The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 EQs: Lachapell 503 or Purple ODD? Or Other?
Old 26th May 2012
Gear Addict

500 EQs: Lachapell 503 or Purple ODD? Or Other?

ok, so i hate to do this to everyone, not really, but anyway..

im looking for a smooth 500 series EQ, and other than everyones unconditional love for the e27 and 550a/b, ive heard the Purple ODD, Lachapell 503, as well as the Buzz Tonic are good choices for warm and smooth EQs. Has anyone out there compared these, or own these? How would you say they differ in sound? I'm using an MA5 into a Brute limiter, and would like to find an EQ to complement these. Some EQs have trannies, some dont. Gimme your take on these if you would be so kind.
Old 27th May 2012
Gear Addict

bueller?
Old 20th June 2012
500 series nutjob

Although I have not tried the Purple Odd I am familiar with some of Andrews work and Purple is great stuff!
I am familiar with the LaChapell 503 I own one and love it.
It is a broad EQ but very much clean and about as uncolored as can be for what it is. A very big thumbs up!
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
Although I have not tried the Purple Odd I am familiar with some of Andrews work and Purple is great stuff!
I am familiar with the LaChapell 503 I own one and love it.
It is a broad EQ but very much clean and about as uncolored as can be for what it is. A very big thumbs up!
awesome! thanks for the input pan
Old 20th June 2012
Jai guru deva om

I would also suggest listening to the Harrison 32EQ in 500 format, extremely smooth tone to it and a real stand out for top end boosts that remain very nice.

War
Old 24th June 2012
500 series nutjob

YEP: )~
I also love those the Great River Harrison 32EQ.
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

I can't imagine an eq that I would describe as smoother than the ODD, but that kind of thing is subjective. I have no experience with the LaChapelle. If you're in to DIY at all the analog allstars EQP-1S5 pultec clone is another super-smooth choice, or the other Purple modules, the TAV or Lilpqr. (disclaimer: I'm selling a pair of odds in the classifieds).
Old 25th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
I can't imagine an eq that I would describe as smoother than the ODD
The ODD is an excellent EQ. The Buzz Tonic is extremely smooth though.
Old 25th June 2012
Gear Addict

awesome. yeah ive read good things about the GR Harrison and the Tonic. Wish I had the time and resources to actually compare a few in person to see what would be best for my source material. Unfortunately, I'll have to commit at some point and take a plunge. the Little Devil eq also has my eye. its hard to really tell what they would do for me by listening to demos on youtube videos. seems everyone and their grandmother owns 550a/b's, so that would be an easy choice, but that's sort of my point. I dont want what everyone else has because it seems generic. on the other hand, if i dont get to try a GR 32EQ or a 550 and get something else, im always going to be wondering if i missed out on the logical tried and tested route. purchasing decisions are always more stressful for me than using gear in application.

which ones sound more vintage or classic? im looking for character and smoothness. not clean or transparent. btw i truely appreciate everyones input thus far.
Old 4th July 2012
500 series nutjob

If you are looking for character and smoothness, you can rule out a few list EQs.
The Great River has a hit ad you can dial in some magic but I think they are better served as a clean somewhat not what to now they are there EQ. and that is a well want character, no pun intended!
I would say the A-Designs is freaking packing some character!
Hard not to love the 550A they freakin work!
The Electrodyne has proven a great choice for some character as well, I love the simplicity and easy of getting a smoke sound asap.
And I love Andrews work, purple make some good freakin gear!

It would strongly suggest working with a retailer that would let you audition a couple and send back the least loved, maybe work through a few then decide.
If you have a good working relationship with a rep this is not an uncommon practice.

This is one reason I like to stay loyal to my reps!
they love me i love them: )
I don't try to shop one against another or beat em up on pricing ( at least not much ), it works for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search