The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Red Hot Chili Peppers Accused Of Plagiarism
Old 8th June 2006
  #151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
You may not be into what they're doing. That's fine. But "they suck" really should be reserved for people who can't play and can't write, and that ain't them.

I can't think of a single good musician who would say that a band like this actually sucks, rather than just saying, "I'm not really into them." That's just not how people with real talent talk.

JSL
Old 8th June 2006
  #152
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Originally Posted by wreck
I dont know man, I think John Frusciante is pretty decent.. He just has his own style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio
He is good at what he does and I think it works perfectly. From a technical standpoint he is pretty poor though IMO.
And that is part of the charm of rock music.

Many great rock drummers don't play well from a technical standpoint, but once you try to replace them with a technically perfect drum machine...or if you dare beat doctor John Bonham

I'll let the technical aspects of music playing get beat to death by the classical crowd.
Old 8th June 2006
  #153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
'Ya know...

AC/DC & ZZ Top have been ripping themselves off for YEARS and you never hear anyone bitch about them...
I hear Malcolm Young once say something to the effect of "we have been playing the same damn song for 30 years, it's a good song.... but it is the same song".



He is right, it is a pretty damn good song they have been playing, same with ZZ Top.
Old 8th June 2006
  #154
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye
for the most part, rock bands are like a bunch of kids playing in a sand box.
Are you sure you're not a music critic time transported from 1964 writing about that new damn Beatles rock band??
Old 8th June 2006
  #155
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
No offense, but it's "you're (contraction of "you are") and not "your".
Far be it from me to correct someone's spelling on a board like this (I find it a bit pretentious) but if your going to be a dick - get it right.
Old 8th June 2006
  #156
Lives for gear
 
s0nguy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
No offense, but it's "you're (contraction of "you are") and not "your".

LOL..... no... he used it correctly. Geez.... have we really stooped to this level? Lets move on.



-s0nguy
Old 8th June 2006
  #157
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I hear Malcolm Young once say something to the effect of "we have been playing the same damn song for 30 years, it's a good song.... but it is the same song". He is right, it is a pretty damn good song they have been playing, same with ZZ Top.

..and the stones.
Old 8th June 2006
  #158
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Far be it from me to correct someone's spelling on a board like this (I find it a bit pretentious) but if your going to be a dick - get it right.
LOL... Pardon me, but look at the first sentence in your quote. The one that begins "Now if your half the intellect...." I'm sorry, but it's supposed to be... Aw...forget it... Haha...


No, wait... I understand that people will make spelling errors, but confusing "your" and "you're" bugs me....

Its thuh litle nuanses thet helps uss understan won anuther beter. Thuh devels in thuh detales.... peas
Old 8th June 2006
  #159
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nguy
LOL..... no... he used it correctly. Geez.... have we really stooped to this level? Lets move on.



-s0nguy

OK... I'll move on. But your wrong... HAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 8th June 2006
  #160
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

OK... I feel bad, now. Sorry, it's been a long year of teaching lazy students who think that music is a walk in the park. And then I get grief because they do so badly on their exams. "You set too high a standard, man."

I apologize kats. It's the "fedupedness" speaking.
Old 8th June 2006
  #161
Lives for gear
 
lordnielson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
OK... I feel bad, now. Sorry, it's been a long year of teaching lazy students who think that music is a walk in the park. And then I get grief because they do so badly on their exams. "You set too high a standard, man."

I apologize kats. It's the "fedupedness" speaking.


Hans Christian Andersen was dyslexic. Has nothing to do with mental laziness.

I'm pathetic at math but will pick up a new language in an afternoon.....

Roughly speaking .
Old 8th June 2006
  #162
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson
Hans Christian Andersen was dyslexic. Has nothing to do with mental laziness.

I'm pathetic at math but will pick up a new language in an afternoon.....

Roughly speaking .
Yeah, I know. So was General Patton, John F. Kennedy, Edison, Einstein and Cher. Lots more... Ergo the apology. Not to say kats has dyslexia....

So! How 'bout them Chile Peppers! I, for one, prefer jalapenos...
Old 8th June 2006
  #163
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
Then don't pick up the new Bass Player magazine...Flea's on the cover once again

So what?
Madonna is all over the place.
So is Brittany Spears.

They both suck, in this case literally.
Old 8th June 2006
  #164
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin
You may not be into what they're doing. That's fine. But "they suck" really should be reserved for people who can't play and can't write, and that ain't them.

