The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post You Fav Mean Guitar Tone!! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Post You Fav Mean Guitar Tone!!

I had been working on a mix for a metal band and I was asking for perspective from a friend whose opinion I highly respect. While doing so we were talking about overall tones and he busted saying 'Don't even think about touching the guitars cuz you nailed them!'. I had mentioned wanting to do certain things to them and it was almost like he was offended by me having even thought I needed to do anything else with them. So anyway, we got around to talking about GS(of course) and he thought it would be cool to start a thread where people could post samples of some of their favorite mean guitar tones they've captured recently...

So anyway, here's mine and how I got it....

Fender Tele(insanely Frankenstein'd and actually had a John Deere sticker on it!!) >> Mesa DC-10 (on 100w with gain obviously pretty high) >> Avatar 2x12 Modern cab (orange cab clone) >> AEA R92 >> Burl B1 (gain all the way up, pad in) >> RJR Buss compressor (SSL clone, but with Lundahl transformers switchable on output) >> Lynx Aurora >> Cubase V

So essentially, the only thing the artist brought in was his guitar which he claims he bought at a pawn shop.

Let's hear your favorite recent capture of a mean tone!!
Attached Files

Mean Tone GS.wav (8.46 MB, 916 views)

Old 26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear
a couple..

Old 26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012

Guitar starts at 1:20
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
a couple..

Very nice, what'd you use for the first one?? Nice, thick and creamy tone! Congrats!!
Old 26th May 2012
Gear maniac

Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Very nice, what'd you use for the first one?? Nice, thick and creamy tone! Congrats!!
Thanks
First one was a Les Paul Baritone into Peavey 6505+, V30's loaded Marshall 1960a cab. Mic'd with 2 SM57 in nordstrom.
Quad tracked, 1st pair high gain, 2nd pair crunch
Front end was Api 512 and SH Gama, no eq or other processing during tracking.
Aside from the chain described, few things were essential to get that tone:
the guitar had 0.70/0.22 gauge strings, the 6505+ master volume was on 8.5
and the last one, the bass sound, a modded BcRich Warlock, again baritone,
into Api 512 split into a Sansamp PSA 1.1 (hw)

Here's another one from the same album with also a clean setting, as you can hear the guitar itself has that creamy tone
Altho' the whole clean part was doubled with an regular acoustic guitar, downtuned in drop C, the "body" comes from the LP

Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had been working on a mix for a metal band and I was asking for perspective from a friend whose opinion I highly respect. While doing so we were talking about overall tones and he busted saying 'Don't even think about touching the guitars cuz you nailed them!'. I had mentioned wanting to do certain things to them and it was almost like he was offended by me having even thought I needed to do anything else with them. So anyway, we got around to talking about GS(of course) and he thought it would be cool to start a thread where people could post samples of some of their favorite mean guitar tones they've captured recently...

So anyway, here's mine and how I got it....

Fender Tele(insanely Frankenstein'd and actually had a John Deere sticker on it!!) >> Mesa DC-10 (on 100w with gain obviously pretty high) >> Avatar 2x12 Modern cab (orange cab clone) >> AEA R92 >> Burl B1 (gain all the way up, pad in) >> RJR Buss compressor (SSL clone, but with Lundahl transformers switchable on output) >> Lynx Aurora >> Cubase V

So essentially, the only thing the artist brought in was his guitar which he claims he bought at a pawn shop.

