The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions for Analog console/Daw users
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Questions for Analog console/Daw users

Hello

I recently sold my digital console (Mackie d8b) and ended up going back to an analog console ( Cad Maxcon). I'm still getting my sea legs using an analog console again and was wondering if most of you set your levels in the daw and run your console faders at zero? I thought that this reduces the bitrate coming out of the daw, what has sonicly worked best for you? I was spoiled with total recall but love the sound of an analog console.

Thanks
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't done a huge amount of mixing on my Daking console yet, but so far I set the song to where I think everything should go on the board with basic levels and EQ. Write down the settings, and take a digital photo. Then I add automation from the DAW. I haven't had the balls to ride faders or anything yet. But if I have a raw rock band in I may do that in the near future. Sounds like fun anyway. I'm generally a control freak though, so the hybrid thing works out.

By the way, I'm mostly bouncing outboard one track at a time. I really like doing it that way. I find for example having an 1176 on the lead vox while mixing is difficult if you automate the level because the input level going to the compressor changes. I prefer to bounce, then automate. It adds an extra conversion, but to me it still sounds better. Plus I get to use my La-2a and 1176 on several sources. Maybe save the 1176 for the bass at mix time since it will generally have less automation.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes it can reduce bit depth but if you are running at 24 bit, don't worry about it! For convenience I set faders at zero, but for the sound I do what's best for the song!

It's nice to gain the mixer sometimes to drive it harder or softer but then you probably have to adjust the faders accordingly.

/Cojo
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's nice to gain the mixer sometimes to drive it harder or softer but then you probably have to adjust the faders accordingly
Good point, I've been that exact same thing
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I do my automation in the DAW (DP5) and set the board's (Midas Venice 320) faders where they are needed. I guess you'd say that I am using DP5 as a multitrack that edits real well and has level automation built in. Still, the faders end up around sero.

When I used our smaller Venice 240 (20 faders) I grouped things and subbed them out of the DAW (then DP4.) I did EQ some stuff in DP4's mixer, too. I don't mind DP's EQ, but I can do more with a good analog EQ. This especially true for things like drums. If I really need to tweak I have a pair of Sphere 920s which are inductor based 10 band graphics.

The level changes due to automation in DP5 don't bother me when it comes to compression (1176 or dBx165.) I never thought about it, but then again, I don't do huge level changes in automation. Come to think of it, they really help keep the vocal (or whatever I am compressing) closer to a constant level for the compressor to see.

Truthfully, by the time I get everything set up during mix the faders are close to being set at "zero" anyways. The "classic" way to set proper gain stageing has been to set your faders at zero and adjust the input trim to make the signal sit at the proper level on the channel. I don't set up mixes this way, but after enough years of mixing it usually ends up this way.

Danny Brown
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

You always lower the bitrate if you lower a fader ITB. The question is, is it audible? Well, it depends very much on your DA converters and how much you lower the signals. For instance, a Digi001 DA (which has 24bit on paper) will loose audible informations if you lower the signals ITB to much. I think I would make a test how low you can go ITB to keep the same result as OTB. Said that, I do my overall volumen proportion OTB but whenever automated rides are needed I use also the ITB automation.

Andreas
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

I just did this yesterday... set your level in your DAW and keep your Analog faders @ 0. This way you don't have to write all that crap down for when you recall your mix.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Good topic..thumbsup
My DAW faders sit at unity. IMO this would be the truest representation of how it was recorded.
Outboard dynamics/EQs are inserted between the DA outs and the consoles monitor in at the patch bay.
Mixing moves are done entirely on the board, using SMPTE based VCA automation.
If there are too many tracks/layers I might do some ITB pre-mixing at home on an LE system.
Our max DA channels are 48, so I need to go by that.
So,,basically, the PT HD box is acting like a tape recorder..
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Outboard dynamics/EQs are inserted between the DA outs and the consoles monitor in at the patch bay.
Good one. I've been digital for so long I'm only begining to rediscover the possibilities. I was short a few snakes to wire in all my chanel inserts to my bays and this should work just fine. thumbsup

Quote:
I just did this yesterday... set your level in your DAW and keep your Analog faders @ 0. This way you don't have to write all that crap down for when you recall your mix.
This is kind of what I was hoping for, a "poor mans" fader recall but like Cojo said it is nice to drive some sources hence some faders may have to be backed off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search