The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bypassing Speakers in Combo amps?
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Nut

Bypassing Speakers in Combo amps?

I was thinking, is it practical to isolated the amplification stages with a combo amp and send them to alternative speakers?

I was thinking that I'd like to route the output of my Bluesbreaker combo to an isolation cab, as this fella is simply to fierce for me delicate lug holes, lol.

However, Im apprehesive to start messing for fear of blowing things up!

What do you reckon? Anyone doing anything like this?

Cheers,

TB
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

I actually bought a speaker selector switch from Radio Shack years ago that handles power, and wired it directly from the combo to the switch. Then from there I wired it back to the combo, and I had another cable that went to a 4x12. I could select either the combo speaker, 4x12 or both.....very handy.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Crate (ugh, I know, but listen..) made this line of amps a number of years back called the Vintage Club. I had a 20 watt combo from the line and used it as a head through a 4x12" with Celestion G12H30's. I called it my JCM 20. Hehe. Tone was in the vein of a JCM 800, but was a tad on the thin side, which is why I bit the bullet and actually bought an 800. But for 200 bucks on eBay - totally worth it. Great tone out of that thing.

So yes, that's the long-winded way of saying bypassing a combo's speaker totally works. Just make sure you're matching proper impedence.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search