Let's hear your favorite recent capture of a mean tone!!
Those guitars sound wickedly good! Nice and meaty with some serious balls. Great tracking. Hope the drums are just a placeholder... Those hi hats are ugly.
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Those guitars sound wickedly good! Nice and meaty with some serious balls. Great tracking. Hope the drums are just a placeholder... Those hi hats are ugly.
Haha!! How funny you should mention that. I own a pair of 14" mastersounds that would have been amazing! You wouldn't believe me if I told you the guy wanted to stick with his Sabian B8 Pro's for this recording over my mastersounds

Thanks for the compliment on the guitars btw...
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha!! How funny you should mention that. I own a pair of 14" mastersounds that would have been amazing! You wouldn't believe me if I told you the guy wanted to stick with his Sabian B8 Pro's for this recording over my mastersounds
Yeah. Sorry bro about the drum dig. Not usually my style to hit on other peoples drum sounds, but those just killed it. Bit too quantized for my taste as well. I am surprised those are even real cymbals/drums. The guitars (which this thread is really about) sound really sweet though. Nice work indeed.
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

I don't understand why people keep posting samples of guitars they didn't track themselves? That's kinda the point if you read my bit...
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. Sorry bro about the drum dig. Not usually my style to hit on other peoples drum sounds, but those just killed it. Bit too quantized for my taste as well. I am surprised those are even real cymbals/drums. The guitars (which this thread is really about) sound really sweet though. Nice work indeed.
I'll have to tell the drummer you thought so...because I didn't do one bit of quantizing to them...
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll have to tell the drummer you thought so...because I didn't do one bit of quantizing to them...
Wow. He is an absolute machine! Give him cred there. Those kicks sound absolutely positively evenly spaced. Machine-like. I'm shocked. For sure. Tell him he has a special skill no doubt.
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. He is an absolute machine! Give him cred there. Those kicks sound absolutely positively evenly spaced. Machine-like. I'm shocked. For sure. Tell him he has a special skill no doubt.
I will...def doesn't have an ear for hats though...I tried to make him keep mine...lol
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

something different………...
Old 26th May 2012
Gear Guru

Well, maybe not my all time favorite, but the tone I'm working
on at the moment.

Still working on the transition between Bell Clean and Godzilla,
but I'm loving the new Fane Medusa 150-C + AXA12 blend.

Here with the AXA12 & and EVM12L

Old 26th May 2012
Gear Guru

The first clip above is my '85 Les Paul Studio Standard

The 2nd is the Strat Plus, Golds, and it can get way meaner.

OD Master is only at about 11:00 in both clips.

You can see the clean and OD settings here.

As you can see, I've got all kinds of mean available
with most of the controls at or below 12:00.

It's a common mistake to add too much gain, rather than just pushing volume
and making the speakers sing like they should.
Old 26th May 2012
I can't get enough of the guitar tone on Architect's new album:

So much midrange. I asked the guitarist and it's just an ibanez tubescreamer and a Blackstar Series One 100!
Old 26th May 2012
Gear Guru

This is just plain GREAT Tone!

Old 26th May 2012
Gear Addict

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0tUdUVmnWNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

having the voice, attitude and licks help.. but i remember hearing that solo and wanting to play guitar because i thought it sounded so rough/
Old 26th May 2012
Gear Guru

Julian, would it be too difficult to put up an isolated guitar track?

Sounds nice and gritty in the mix, just wanted to see how much the bass is
affecting what we're hearing. Nice Work!
Old 26th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Julian, would it be too difficult to put up an isolated guitar track?

Sounds nice and gritty in the mix, just wanted to see how much the bass is
affecting what we're hearing. Nice Work!
Good idea. Yeah, that bass is definitely supplementing and carrying the low end. But... that is what it is supposed to do. The blend is very nice between the bass and guitars.
Old 26th May 2012
Here are a few...

Old 27th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
This is just plain GREAT Tone!

is that Paul Kossoff?

sounds great, this sounds much better than the Gov't Mule version
Old 27th May 2012
Gear Nut

I like this!
Old 27th May 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
I like this!
This ain't FaceBook.
Old 27th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headstack View Post
is that Paul Kossoff?

sounds great, this sounds much better than the Gov't Mule version
No clue who the player is, he posted his clip a while back when
I was doing the requested guitar clips on my Reeves Custom 225 which
is a refined DR-201 Circuit.

Old 28th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
No clue who the player is, he posted his clip a while
it's a 'Free' song called Mr. Big he's playing that's all I was commenting on
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search