used..

As far as I know, they don't regulate voltage, nor offer UPS, but they do help you get a good sinewave

matt
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I've been power conditioners are a waste of time here in Sydney as the power is pretty good.

Or get one of these guys http://www.powershield.com.au/
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Addict

Something to keep in mind. Balanced power conditioners (like the peach one) isolate your studio power from the mains circuit via a transformer.

If you are using one, be aware that the circuit breakers in your fusebox won't trip in the event of a mains short in your studio gear...
Old 1st June 2012
Thank you everyone for the great replies.

I'd actually forgotten that when I purchased my DDA DMR12 recently, I got a Peach balanced supply with it. I have the desk plugged into it... maybe I should put my digital gear on as well?
Time to do some sums in relation to the supply capacity. I don't think it's as large as those on the site. 550w maybe?
There's only one power outlet on it.

I like the idea of a Furman and Angus, you pointed me in the direction of a specific model..which is what I was hoping for. Is this the specific model you have? Is the voltage shown on the front displaying what's coming in (including fluctuations?) or what's going out-which in theory should be static right?

My concern is largely for my digital gear, especially switch-mode ones and vintage ones ...the power supply voltage really has a big effect on the longevity of the gear.

I'd had a look at Powershield in the past...I never got a good feeling about uniform supply voltage... from their web pages. I'll scope out a few of tgeir PDFs.

Does anyone here use a Powershield UPS?
If so..which model did you elect to buy and why?

Thanks again fellow-slutz. :thumbup::beer:

Old 1st June 2012
Looking at Tripp Lite...many distributors in Oz?
If you have one Matt, where did you source it from?

Many thanks

Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

hi i got a furman and a few cheap ups's in front of it,also got an apc power filter/conditioner unit out of an I.T pull-out i did a few years ago,as soon as the apc and furman went in,i stopped hearing my neighbour's drill and power tools in my audio,needless to say i think it's a good idea and worth investing a grand,the more pure the power,the more accurate your ad/da conversions will be,i believe a lot of jitter comes from power noise and fluctuations.
Old 1st June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
Looking at Tripp Lite...many distributors in Oz?
If you have one Matt, where did you source it from?

Many thanks

Got mine in NZ, from a an industrial electrical place that does UPS's for industry. I talked to to a very knowledgable electrical engineer there for ages about all the pros and cons of various options, before deciding it was a good way to go. It was pretty cheap, can't remember how much though.

here: http://www.mastecnz.co.nz/home.php?cat=785

Most that you see in studios are from audio stores, either pro audio or home audio, where these things sell for inflated prices, for what they actually are.

matt
Old 1st June 2012
Converted

Thanks so much chaps. Really great advice and links all round.
I'll put an update up when I've got it sorted.

I'll look into the Trip Lite. Their US site features two Oz distributors,
Power On Australia and NetOpt. Looks like only NetOpt actually has their stuff and even then, there's no real info (pricing etc) on their site! Both are in Qld.. no one else shows up against other states from what I can tell.

I'll pursue it further though - thank you to all.

A good evening so far - just managed to pull all the pins out of an EDAC connector with the new tool I purchased from Canford. Fantastic .. looking forward to wiring up the desk this weekend!

Also the mic shoot-out at Eastern Block is this weekend.. may see some of you there. Good night...
Old 2nd June 2012
Here for the gear

I Have a Critec Power conditioner for sale in this thread https://www.gearslutz.com/board/austr...451eb-etc.html

Not sure if it suits your need , I don't have any literature with it .

Cheers
Old 2nd June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
I like the idea of a Furman and Angus, you pointed me in the direction of a specific model..which is what I was hoping for. Is this the specific model you have? Is the voltage shown on the front displaying what's coming in (including fluctuations?) or what's going out-which in theory should be static right?
Mine is the PL-8CE
I think the voltage on the front of the model I linked you to shows voltage coming in.
I'm not sure if Furman units regulate voltage.
Our power is pretty solid and stable here thankfully.
Old 4th June 2012
Thank you Angus. Yes, on the whole we have stable power in Oz. It's car's hitting power poles and the like that are my main concern. If I lived in a place, like a mate of mine, where he gets 246-248v at the wall , then I'd not be to happy about that either.

Old 4th June 2012
Lives for gear

Something we can all be thankful here in Au... good power!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search