The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rosetta 800 w/firewire vs Ensemble
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Rosetta 800 w/firewire vs Ensemble

So i stupidly sold my Digi002R at the beginning of this month to a friend, in hopes that the Apogee Ensemble would ship... well we were all hoping for it shipping in like Feb, March, April, May, or now June, but i'm betting on more like July now. Maybe they should team up with Benchmark to make a A/D converter/preamp that ships.... well later than everyone in the world would expect of course!

Anyway, the used prices for a Rosetta 800 seem to be somewhere between 2100-2500 on eBay pretty consistently. What's the Ensemble going to run? Around 2K after taxes?

So the price seems pretty close in some ways. Obviously, the Rosetta needs the FW card, and doesn't have it's own preamps (i've been wanting to build the SCA preamps forever anyway), so the cost does rise a bit, but still they aren't leagues away from each other, and the Rosetta is readily available. While no one outside of Apogee has been able to do a really good double blind test of the Rosetta vs the Ensemble and others, the Rosettas sound great today, and they will sound great tomorrow. Should I just go with the Rosetta, or wait until the Rapture for the Ensemble to come out alongside Duke Nukem Forever (computer game that's been in production since 1997 or so)
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

There's a not-so-fine line between researching and ******ing. I think you've crossed it.

If you want to check it out and are so adamant on "double blind" tests (make sure they're not "double deaf" either), rent an Apogee Rosetta 800, you're in a major metropolitan city, if you need to find out that bad yet trust no one, then rent the damn thing and listen to it for yourself. That's the easiest way.

Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I was more meaning, that since we don't have any direct comparisons, i'll assume that the Rosetta does indeed sound better than the Ensemble.

While it may sound odd, i'm not all that concerned "If" an Apogee unit will sound good. I'm pretty confident that they will. I am more wondering if you guys felt that with the relatively small cost difference, and the quality step up, AND the current availability of the Rosetta (so I can stop monitoring with headphones through the default output on my G4) make the Rosetta a clear winner at the current moment.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
I am more wondering if you guys felt that with the relatively small cost difference, and the quality step up, AND the current availability of the Rosetta (so I can stop monitoring with headphones through the default output on my G4) make the Rosetta a clear winner at the current moment.
I think you just answered your own question. The Apogee/Mac cross marketing has been brilliant. I can't believe how many people are blindly awaiting this product as the be all end all.

It's already been stated by an Apogee employee here on Gearslutz that the 800 has higher quality convertors. What's the issue? Be slutty...get the 800
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
It's already been stated by an Apogee employee here on Gearslutz that the 800 has higher quality convertors.
Yeah, and Apple continues to hawk the PowerPC until their top of the line machine goes intel.

meaning:

"Soylent Green. It's made out of PEOPLE!!! It's PEOPLE!"

meaning:

"Don't - tss tss - Don't - tss tss - Don't believe the hype"

meaning:

Either way, how can you loose?

meaning:

If you need it today, 800, if you can wait till tomorrow, Ensemble.

- matt
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

You can already order the Ensemble, you cannot order Intel towers.

Why would Max state that the 800 has higher quality convertors when you can order the Ensemble right now?!

Believe what you want.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
So i stupidly sold my Digi002R at the beginning of this month to a friend, in hopes that the Apogee Ensemble would ship... well we were all hoping for it shipping in like Feb, March, April, May, or now June, but i'm betting on more like July now.
So what DAW are you gonna be using now?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Logic Pro 7.2 currently. My studio for the moment, is... well without an interface. Thank god business is slow (non-existant), although I did get a call about a film the other day that i'll have to put off for a bit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search