I can't think of a single good musician who would say that a band like this actually sucks, rather than just saying, "I'm not really into them." That's just not how people with real talent talk.

JSL
Well I suppose you are right.
They can certainly play well, but their music is boring.
Talking about the Peppers is kind of like "The Kings New Clothes". IOW nobody really wants to admit what they really think about the band because it is kind of like herasey,

Elvis Costello is another one that fits into that mold.
I find him boring..

Sure he's done a lot of different things, but how many of them are actually worth listening to?

Counting Crows and Nirvana are another two...
Innovative?
Yes...
Responsible for starting a craze (grunge/Nirvana) yes...
A part of history?
Yes....

But.....

Do YOU want to listen to 12 tracks in a row by either one of them?
I don't.
The songs all sound the same.


I dunno, maybe it's a guitar thing (I'm a keyboard player) but I find the music extremely boring, which prompts me to filter out whatever lyrics might be grunted.
Old 8th June 2006
  #165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
So was General Patton, John F. Kennedy, Edison, Einstein and Cher. Lot's more...
I wonder how many musicians are dyslexic? Does the dyslexic brain have the same trouble reading music as it does columnar mathmatical formulas?

What about dysgraphia - would you flip a note backwards? Interesting...

2 of my 3 daughters are dyslexic, each of my cousins who have kids have at keast one dyslexic child... dyslexia doesn't run in my family, it gallops!!

Don't know where it's all coming from. My girls have learned to compensate. One of them is a dancer, they start their count at 5. Doesn't seem to be a problem except in math, yet she's a straight A student. Very strange.

So of course I got the bumper sticker that reads "Dyslexics of the world, Untie!"

-lig
Old 8th June 2006
  #166
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
LOL... Pardon me, but look at the first sentence in your quote. The one that begins "Now if your half the intellect...." I'm sorry, but it's supposed to be... Aw...forget it... Haha...


No, wait... I understand that people will make spelling errors, but confusing "your" and "you're" bugs me....

Its thuh litle nuanses thet helps uss understan won anuther beter. Thuh devels in thuh detales.... peas
Muthafugga you got me on that one HAHAHAHA but wait.... here's what you originally were being a smartass about:

Quote:
Now go ahead and hit your spellcheck button and let me have it

Are you saying I'm supposed to say "go ahead and hit you are spell check button"

So um, who's right? heh

Don't let your lazy ass students read this thread, they might find out your human. And that's my point. The poster I was responding to (before you spell checked me) was replying to me like I was a child, I didn't appreciate it.

Anyhow we're even -....................but I was right first
Old 8th June 2006
  #167
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

No....my original comment was about the one I quoted. Look at my first post 18 or so back.... Nah nah nah NAH boo boo!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! And for the record, I AM human. I am ALWAYS going in to edit my own spelling/grammatical errors.

I hate teaching..... today. But fukk me if I'm not one of the most engaged and dedicated college profs out there. But hey, IT'S FESTIVAL SEASON!!!! Hitting the road, soon. And if my stupid java worked, there would be a ****eload of bouncy green thingies on this post.
Old 9th June 2006
  #168
Lives for gear
 

You may be a good speller, but your<-----oops a bad bull****ter


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Now if your half the intellect you are trying to posture yourself as, you would know that ad hominem attacks are considered a concession of defeat in the realm of debate and discussion.

Now go ahead and hit your spellcheck button and let me have it! I'm shaking in my boots in awe of your greatness


ArcCirDude:
No offense, but it's "you're (contraction of "you are") and not "your".
Old 9th June 2006
  #169
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

And one more thing.....

I've gone slightly off topic before, but this one is a doozy!! Hmmm.... Maybe I can even kill it if I try a little harder....

I like Flea's little break on Ms. Morrisette's "I want you to know"....
Old 9th June 2006
  #170
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
You may be a good speller, but your<-----oops a bad bull****ter

Haha!! Oh, by the way, when you begin a sentence with an adverbial clause as you did in our disputed quote, use a comma. "Now, if your half the intellect...." not, "Now if your half the intellect...."

