The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
overhead micing!
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Nut

overhead micing!

Ahoy!

Whats everyones favourite techniques and mics for overheads and micing cymbals. room mics aswell?

ive got mine, i fancy exploring some alternatives for an album ill be doing soon.

Cheers
Old 20th May 2012
ORTF about a meter or two (depending on the sound I'm going for) above the center of the kit is far and away my favorite overhead mic technique.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Just remember that overhead mic technique, when done correctly, focuses in an image of the drum kit AS A WHOLE, not just the cymbals!

A personal favorite of mine is the spaced pair, offset to center the plane of kick and snare. In using this technique, I've finally found razor-sharp imaging of the drum kit. It makes working in spot mics so much easier on things such as toms and kick. George Massenburg has a great YouTube video on this, which I would highly recommend - it changed the way I approach the drum kit!
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

^ as above, although with Jazz, I like to try and get the overheads behind the drummer's head. You can't always do it, but when you pull it off, you feel like you're sat behind a kit playing it.

In bad rooms, X/Y hypercardioid pairs can be useful.

Very rarely find myself wanting to do the really wide random spaced pair thing most live engineers seem to do (basically only when I want a more vague, blurrier drum sound which still sounds intimate).
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
^ as above, although with Jazz, I like to try and get the overheads behind the drummer's head. You can't always do it, but when you pull it off, you feel like you're sat behind a kit playing it.

In bad rooms, X/Y hypercardioid pairs can be useful.

Very rarely find myself wanting to do the really wide random spaced pair thing most live engineers seem to do.
Yeah! If you have a killing, controlled drummer, the sounds you can from behind his head/shoulders are insane!! It's also really fun to experiment with mics that have switchable polar patterns, mostly as an educational experiment. You'll learn some serious intricacies of pickup pattern and imaging versus frequency response and (spill, of you're tracking live).
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

I do a ton of Hard Rock and Metal , So I need to focus on the cymbals as opposed to the kit as a whole . I cut out around 250-500 hz to let the cymbals in only . 2 mics usually AT4041 and I spend a fair amount of time making sure I get all the cymbals coming through evenly and adjust when A china is overtaking the cymbal mix . I don't want to have to manually adjust cymbals that are too loud compared to others . Room mics I just set up 2xAT4050 for that .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search