The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Direct out recording of Guitar amps Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Direct out recording of Guitar amps

Just out of curiousity I've tried on a couple of different guitar amps to run the line out into my interface to 'see how it sounds'. Always get a huge humm/buzzing sound. Not sure if there's a way around that (?) If those line out connections aren't designed to record out of then what exactly are they there for?

BTW Im running a balanced 1/4" cable into my RME Fireface input, if that matters...
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

.... am I just totally off base here? Is DI recording of guitar just not something that people do?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I recently got the Roland Micro Cube (red) and I love it for direct recording. This means I can record at low volume at night without ticking off my neighbors, and still get a great selection of tones to choose from. I haven't had any buzzing problems, so I'd suggest a different cord.

I also tried running a Taylor 12 string with a Martin Goldline pickup installed, and it sounded great....

No micing, no outside noises, no soundproof room needed...direct in works great for me.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, perhaps it is a cable issue....
however I used the same cable to fun straight from the wah pedal to the input and the buzz (while still present) was drastically reduced.

For all practical applications I just mic the amp. I guess more than anything I was wondering if running a cable from the line out of an amp direct to the inputs was an 'acceptable' recording method?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not familiar with your soundcard, but does it have mic or line options ?? I heard that some people have tried running line in to a mic in with poor results on various cards, so you might want to check that.

On my Delta 1010LT there's a jumper on the sound card that has to be set for mic or line in on two of the inputs....
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds like a grounding problem in your studio. You've got a ground loop my friend.

Instead of lifting the ground, as this is a guitar amp (and i really don't like the idea of an amp without a direct and simply path to ground), try to use a 1:1 transformer to break the ground between the two.

The problem isn't coming from your cabling being balanced or unbalanced, but from grounding.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I figured I might get the 'its a ground loop' response. Only problem, Im a complete dunce when it comes to understanding these types of issues. Would you mind explaining to me (in idiot terms) what exactly a ground loop is and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I record my DI signal, but only because I split it out to an amp as well and then I edit my guitar performance and then send it back out to a guitar amp and mic that.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

don't mean to hijack, but has anyone tried the Randall MTS series combos' XLR "mic eliminator" direct output?

does it soak down after the power output tubes or is it preamp tube love only ?
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08
Just out of curiousity I've tried on a couple of different guitar amps to run the line out into my interface to 'see how it sounds'. Always get a huge humm/buzzing sound.
That's just nature's way of telling you guitar amps should be mic'd. Think of it like a cobra's hissing: first a warning, then the bite (output transformer blowing up).

This message brought to you by Mutual of Omaha.
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

I agree with the ground loop probability and a simple solution might be to make sure the guitar amp and computer are plugged into the same AC outlet. It might help.

As far as direct outs go; I have something labeled recording output on the back of my Marshall JCM-900 that is absurdly useless. If you really can't use speakers and microphones, then don't even mess with an amp. There are plenty of software options for achieving nearly believable amp tones.

RZ
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgraff
That's just nature's way of telling you guitar amps should be mic'd. Think of it like a cobra's hissing: first a warning, then the bite (output transformer blowing up).

This message brought to you by Mutual of Omaha.
haha.... now thats the kind of advice i was lookin for thumbsup
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlmusic
I agree with the ground loop probability and a simple solution might be to make sure the guitar amp and computer are plugged into the same AC outlet. It might help.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlmusic
As far as direct outs go; I have something labeled recording output on the back of my Marshall JCM-900 that is absurdly useless. If you really can't use speakers and microphones, then don't even mess with an amp. There are plenty of software options for achieving nearly believable amp tones.

RZ
Yeah, that's because it's usually a tap between the preamp and the amp section, I believe. But obviously there's more to a guitar sound than just a preamp; the amp/speaker/air/room/mic are a big part of that.

Most of the software (or in the case of the POD, outboard) solutions take the above into account.

If I were gonna record direct, I'd rather use a modeling technique than a line out from an amp.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

For Direct outs......Marshall JMP-1.....I could never use it live (I've played in Van Halen Tribute bands) cause they sound very weak...but for recording....they are pure evil.
Paul
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Nut

Amen, the JMP-1 has a great Speaker Sim, though they can sound pretty good live too with either a good Tube Power Amp, or by using a Tube Pre/Comp unit post the JMP-1 and pre the Power Amp.

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push845
For Direct outs......Marshall JMP-1.....I could never use it live (I've played in Van Halen Tribute bands) cause they sound very weak...but for recording....they are pure evil.
Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search