The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DB25>XLR Audio IN cables??
Old 5th June 2006
DB25>XLR Audio IN cables??

Where can I find the best quality, least expensive DB25 Tascam Type > XLR ---want two to hook to Lynx Aurora 16 analog I/O into RMS AES 32, about 15 foot snakes.....

also will need two 6 foot Yamaha type DB25 to AES

Ebay is being vague on giving me options here. We are tightly budget restricted.

We plan to run the audio lines to and from the machine room, and keep the converter in there close to the DAW's for the shorter digital runs. Doesn't that seem like the best choice? I am under the impresion that it will be better to let the analog lines absorb the distance, and keep the digital lines short as possible.

Thanks,

KT
Old 14th June 2006
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

You could build them and save a lot.
DB 25's are easy to crimp.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I say build. I just bought just a proco db-25 to trs snake because I just needed something quick. I checked online and realized I could make the thing for 30 bucks with canare multipair and the bottom rung neutrik ends... which is good enough for me.

And something I have always wondered, so maybe you guys can clarify for me: What is the difference exactly between different brands of dsub snakes? You specified both tascam and yamaha... and I always assumed the difference is in the pin-out, but the connectors are all the same, correct?

Or does digi- use different multipin casings? This one doesn't want to screw into the back of a 192... Don't want to force it, either. The pins fit, the set screws don't...
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

Tascam/Yamaha Dsubs

Usually, when people refer to a "Yamaha" DB25 or a "Tascam" DB25, they are referencing the pinout used inside the connector. Yamaha established a pinout that it uses with it's recording gear which is different from the Tascam standard.

Most gear utilizes the Tascam standard for their Analog DB25 connections. It is AES Digital where things start to change. Gear like RADAR, Protool and Tascam use the TASCAM standard for their AES DB25 connections, whereas Yamaha, Apogee and Mackie use the YAMAHA pinout for their AES DB25.

Tascam AES cables will NOT work with YAMAHA AES wired gear as the +, - and ground connections are all out of whack between the two formats.

AES dubbing cables can be made so that the different formats speak to each other, just make sure you flip one side of this kind of cable, as you will need the OUTS of one side to be talking to the INS of the other side and vice-versa.

To add a few more dregs to this little cup of coffee, manufacturers use different threadings on their DB25 connectors depending on country of origin. Tascam, Yamaha and Apogee use METRIC screw receptacles, where Protools, Mackie, LYNX and RADAR use American (4-40) thread screw receptacales.

Hope this wasn't too convoluted sounding. Just try making all these interconnects all day like we do here.

Chris Stubbs
Redco Audio
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Chris at Redco is the best, I call him up for all my cable needs.

Don't even try to do this yourself, this will be the best money you ever spend.
Old 16th June 2006
Im not much the solderer....will check ya out Chris, thx.

KT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search