The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just read a story in a mag about Joe Barresi - question reagarding one of his quotes
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just read a story in a mag about Joe Barresi - question reagarding one of his quotes

Whilst reading the section about drum mics that Joe Barresi uses / used on a recording for Queens of the Stoneage he says quote:

"On kick drum I always love a mic in and out. Inside I prefer the Sennheiser MD421 — I'm not a huge D112 fan. If the 421 doesn't work, the next choice would be a [Shure] Beta 52. Outside could be anything, an NS10 speaker, a 47 FET, or a Beyer 160, about three feet away. Snare drum would be an SM57 on the top and a 57 or [Sennheiser] 441 on the bottom. I may also use a [Neumann] KM86 or a [AKG] 452 taped to a 57, or a 414 at the top. Toms could be 421, or 87 if I'm looking for a little more low end.

------------

My Question is - what does he mean by saying that "Outside could be anything, an NS10 speaker, a 47 FET, or a Beyer 160, about three feet away."

an NS-10 speaker ???

how could you possibly use this as a mic for outside the kick drum?? or is he joking?

I'd love to try it though if its even feasible

Thanks from Matt
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

Using NS-10 drivers has become fashionable in the couple of years.

you just use the speaker as a massive dynamic microphone.

A couple of eager assistants have insisted on putting these things up on kick drums.

They have nothing above 2K and absolutely no attack.

I've never liked them.

Fashionable though
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yamaha actually sells an NS 10 speaker made into a mic called the SubKick. I have one... and use it... and love it.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
yeah, its just a fad that came into style the last few years. Noone ever did that **** before the hype came along.

Gustav

I don't know if thats sarcasim or not...

I think Geoff Emeric did it with the Beatles, but then again the Beatles did everything before anyone else thought of it.
Old 5th June 2006
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

I also recently read this and was wondering if anyone had experience using a 421 on kick inside with a Beyer m160 outside the kick. it's something I am interested in trying since I cannot afford a Fet 47, and love Joe Barresi's drum sounds.

More broadly, thoughts on the 421 as a kick mic? Does it need a 2nd mic as well to get enough low end for kick?
Old 4th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
I also recently read this and was wondering if anyone had experience using a 421 on kick inside with a Beyer m160 outside the kick. it's something I am interested in trying since I cannot afford a Fet 47, and love Joe Barresi's drum sounds.

More broadly, thoughts on the 421 as a kick mic? Does it need a 2nd mic as well to get enough low end for kick?
The Beyer M160 is a ribbon mic.. keep it away from that kick drum

Rail
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post

a 421 may not have enough lows on its own. if you're using it as the only mic, it may need a hefty amount of EQ.

hell...even with an outside mic, you may need to EQ both of them by a lot.

i wouldn't worry too much about the 160 on a kick. it's definitely more durable than a lot of other ribbons. common sense applies as always- don't position it right at the hole in the front head, or anywhere else that it'll catch a big on-axis wind blast. and maybe use a pop filter in front of it and/or angle it slightly off-axis.

however, in my experience with the mic, i would not think the 160 would have enough low end for an outside kick mic. there is at least a small chance that Joe meant to refer to the M88, which is a dynamic mic from Beyer.

i've had a lot of luck with this cheapo CAD 412 for outside miking. or an AKG D12 (not the 112).
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Would a 421 + NS10 subkick mic outside be a good combo for kick? Get enough low end? Or I can find a D12e. That mic always intrigued me though it's more expensive that building an ns10
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

the D12e may not have hyped low-end on its own.

but it takes EQ really, really well.

usually i don't believe it when people say certain mics "take EQ well."

but the few times i've used a D12, i've been absolutely able to twist it into whatever i wanted.

YMMV.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

The other day I used an RE20 in and, for the first time, an Oktavamod Apex205 ribbon on the outside - about 3-4 feet away and it gave the kick a STUPID amount of lows. a friend of mine heard the raw track and asked if I had added in an 808! I'd post some files but I'm moving and the drum session was the last thing I did before I had to tear down. When I get set back up I'll see about putting something up.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Apex 205s have insane low end. Try one on bass cab some time - esp. if you're recording 15" speakers.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
I don't know if thats sarcasim or not...

I think Geoff Emeric did it with the Beatles, but then again the Beatles did everything before anyone else thought of it.
He used a speaker to mic Paul's bass on Paperback Writer, but I don't think he ever used it on the kick.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
The Beyer M160 is a ribbon mic.. keep it away from that kick drum

Rail
That's just narrow-minded, self-limiting thinking and completely misinformed. With a little common sense, you can use ribbon mics all around a drum set, including outside the kick drum. And Beyer's ribbons are especially tough.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search