The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noise profiles/removal
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Noise profiles/removal

Hell all! First off, I'd like to apologize in advance for the noobiness of this question, as I'm definitely NOT an ME in any sense of the word. Unfortunately for me, certain time constraints force me to wear the 'ME' hat, and I feel far under-educated when it comes to this. My question is quite simple in reality:

In mastered CD's, how the HECK do people get that perfect silence in pauses of the track/beginning/ending? Mine have noticeable noise, and it's driving me insane! I know it's a noob question, but I figured no better place to ask than a place where people do it for a living. Thanks in advance!

-Joel
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

C'mon, somebody's gotta know! hahahaha
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

There is no secret. You have to start with a quiet room, record with a low-noise gear, edit the tracks to trim noisy sections, apply noise reduction if needed — so, you'll end up with a noise-free master.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

I'm even talking about just muting a 2 track and still having hiss... I have a duet/babyface, and no outboard gear for the mix. It's completely ITB. I just don't get how I can't get quiet parts even with chops and such. It still has that slight hiss... Drives me nuts!
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Forgive me if this is too basic of a suggestion, but do you know/understand about editing tracks in your DAW? You can zoom in on the visual representation of your recorded tracks and cut out all sound before the first note of the first instrument of a song starts to play. That is as "total" as total silence gets. I would use some sort of fade-in, even a very short one. Pops can occur if you have too abrupt of a start.

If you have done that and there is still noise, it is not coming from the track (obviously, since you just cut out all sound from the track). It is coming from your monitoring system. No editing is going to help with that.
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
I'm even talking about just muting a 2 track and still having hiss... I have a duet/babyface, and no outboard gear for the mix. It's completely ITB. I just don't get how I can't get quiet parts even with chops and such. It still has that slight hiss... Drives me nuts!
If its ITB and the track is muted, you either have something inserted in the master insert that has faux analog noise (if the actual master fader is left open), or your DA and/or monitoring has noticeable noise. My money is on the latter.
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

It can't be monitoring, because its everywhere I listen, and the tracks that have pure silence I can hear though them. They were crap converters, so maybe its that. I've since replaced them with a duet and a baby face. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gearslutz App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search