The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need UM57 PSU (info) Condenser Microphones
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

need UM57 PSU (info)

Just bought UM57 without PSU. Does it matter if I wait for original or I can buy some of the new ones? What new PSUs are good?
Attached Thumbnails
need UM57 PSU (info)-um57_07web.jpg  
Old 28th September 2003
Moderator emeritus

I bought power supplies for my UM-57 from Bill Bradley www.micshop.com but why don't you check with Gefell and see if they can can sell you a supply for the UM-57?
Old 28th September 2003
Lives for gear

sounds logical ;-)... thanks
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

I was going to say the same thing-

Bill Bradley
Blue Microphones (people who make kiwi, cactus, blueberry, ball, etc)

Nice find! I have one too.

I like the warrantieshein card!
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Actually, I'd buy that card from you if you let me.
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Steve Firlotte of Inward Connections (found from the Boutique Audio website) can make custom power supplies. He has several designs by the guy that designed the original Vac Rac gear.

I've used these supplies as well as Bill Bradley's and these definitely help the mics sound better.

--Ben
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Matucha,

try this link: http://www.powertechnik.com/produkte/tubelife-2.htm

A friend of mine bought it for his CMV and its top quality ! Highly recommended. And it's in Europe !
If you don't understand the german, I can help you in translating

power up, kosi
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

I found that tubelife before, can uderstand German a little, but enough to know what is going on ;-). I asked about PSUs because of quality impact. Does new for ex. Tubelife PSU sounds better than original one? I discovered there are two vintage PSUs used with UM57.

One is N61, but it has no switches for polar characteristic change as far as I know and it is made for CMV too, or primary.
The other is N57 (don't know the type exactly), it has the switches.

Last year I bought very old czech book about microphones&gramophones. There is a lot of info about almost everything available here in the late 60s. Including microphone repair descriptions, how to make your own ribbon for ribbon mics... funny sometimes. Back to point, there is list of microphones of that time, ranging from cheap dynamics to AKG C12, U47, U67... even old sennheiser MKHs... UM57 is there too with note it is using N61 PSU > same as CMV.

From practical view, new modern PSU will have XLR connector and one can rely on it. Funny is, there were many of them put to trash when communist studios were "modernized" or closed, becuse nobody new what is this old junk for. It is scary sometimes to see UM57 or CMV in people's setups together with behringer gear and cheap new dynamic mikes here. This was a junk, but it's a pitty, people now are getting what they have (mostly by finding their $3 mic is sold for $2000 in US).

So, are new PSUs better sounding? I don't expect I'll by from US, too complicated.

FaeFlora> sorry not for sale, but I'll post a big picture... maybe even from that book.
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

...btw I payed 20.000 czech crowns ~ $700 for this one. Looked inside and it is clean and untouched. However, I still don't know if this one is the "mediocre" or the "good one" ;-(
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Hi Matuchaa,
I PSU is not that important for the sound. Stability in power and tubeheating are here the most important features.
The UM 57 has a lil problem with noise, that can be solved, when you enhance the anode level from 120 V to 160 V. Neumann kept the value down, cause they wanted to be compatibel with the PSUs. And the most important feature: The UM 57 has sweepable characteristics. So if you use the normal 3 way switch, you can't catch the full abilty of this mic. The in between position are the sweet spots !

greetings, kosi
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

120V to 160V ... can't be good for the tube live. The Tubelife PSU works with 120V however.

And Tubelife PSU has sweepable polar characteristics control, or it has only 3 positions?

This is picture of my open UM57, I found some components to be different from picture somewhere on the web, so this is maybe why they sounds different from piece to piece.
Attached Thumbnails
need UM57 PSU (info)-um57_open_weba.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
need UM57 PSU (info)-um57_open_webb.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

the waranty paper for FaeFlora
Attached Thumbnails
need UM57 PSU (info)-um57_zaruka_web.jpg  
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

>>And Tubelife PSU has sweepable polar characteristics control, or it has only 3 positions?<<

I don't know, I have to check with my friend tomorrow, we never cared, cause we have both CMV's.
The anode level means the best operating level . There are lots of tubes with anode levels up to 400 and higher, which doesn't mean, that the tubes last longer. It has nothing to do with our regular net power ((like 110 Volt in USA and 220/230 in europe)

But your 57 locks really awesome, congrats, like fresh from the factory !

later, kosi
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks for the photos! Very cool!
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

I own a couple of cmv653's and a um57. I used to use a psu from neumann, one that I had never seen before mine came from germany. It was half the size of an n61. I found Bill Bradleys supply cleaned up the midrange and opened the sound up. I didnt have noise problems with either mic or either supply. I find te 563 to be a bit creamier and pretty sounding and the um57 to be pushed forward more, better for male rock vox.

The um57 does indeed work with the cmv supply but only gives cardiod pattern. Im happy enough with that right now.

Also, Im planning an order of the tuchel ends which both of these mics use, the female end that attaches to the mic. It takes a long time for gefell canada to get the ends and ship them to the usa, but if anyone wants in on the order, contact me off site at [email protected] I also have a bunch of nice gotham tube mic cable which I bought to make extra cables.
Frost

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search