The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Red Hot Chili Peppers Accused Of Plagiarism
Old 6th June 2006
jbo
Gear Head

i remember a stain'd song awhile back that was an almost note for note rip off of the opening theme of zelda II
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit
another "source" might be the hendrix tune "hey baby"

anyone familiar with that?

Omigod! I have not heard of or thought of that tune since 1976, when Johnny Hill taught me how to play the intro on guitar. I could probably still play it, but I still don't think I've ever heard Jimi's version.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

From the "new chili peppers" thread about two months back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
One verse in and I'm humming to myself "oh my my, oh hell yes, honey put on that party dress" but maybe it's just me.
Ryan Hewitt's and Chad Smith's response on that same thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess
i thought that too when he started singing it....i told rick, and he went'oh yeah your right"
CS

(yes that was Chad Smith writing.... mixing a record that he's producing and shared this thread with him....) Ryan
Ryan's quote from this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaccess
No one in the band thought about Tom Petty when writing, recording, or mixing the song. Rick Rubin produced both albums and didn't notice. No one noticed in fact until someone reviewing the record mentioned something about the 2 songs sounding somewhat similar. No one in the band listens to Tom Petty, so there is certainly nothing intentional here.
It sounds like Chad said he heard the similarity as soon as Anthony started singing it. I assume that was at some point during the writing, mixing or recording of the song.

I doubt it was anything intentional, and I'm not sure it is plagiarism (though you don't have to have the same chorus in order to plagiarize a verse). But the above quotes don't seem to jell.

-Jp
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Omigod! I have not heard of or thought of that tune since 1976, when Johnny Hill taught me how to play the intro on guitar. I could probably still play it, but I still don't think I've ever heard Jimi's version.
he played it a lot in 1970 live. it's also kicking around on some of those random track collections.

there's a pretty convoluted intro and then the verse is:

Amin Gmaj Fmaj Dmaj. chorus A-C#m-D

first verse: "hey sister baby...where are you comin from?..."

chorus: "hey now come along with me baby yeah (fill)"

etc etc

and then a really nice solo.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

you should listen to Father and Son by Cat Stevens and Fight Test by The Flaming Lips back to back. Now THAT is really something.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Any news on that new Toft?

yes....i know where im posting.

I hate when this forum gets, in my opinion, overly opinionated about music and not the tools used to record it.

Ok...hate's a strong word.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, that was during mixing when it came up, sorry for the confusion... My point was that it was purely unintentional.

Ryan Hewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peacock
From the "new chili peppers" thread about two months back:

Ryan Hewitt's and Chad Smith's response on that same thread:

Ryan's quote from this thread:

It sounds like Chad said he heard the similarity as soon as Anthony started singing it. I assume that was at some point during the writing, mixing or recording of the song.

I doubt it was anything intentional, and I'm not sure it is plagiarism (though you don't have to have the same chorus in order to plagiarize a verse). But the above quotes don't seem to jell.

-Jp
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

The verse melody bears a striking resemblance to the chorus in Aerosmith's "Dream on"
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, and possibly "summer in the city" but I can't fully remember the melody.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

maybe all pop/rock tunes are actually ONE song.

i wonder which was the first one that everyone else copied?

joke.

sorta.
Old 7th June 2006
there was a Science Fiction novel awhile back that posited that there were only 12 songs in the universe, and all music was a variant of those 12 tunes. The main character's job was to police the publushing, like a Super ASCAP agent.

Looking at music as we know it, that might not be far from the truth.

-g
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit

joke.

sorta.

"I got some shackles in the back. I'm just kidding. But seriously, I got 'em" heh
Old 7th June 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
there was a Science Fiction novel awhile back that posited that there were only 12 songs in the universe, and all music was a variant of those 12 tunes. The main character's job was to police the publushing, like a Super ASCAP agent.

Looking at music as we know it, that might not be far from the truth.

-g

Wasn't that chapter 27 from the Hitchhikers Guide?
Old 7th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs

Why yes I believe you might be right..... (what a great great "trilogy")
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Wasn't that plagiarised? I could've sworn I've seen the same exact letters used to spell almost identical words in another author's book...hmmmm.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

Perosnally I think they suck so it's kinda irrelevent........
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten
Then don't pick up the new Bass Player magazine...Flea's on the cover once again
Old 8th June 2006
First if ya don't like the TV show, don't watch. If ya don't like the talk show host turn the station. If ya don't like the band... don't listen to them.

It is a real bummer that negative people have to cut on other people's art. I am a musician, I know how it feels when people talk down about something I am proud of, it's rude and disrespectful. People complain about the Britney Spears of the world and the same people complain when a rock band who plays their own instruments and write their own songs puts out an album of their work.

Show some respect for someone elses art, if ya don't like it move along without comment (or alternatively post some of your music and see what it is like when negative people rip it apart). Don't hate and if you are going to hate at least have the decency to keep it to yourself.

Second, I just listened to the two back to back... WTF. The chord progression is there but the vocal melodies have nothing to do with each other. This is such crap. Listen to the song and the CD if you like the band and the CD, don't listen to the band and the CD if you don't like it. Life is simple.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
First if ya don't like the TV show, don't watch. If ya don't like the talk show host turn the station. If ya don't like the band... don't listen to them.

It is a real bummer that negative people have to cut on other people's art. I am a musician, I know how it feels when people talk down about something I am proud of, it's rude and disrespectful. People complain about the Britney Spears of the world and the same people complain when a rock band who plays their own instruments and write their own songs puts out an album of their work.

