The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Debating what mic pre/audio interface to go with.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Debating what mic pre/audio interface to go with.

In the process of setting up my home studio and upgrading to better, more high-end equipment.

I am debating what combination of mic pre/audio interface to use for my set up. My main, and only purpose is to record vocals for voice over work.

Here are the options I am debating between (sorry if any of these are confusing, stupid, or don't make sense in terms of the "norm," I am still a bit new to all of this):

Option one: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 for audio interface and mic pre

Option two: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 FireWire Interface with the Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic as my mic pre.

Option three: Behringer XENYX X2222USB USB Mixer with Effects with Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic as my mic pre.

Overall, I would like to know is option one better than the other two? And is the Focusrite Saffire interface a better choice than the Behringer mixer?

Thanks for all your help. All comments are much appreciated!
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

If you're only recording vocals, all you need is a mic and one of the better two-channel interfaces: Apogee Duet, Sound Devices Usbpre2, or maybe a RME Babyface.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
If you're only recording vocals, all you need is a mic and one of the better two-channel interfaces: Apogee Duet, Sound Devices Usbpre2, or maybe a RME Babyface.
Thanks, mcgruff. Know off any high quality two-channel interfaces, like the ones you listed, that have hook ups for monitors?
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

The Usbpre2 has the best overall connectivity but they'll all connect to monitors no problem.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Usbpre2 has the best overall connectivity but they'll all connect to monitors no problem.
Perfect! Thanks for all your help!
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Head

I would look at RME. You won't have to change for a while.
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
So is there even any need for a nice Mic pre with any of these interfaces? Or will i still get a very high quality recording with just the interface?
Old 21st May 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuncleMalone View Post
I would look at RME. You won't have to change for a while.
Thass the one I'm leaning towards, looks amazing! Also, I just asked mcgruff this question but ill ask you to in case he's busy and cant respond, is there a need at all for a mic pre when using the rme or any of the other interfaces listed? Or will I still get a high quality recording with just the interface?
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

The built-in pres are all pretty good with plenty clean gain. Any of these can deliver good quality audio. Only other thing you'll need is a decent mic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search