The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metal guitar EQ - wondering...
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Metal guitar EQ - wondering...

When I use a spectrum analyzer on some great actual metal productions, I notice that the guitar EQ is very precise and cuts and boosts at "key" frequencies.

For example, my eyes saw regular cuts at 480, 600, 700, 800, 1000, 1300, 1500, 2000, 3500 Hz .. and some boosts at 250, 4000...

What EQ do you guys use on distorded guitars ? 10 bands ?
How do you work with the guitar tracks to find the right EQ (that makes room for the drums, vocals etc...) ?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I normally don't use any EQ on metal guitars. Except a little hi + locut. I really works.
I think the idea with the 10 band EQ is nonsense.

Here's a sample:
http://www.kohlekeller.de/KOHLEKELLE...keJudasKKS.mp3
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry I can't listen to the mp3 but I will very soon.

How do you manage the room for the drums and the vocals ?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear
I help a guy who is a top metal producer right now. He and his engineer's guitar sounds are sick. He does not EQ that much except for using HP and LP. The secret with the LP is to get your amps to sound bright and clean and not overdo the gain. On a Rectifier, for example this is achieved by boosting the presence pretty high. Once you LP to between 10 and 14k or so, you will get the guitars nice and focused in.

Use a tubescreamer in front of the head for a boost. This will enable less gain to be dialed in on the head.

Combine more then one head. The 5150 with a Dual Rec is a nice start for a modern tone. This particular studio has a ****load of heads. The Ueberschall is the fav right now, but these guys are slutty and that will change soon.

Anyway, point is, 10 band EQ is not really needed. get the tone how you want it by reamping and using the head's EQs when you mix. Maybe boost 2k or so if you need too, but HP and LP should be all you need if you are great at micing and dialing in tones..and more importantly are tracking a great player.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

i like the nice thick chugging sound in metal (like in breakdowns and what not), so i tend to boost low end. not TOO low. id say at like 70-140hz id boost. i might put a low shelf up insted at around 100hz. the boost in the top end at around 7k is also very nice for clarity. you will get that brutal, face shreding sound
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrokz
i like the nice thick chugging sound in metal (like in breakdowns and what not), so i tend to boost low end. not TOO low. id say at like 70-140hz id boost. i might put a low shelf up insted at around 100hz. the boost in the top end at around 7k is also very nice for clarity. you will get that brutal, face shreding sound
Try multiband comping around 200-250 also for this sound. It really brings out the chug.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Try multiband comping around 200-250 also for this sound. It really brings out the chug.
i dont know why i was saying 70-140hz and 100hz. i havent done metal in a while and after i wrote that, i went back to a session and saw i was bosting around 250-300, so good call. haha.

EDIT: i know why i was saying around 100hz. i was playing around with guitar rig a few days ago and i had a shelf set up for 100hz and it gave me a deep chug.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
I normally don't use any EQ on metal guitars. Except a little hi + locut. I really works.

Here's a sample:

Wow that sounds killer. Nice Job
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear
Guitar does sound good. You need more of it in the mix. And way less vocal. The band just sounds freaking tiny in the mix.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

the guitars sound fantastic
i prefer a little lower oomph in the kick..sound a little clacky..
maybe a little less vocal, too, cymbals towards thend in the left channel, seam real ringy, and not much depth
but, I am listening on really crappy speakers
and, I not a professional in any way, just an enthusiast, so far

but, when's the album coming out?
sounds great, and good luck
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener

Here's a sample:

I like the band!

reminds me a bit of Carcass meets Death meets Lamb Of God

who are they?

Jason
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear
Best guitar EQ: ITI MEP-230.

It doesn't 'boost' frequencies, it makes them 'sing'.

YMMV
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS
the guitars sound fantastic

maybe a little less vocal, too,

but, when's the album coming out?
sounds great, and good luck
Thank you very much! The only complaint the band had with my first mix were the vocals. They wanted to have them really loud! Could have been a little lower, but it works.

The band is called "A Traitor Like Judas". They're from Germany.
http://www.ATraitorlikeJudas.com

The album is called "Nightmare INC." and was released at the end of 2005 by Goodlife Records from Belgium. I think it's also released in the US, but I don't know who does it.

By the way the setup described by Methlab is almost exactly what I do!
EMG81, Tube Screamer, Rectifier, Rectifier Cab, SM57, API.
There were also some additional tracks done with an old POD Pro and a Peavey Classic.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

http://myspace.com/rev9

****ty myspace mp3 but here's a record i just finished which is a pretty standard Rec tone. Royer 121 and either a 609 or 57 with it, through Daking and Aurora pres.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLy_drums
When I use a spectrum analyzer on some great actual metal productions, I notice that the guitar EQ is very precise and cuts and boosts at "key" frequencies.
It's more likely that the response curve you are seeing is how the source actually sounded (or 'looked' as the case may be) before it was comitted to tape.
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

Hey I need help mixing I don't know what I'm doing. Any specific instructions!?

http://www.soundcloud.com/edwardaust...dougal-special
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

hey guys i need some help mixing i suck and cant get that pro sound. any SPECIFIC instructions would be appreciated.

Die Young (McDougal Special) by EdwardAustinn on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Use mic placement to capture what you need. Eq should be very minimal at most. Start with cutting a touch around where your vocals are going to cut. And remember to filter fizz highs around 12-14k and lows any where from 60-150. The filters do most of the shaping, the cut is only if the vocals need more room. Possibly compress the low mids. Anything else is just making your tone smaller. Mic placement is the real key. Oh and knowing what good tone actually sounds like. Most people starting out have way to much low end. Good luck
Old 21st March 2013
I like to mix around the guitar, since that is the essential bit in metal. Only a few cuts to give room for drums and bass (i like bass with tone, not just boomy low end), and everything else I fit around the wall of guitars. Occasionally ducking the guitar mids with a sidechain to the vocal.
If the guitar tone is awesome, don't kill it.
Old 21st March 2013
Here for the gear

I think It doesn't 'boost' frequencies, it makes them 'sing' mixing is very critically and needs to good quality.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search