So some respect for someone elses art, if ya don't like it move along without comment (or alternatively post some of your music and see what it is like when negative people rip it apart). Don't hate and if you are going to hate at least have the decency to keep it to yourself.

Second, I just listened to the two back to back... WTF. The chord progression is there but the vocal melodies have nothing to do with each other. This is such crap. Listen to the song and the CD if you like the band and the CD, don't listen to the band and the CD if you don't like it. Life is simple.
word to that...

Ryan Hewitt
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah who the **** cares about technicalities?
Give me the Stones any day over say Rush.
That said, I am not a Chili fan..the old stuff (Hillel) was good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
Everyones good at what they do , but is what they do any good ? heh
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

"Red Hot Chili Peppers Accused Of Plagiarism."

Are we talking about the song lyrics? You can't copyright an idea. If someone can say the same thing in a different way, there is nothing to stop you. Last I knew, the RHCP tune didn't use the line "last dance with marry jane."

I don't agree with the accusation. This is the first I've heard of the situation, and knowing MJLD, I can't pull the two together. The idea may be similar, but I don't think of MJLD when listening to Danny California.

I'm just an average person. To me, they don't sound the same. This is read-icculus.

The chord choices, ect... may have similarities. But I wouldn't call it a blatant infringment. If anything, it is a simple and similar song.

I know there is at least one case that proves the possibility of subconscious copyright infringement, but surely RHCP are conciously aware of Tom Petty's work. Its my thinking that no working professional, whether artist, producer, or label would risk putting something out that is easily recognizable/blatantly an infringment.

I love the video, btw. I'd think there would be more controversy over it than the song itself...

my $.02

I listened to the radio jerk's mp3. Sounds actually like the LDMJ song was altered. Sped up, and theirs something else is weird about it.

This sh*% is wack. WTF in all caps.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I still firmly believe with all my heart that Vanilla Ice did indeed write and compose Ice Ice Baby.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze
I still firmly believe with all my heart that Vanilla Ice did indeed write and compose Ice Ice Baby.
Yeah -- it's just like he said in that interview (with a guilty ass smirk) when asked about the...ahem..."similarities" between the two songs:

"There's goes dun dun dun duh-duh dun dun. Mine goes DUN dun dun dun duh-duh dun dun."

-Synth80s
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I encourage everybody who hasn't done so yet to read the late music critic Robert Palmer's excellent liner notes to the 4-CD Led Zeppelin Box set. He talks at length about the alleged plagiarism of 'Whole Lotta Love', a very interesting read. In a nutshell, he points out that the still-relevant copyright laws came from the Tin Pan Alley era where you had a tune with a melody, lyrics and chord changes. Enter the blues: now it becomes more difficult because you can't really copyright a riff and surely not a rhythm.
Enter samples and loops and it gets more difficult still. 'When the Levee breaks' is a prime example in this context, the drum intro pretty much IS the song. Though it's interesting to note that Zep has co-credited the source of some of the lyrics (Memphis Minnie) in that case.

Where do you put the emphasis when talking about 'rip-offs'? The riff, the melody, the tone of the guitar? I mean there are obvious cases, especially when different elements are plagarized (say same lyrics AND melody) but I guess its becoming more difficult all the time for the simple fact that music is evolving.

Just a few thoughts and not really aimed at the RHCPs. The 'accusation' here seems laughable to me. If anything, 'Dani California' reminds me A BIT of the Doors 'Hello, I love you', a song that pretty clearly 'evolved' from the Kinks 'All day and all of the night', which I'm sure you could trace back to some other source too..... At some point you'll be entering the vast field of 'Folk' and 'Public Domain' and I could imagine that we'll eventually be arriving there AGAIN at some point in the future.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's ALL blues...

Not So New
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think the songs are close. Would I say that is is a ripoff and that it was intentional?

No way.... There are only so many notes in the scale.... and so many words to say. theres going to be some overlapping sometime. Being a professional writer myself there is no way to know when I'm on someone elses song unless I either KNOW the song or someone else points it out to me.

For something more interesting..... check this gem out:

http://www.rowmedia.com/stash/nickelback.mp3

That mp3 was on Gearslutz a few years back.... Wonder who Nickelback's gonna sue?

-S0nguy
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaPowerPop
Wow. You really know how to put a guy in his place...and with only two well-chosen words, no less. Imagine what you could do with a vocabulary. *yawn
I said your comments were lightweight because you resorted to ad hominem attacks simply because you disagreed with my opinion. Correcting my spelling, telling me to clean my ears, making career assumptions, and childish sexual remarks is hardly a rebuttal.

Now if your half the intellect you are trying to posture yourself as, you would know that ad hominem attacks are considered a concession of defeat in the realm of debate and discussion.

Now go ahead and hit your spellcheck button and let me have it! I'm shaking in my boots in awe of your greatnessheh
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
Now if your half the intellect you are trying to posture yourself as, you would know that ad hominem attacks are considered a concession of defeat in the realm of debate and discussion.

Now go ahead and hit your spellcheck button and let me have it! I'm shaking in my boots in awe of your greatnessheh

No offense, but it's "you're (contraction of "you are") and not "your".
Old 8th June 2006
One with big hooves

'Ya know...

AC/DC & ZZ Top have been ripping themselves off for YEARS and you never hear anyone bitch about them...
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten
You may not be into what they're doing. That's fine. But "they suck" really should be reserved for people who can't play and can't write, and that ain't them.

I can't think of a single good musician who would say that a band like this actually sucks, rather than just saying, "I'm not really into them." That's just not how people with real talent talk.

JSL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search