The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beyer M201 or Shure KSM 141 for snare
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Beyer M201 or Shure KSM 141 for snare

Hi guys/gals. I hate doing comparasin threads so appologies go out for this one. I have used and like the Beyer M201 on snare and I am doing a session soon with my band and I really want to try a KSM 141 on the snare. I have heard so many good reports about it on snare duty, and after seeing/hearing the Chicago "Burn to Shine" dvd and the snare sound Bob Weston was getting from the 141 on snare during the Shellac tune was bloody excellent. I realize his skills as an engineer and the skills of the drummer had a lot to do with it.

I can not try this mic out and basically have to order it and committ to it, so my question is basically wanting to hear a few reports on how these two mics complement each other, or are they pretty similar that I don't need to shell out the cash for the KSM 141.

Thanks to any who reply.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

i'd say that the 141 will sound good, but i'm sure you can get something else to sound good too. so if you think that the 141 would be a good addition to your mic collection, go for it. if it's just to track snare, unless you are going for something REALLY specific, i think you will do fine without it.
i've been wanting to get one too actually to see what it sounds like on cabs (especially bass) kick, snare and even some vocals, i'm sure it could give me some pretty different sounds for when other mics just aren't working.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I use the KSM 137 on snare ALL the time. It is essentially the same as the 141, only it is a fixed pattern cardioid. And cheaper!
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

I use a 141 on snare all the time. Highly recommended.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

they certainly capture more body, makes for a bigger fatter snare sound, with good detail.
I use the 137 live aswell and works beautifully, easy. The only bad part is every in house sound person telling me I am weird, and that its a "hi hat" mic, doesn't belong on the snare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search