Still off topic but kind of on....Weren't the Sgt. Chile Peppers junkies???
Old 9th June 2006
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
I listened to both songs. I haven't worked out the parts on guitar; however, besides the verse groove and an Indiana reference or two I don't see what the fuss is. What the Chili Pepper's did was write a rather generic rock and roll song, not rip off Petty
Old 9th June 2006
  #172
Gear Maniac
 
billwarner's Avatar
 

Hey, here in Nashvegas I'm almost reluctant to pitch a new song from our publishing catalog that contains a unique idea or twist. I've had to sit back and watch meghit writers come out with remarkably similar material including unusual lines in the same parts of a song with a title similar to ours. I know many "insiders" were exposed to our songs as they were "on hold" for major artists. It could be coincidence, but then again maybe it's not. You can copyright 8 notes of a melody and also the "expression" of an idea, but not the idea itself. I've heard of publishers that throw a CD in front of some staff writers and ask them to "write me something like this". It's a little disheartening when you try to play nice...


bill

www.warnerworks.net
Old 9th June 2006
  #173
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten
So what?
Madonna is all over the place.
So is Brittany Spears.

They both suck, in this case literally.
Great comparison
Old 9th June 2006
  #174
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten
Talking about the Peppers is kind of like "The Kings New Clothes". IOW nobody really wants to admit what they really think about the band because it is kind of like herasey
I don't think there is any band that is at the level where someone might feel you can't say anything bad about them, with the possible exception of the Beatles.

I can think of at least six criticisms of the Peppers, and like you, I'm a keyboard player. The most glaring one has already been mentioned a few times in this thread -- they've kind of been recycling material for ten years.

Quote:
Innovative?
Is innovative a requirement of good music, or music that doesn't suck?

Quote:
Do YOU want to listen to 12 tracks in a row by either one of them?
I definitely feel you on that -- by the time "Hanginaround" finally ends, I feel like I have listened to 12 tracks in a row. But other times I dig it.

Regardless, I don't think any of those bands suck. It's a matter of taste. Or maybe just a matter of etiquette and respect.

I feel confident that had you produced the last Elvis Costello record, you would have listened to all of it 10,000 times, fallen in and out of love 200 times, but at all times convinced that it did not suck.

How do you think an artist even gets to the point where he's making his 20th record, or 5th, and trying to figure out how to do something fresh? As a rule, he doesn't get there by sucking.

Quote:
The songs all sound the same.
But that's just what everyone thinks whenever they're not into a particular style. For the thousands or millions or are into it, they're revelling in whatever mode or subgenre the artist is hitting on.

I've heard people say that about dozens of artists and entire genres -- blues and dance and country in particular. In every case, I find as a musician that if "it all sounds the same," I just haven't gone deep enough yet.

JSL
Old 9th June 2006
  #175
Gear Maniac
 
Chunky Karma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude
And one more thing.....

I've gone slightly off topic before, but this one is a doozy!! Hmmm.... Maybe I can even kill it if I try a little harder....

I like Flea's little break on Ms. Morrisette's "I want you to know"....
Your sig. says you are from Norway. Is english "you're" first language?
Old 9th June 2006
  #176
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
That is such a common progression and groove. There are only 12 notes in the western scale and only 7 in a diatonic scale and only 5 in a pentatonic scale. You run out of possibilities pretty soon. It's not too far away from Sweet Home Alabama. A very common groove. I don't think so.

DJs with not a lot to do trying to find a way to market themselves.
Old 9th June 2006
  #177
Lives for gear
 
Knastratt's Avatar
 

Californication is still a good, perhaps GREAT album*. I'm NOT a RHCP endorserer - but their minimalism kinda attracts me. I have never heard them live - but...

Be well - Pär

*So is BSSM.
Old 9th June 2006
  #178
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
That ACTUALLY happened to John Fogerty at one point.

His label sued him for sounding too much like himself!

Out there like Pluto...the label lost the case...not too suprising.

Besides...this isn't a real lawsuit or anything is it?

I thought it was just some idjit DJ in Delaware (fukkin Delaware of ALL places...figures!) with too much time on his hands...

But he's from Delaware...what else would you expect?!?

Someone show me where I can copywrite an A minor, G, D progression and I'll show 'ya thousands of blues guys that should've been sued a LONG LONG time ago...

Doesn't anyone have anything better to do, like write some music?
Hey! Some of us in Delaware are spending our time writing/recording/performing music. I actually never even heard of this station, it must be downstate.
Old 9th June 2006
  #179
Lives for gear
 
ArcCirDude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma
Your sig. says you are from Norway. Is english "you're" first language?

Yes. I was born in Del Rio, Texas, raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Ludington, Michigan and New Orleans, Louisiana. I'm now living and breeding in Nesna, Norway.

I've already apologized to kats for any affront. So, what's "you're" point? heh
Old 9th June 2006
  #180
Lives for gear
 
darkwater's Avatar
 

Kids, this is rock music. Everything has been done before. Get over it.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump