The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp-EQ dream team...mixing sorrows...
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Addict

Preamp-EQ dream team...mixing sorrows...

Hello,
I'm happy right now.
Tried my Brauner VM1 and the Fearn VT-1 with my ELI Lilfreq the first time! Wow!!
Lowcut 80Hz, +2dB high shelf and low shelf, pulled out some 170 Hz, added some 12 khz...and as the lilfreq has high headroom, I get a perfect levelled, smooth sound!

Anyway, this shows me that it makes a lot of difference to get the closest sound you want in the recording process. Good analog EQ destroys digital eq.

But I have a rather restricted mixing environement. Most processing happens in the digital domain.
I can record the bass with a good pre, analog eq and compressor.
Same thing for acoustic guitars, and vocals.
But piano, synth and drums are virtual instruments and can not be improved by my analog gear, as I do not have the space to set up a 8 or 16 channel converter, a dozen racks, and so on.
Basically I'd like to low cut, and above all lift the high end with analog eqs, and compress with a mohog or a api 2500...
I have all the stuff unused in the basement. (sterling table, k&h O300, eqs, aurora converter, comps) But the room acoustic is so bad, I eventually moved in my sleeping room with a 2 ch- converter and smaller nearfields.
I get much better results there, but I'm forced to stay in the ITB...
The basement room
height is very low, it's a wider room then my sleeping room, but it sound so bad, even treated. I could get mire expensive and better treatment... but I don't think this room will ever be good enough.
How to get a basic hybrid mixing setup in a good enough room?
Makes me sad. All the unused gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search