The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Asylum on E! channel Friday June 9th.
Old 3rd June 2006

Vocal Asylum on E! channel Friday June 9th.

Hey gearslutz, a studio that you'll help load with gear is going primetime!

I'm the vocal coach for Chelsea Handler, so they shot this upcoming episode in the studio. Check it out if you can:

Friday June 9th 2006 @ 10:30pm
E! Entertainment Television Features
James Lugo on
The Chelsea Handler Show
Episode 'Triple Threat'
Check your local listings
http://www.eonline.com/On/ChelseaHan...dex.html?spbox

She's singing into the Pearlman. Well if you call it singing...lol
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm the vocal coach for Chelsea Handler, so they shot this upcoming episode in the studio. Check it out if you can:

She's singing into the Pearlman. Well if you call it singing...lol [/QUOTE

JAMES!!!!
What are you saying?
"Well, if you call it singing"
"I'm the vocal coach...."

LOL!!!!!
Just kidding!
My wife is a University of North Texas vocal dept. grad and once "coached" a lot of the people who sang at my studio in Dallas.
Phewwwwwww!!!!!!!!!
Talk about a challenge!

I can recall how confused people would get when she would teach them to pronounce words correctly. She say, "you're out of tune on that part of the phrase because you are forming the words wrong" They'd freak out and say, "but that's not the way I say it!"
The concept of changing the actual wording a bit with words that would allow easier pitching was like asking them to sing in Swahili! They wouldn't change and it'd be out of tune. They'd try her way and it'd be in tune. They never liked it! ahhhh.... they're all "retired" anyways!

I can't imagine the same task in "I need to be famous and I've got cash to burn to do it land" (that'd be Hollywoods)

Danny Brown
(did McCurry work out a deal to keep his room? I need to call him.)
Old 3rd June 2006

McCurry just called to tell me he's grocery shopping... Whoa!

I think he's stayin' in his spot. No move.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Nice
... to see your studio that is

I just watched a podcast of the show on iTunes, episode "S-factor Workout"
... I now take your comment about her singing less serious heh
Didn't know the show
Old 7th June 2006

Oh man the commercials are running for the show. She's singing so bad into my Pearlman. I just saw one, it's gonna be a funny show.

Chelsea Handler vocal chain:
Pearlman>Pacifica>LTD-1(EQ)>1176>La2a>16X
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'll be in San Antonio Friday. I'll try my best to check it out J. Hell, if you have TiVo record it and maybe upload it to youtube.com heh

big ups!

and
Quote:
grocery shopping... Whoa
we say "making groceries"
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Oh man the commercials are running for the show. She's singing so bad into my Pearlman. I just saw one, it's gonna be a funny show.

Chelsea Handler vocal chain:
Pearlman>Pacifica>LTD-1(EQ)>1176>La2a>16X
Is that you in the comercial? I caught one earlier.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I just watched the "Recording Studio" episode.

Damn ... I wasn't expecting it to be THAT bad heh heh

I was getting nervous just watching it

You need good people skills to manage a session like that
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I got the ole TiVo set to record it.

Of course, it will be concurrent to the little soiree at your place on Friday.

Is Sartiano coming?!!
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Addict

Ashlee (who has taken a lesson from James) was flipping through the channels and saw the commercial. She yelled "OMIGAWD" so loud I almost crapped my pants.
Old 8th June 2006

She's my finest student...lolheh heh heh

Yeah that's me in the commercial. It was fun.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Nut

just saw the podcast of the episode. funny stuff. is it just me or sometimes she tries way too hard to be funny??

btw- very cool studio, i like the iso room.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well, I ain't into paying for no satylite or cable TV since I can get TV with lot's of commercials for free off my antenny on the roof! So, I didn't get to see your TV show.

You killed me with "Bryan called and said that he's going grocery shopping."
Bryan is NOT exactly Mr. Conversation, but sometimes he gets rather anal about details and food is a sure subject to get him talking.
Ever been to a resturant with Bryan?
It's funny as hell!
I always pity the waitress.... he asks a MILLION questions about stuff on the menu that he's not going to order!
The waiter at Caldwells (? the seafood place at Sunset and PCH) asked Brian, "Are you like a food critic for a magazine?"
The guy was serious!

Actually, in these parts when you wanna' go get something to eat you say: Hey, Lets go get some groceries! (well, some people say that)

Danny Brown
Old 9th June 2006
SK1
Lives for gear

I've got it ready to go on tivo too .....

Bigtime, bigtime baby ....... LOL

Way to go !!!

Congrats
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba
Bryan is NOT exactly Mr. Conversation, but sometimes he gets rather anal about details and food is a sure subject to get him talking.
Ever been to a resturant with Bryan?
It's funny as hell!
Oh my god!!!!

I just spit coffee everywhere.

It looks like I have to pull out my Brian McCurry impression.

