The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OH recomendation???
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Nut

OH recomendation???

would appreciate your recomendations on a pair of Drum OH mics.
In the past I have used KM84's and C451's. Prefer 84's if kit has good lively top end response, 451's if they need help.
Sometimes these mics are required on other instruments so I would like a pair of dedecated OH mics.
Been considering Audio Technica AT4041 as they reviews sound similar to KM84's

Price range for pair: $400. to $600.
Old 5th June 2006

the 4041s are decent.

I like the Earthworks SR20s for drum overheads - a lot . They are out of your price range, though.

The Studio projects C4 boxed pair is pretty good if you are primarily trying to get the cymbals and not the whole kit.

Something else that has worked good for me is using Shure SM-87C mics for overheads. They are sold as a vocal condenser, but work well for overheads too.

-tINY

Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Check out the Avenson Sto-2s. I have been digging mine. Kinda sound like earthworks to me.

Best luck,

Reed
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Pair of Gefell M-930's...
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'll trade you a pair of SR20s for a pair of KM84s!

Personally, I like the KM84 for OH and HiHats!

SR20s, SR30s, KM184s, Senn MKH40s, AKG 414ULS (or any old school, pre-Harman 414s).

Nothing wrong with the old standby: Shure SM81s, AKG 451s, 391s, 460/ck1s were OH mics for a SLEW of albums in the 80s and 90s (Blue line did not come out until around '92).

You got great advice so far (Josephson, Gefell, Avenson are all great mics) but you have to decide if you want cardioid or omni first!

There is a lot in the used market- start your searching!

Hope this helps!
Old 6th June 2006

I have a pair of SR69 (- Vintage SR20's!) that I will give you in exchange for a pair of KM84s .....

His budget is $600 total - not $1500. I think you can get new warantied SR20s for about $500 each - and they'll take the loudness of a kit.....

But the other mics mentioned are probably alright. It's hard to find a less expensive SDC that doesn't have a rising HF response.

-tINY

Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Chaser

Price range for pair: $400. to $600.
Oops, my bad. Didn't notice the price range...
I dunno what to recommend in that range... I hear the Avenson's are pretty nice or maybe some of the T.H.E. stuff.
Joshua
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Guru

You can get a pair Octava MC012 for that. I got a used pair recently with the omni, cardiod and hypercardiod in your price range.
Old 6th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmouse
Pair of Gefell M-930's...
Let me know where we can get those for that price range and I'm all over it!

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search