The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the jesus and mary chain peel sessions
Old 3rd June 2006
Here for the gear

the jesus and mary chain peel sessions

holy ****ing feedback, batman! have you all heard this ****!!!???

somebody please tell me how to get badass feedback like that, and how to control it so well. do you think they just have some kind of feedback track on a loop or something? i know some amps that i've played thru fed back a lot, naturally, but my current set up is nice and clean. i dont want to change my set up, itd be cool if i could build or tweak a pedal or something to add feedback, mix it wet/dry, etc. ideas?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

One thing I used to do when I would be tracking guitars from the control room but I wanted to be able to manipulate feedback is to have a second small amp right in front of me with the gain cranked. I sent the guitar signal thru a splitter.

Of course, the cool thing that you soon discover is to set the amp in the tracking room totally clean but have the amp in front of you screaming.

You're only recording the sound of the clean amp, but somehow the strings on your guitar are ringing like they're feeding back.

It's a pretty unique sound; I don't think I could reverse engineer it if I heard it without knowing how to do it.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

max, you rock! What a cool idea - thanks for sharing!!!
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Head

Jesus and Mary Chain feedback?

Gibson ES-330 hollowbody -> a broken '60s Japanese Shen-ei Fuzz -> 50 Watt Marshall

In the studio -

A Mesa/Boogie and Fender Twin were set up next to the Marshall and recorded to three tracks that were then blended in the mix.

And props for the "clean feedback" trick! I dunno how I'd reproduce it live, but I'll check it out.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Reeves Gabrels used to do that mini amp trick with Tin Machine. Live, he just had one duck taped to a mic stand.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD
Reeves Gabrels used to do that mini amp trick with Tin Machine. Live, he just had one duck taped to a mic stand.
that's an even better idea.

I thought of it when I was trying to figure out how to hear the drums but not bleed on the drum tracks and get feedback at the same time.

I'd bet a lot of guys got there the same way.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Great tip, thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search