Wait 'till Lugo sees this. We've both experienced the bliss of dining with him. Whats even better is when he asks you to order for him as he will be on his way shortly.

Nice one Danny!!!!
Old 9th June 2006

Ordering food with McCurry is interdimensional experience!

'Do you have blackened chicken sandwiches? What kind of sauce comes on that? James have you ever had chipoltte sauce? It's pretty good. What kind of bun does that sandwich come with? Oh, I see, do you have whole wheat or a pita? Great I love whole wheat. Does the cook melt the cheese or put it on at the end? What kind of soup comes with that? I'll have a salad with 1000 Island on the side. Is it sliced tomatos or the little whole ones? OK that sounds great, I'll have the turkey burger instead... and to top it all off he brings his own water to the resturant (Fiji - he likes figi water because it's a square bottle and he can hold it under his arm while he carries gear. I'm am not ****ting you. UNBELEIVABLE!!!

He's one of the ultimate gearslutz but I can't get him to hang with us on GS. That guy has some serious gear.
McCurry's joint: http://www.platinumla.com/

Old 9th June 2006

He's on the phone now, I'm sending him the link...
Old 9th June 2006

heh

He's on the phone laughing his ass off... he says he doesn't eat cheese! or 1000 island
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Do you REALLY wanna' jack with him?

He'll figure this out really quick, but when I first met him he was a fairly hip 21 year old that appeared at my studio one day. He had been looking for a place to intern at and he quickly figured that the place with an SSL and several HUGE rooms was a joke. The place with a Neve (the very 8128 that he ended up with) required the interns to mow a HUGE acre of grass with a push mower. He lived at home and he already had to mow at least an acre there. So, he ends up hanging with me. Now realize that all he did was "hang" and pick my brain. With him it was OK. He was green, but he was intensely interested in everything I did and said. He'd stay until after I'd lock the front door after a session at 1:00 am and we'd still talk in the parking lot for another 45 minutes or more!

One day he brings me some photographs of his studio. It was in a barn behid his parents house. It was pretty much beginner stuff, but in the middle of his pefectly cleaned and maintained outboard rack were two blackface 1176s. I asked about them (this was 1991 before the vintage craze took off) and he PROUDLY told me about his big gear trade where he had traded them for a pair of dBx160Xs! I was going, "No! No! No!" That was the beginning! After you jack with him over 1176s vs. dBx160s ask him if that wasn't really the beginning of his gear education. His journey to buy EVERYTHING started about then.

I also spent about two weeks convincing him that a Souncraft 400 was going to be a better buy than a Seck mixer. He'd get me all wound up because he'd never say, "OK, I guess you are right." He DIDN'T listen when I tried to tell him NOT to buy that Neve 8128 though. I had used the room it was in everyday for three yeras prior and I knew it's consition. I was the guy that tried to keep it running! The owner hated it and refused to allocate money toawrds anything beyond bandaide repairs.

He also asked whether or not he should buy a U87 for $600. He was on his cellphone asking me all the way to Ft. Worth... about 45 minutes. It was obviously stolen and it didn't have a case. I finally said, "If you don't want it, buy it and drive over here and I'll give you $600.00 for it!" He probebly still has it, too!

You also MUST get him to elaborate on the trip we made to West, Texas near Waco (the town is called West) to buy some gear. David Koresh and the Branch Davidians had just had their "final stand" and the seller of the gear was somehow associated with them. He was "getting the hell out of Dodge" because the Mt. Carmel compound had burned the week before and he was EXTREMELEY freaked out! It was crazed christian vs. Brian who saw a deal and was not going to leave without scoring lot's of stuff. My wife went and was pissed and somewhat afraid of the christian kook. i so wish I had a video camera that night. He scored a 414 that I bet he still has it. I scored a Switchcraft 1/4" patchbay that I still use it and call it the Branch Davidian patchbay.

Ask him about the blackface 1176s!
Maybe dwell on a debate over which is better... a dBx160 or a 1176 blackface.
It'll take him a minute to figure it out, but since he knows that we have talked here about his food habits he'll know.

Seriously, Brian is a great friend of mine. While he is one of the biggest Gearsluts (it is the whole reason that he lives in Hollywood!) he has turned me on to deals and compensated me beyond what I expected for helping him out at times. He was also a true friend when I split from the studio partnership I had when he was an "intern." I wasn't getting rich and money was tight, so one night he came to our house with a bunch of frozen meat and steaks that he took from his parent's freezer. He said, Take it... we won't eat it." I felt like a charity case, but it sped up my departure from my great, but EXPENSIVE to run partnership. I thank him for that.... and the steaks!

I'm glad he lives out there because if he lived here in the Dallas area I'd be all involved and I'd be in trouble with my wife over gear ... like the old days!

I lived in Studio City back in 1980/81 and I really wish I knew Brian back then.
I could make his studio happen.
I lead too comfortable of a life here in Texas!
I already "did Hollywood."

Take care,
Danny Brown

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search