Gear Addict

Buying more equipment

One of my good friends is currently using:

-FL Studio (Producer Series)
-Shure SM7B
-Scarlett 2i2 Pre-Amp
-Scarlett Plug-In Suite
-HP Desktop with Windows 7

He has around $500 to spend and add more to his existing equipment. He is not happy with the mixing and mastering (post-production) side of his music once it's all been recorded and so on (he says scarlett plug in suite just adds cheap quality to the recording)....and obviously, needs more. (like everyone lol)

What could he buy for $500, or less - to help his studio and music. All he records are male vocals and makes beats through his mouse and keyboard in FL Studio..... Any advice or recommendations?
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic11 View Post
One of my good friends is currently using:

-FL Studio
-Shure SM7B
-Scarlett 2i2 Pre-Amp
-Scarlett Plug-In Suite

He has around $500 to spend and add more to his existing equipment. He is not happy with the mixing and mastering (post-production) side of his music once it's all been recorded and so on (he says scarlett plug in suite just adds cheap quality to the recording)....and obviously, needs more. (like everyone lol)

What could he buy for $500, or less - to help his studio and music. All he records are male vocals and makes beats through his mouse and keyboard in FL Studio..... Any advice or recommendations?
What is his monitoring situation? That could be a big factor...

As far as the Scarlett plug-ins being cheap...I would dare say that if used properly, they should provide satisfactory results.

Can you post some stuff to give a sense of what's up? What your friend should buy is kinda dependent on what sorta stuff he does...
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
What is his monitoring situation? That could be a big factor...

As far as the Scarlett plug-ins being cheap...I would dare say that if used properly, they should provide satisfactory results.

Can you post some stuff to give a sense of what's up? What your friend should buy is kinda dependent on what sorta stuff he does...
He has been monitoring on studio headphones, which is probably a major disadvantage...he just purchased KRK RP6 G2 SE Monitors and they're on their way; are they pretty good?
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
He has been monitoring on studio headphones, which is probably a major disadvantage...he just purchased KRK RP6 G2 SE Monitors and they're on their way; are they pretty good?
1) I don't think it's too controversial to say that headphones aren't the best way to mix.

2) Those monitors aren't amazing (check the review section to see what other people think of them), but if you did a bit of treatment to the room you mix in, I think you could get satisfactory results.

3) I would recommend that he get an SM57, as the SM7--while it's a great mic--has a rather narrow range of applications. It's not the best choice for, say, acoustic guitar. (does he record stuff other than vocals?)

4) I know this is Gearslutz, but the Truth is that the gear your friend has can produce great-sounding results, provided that he keeps up his end of the bargain, so to speak. Good mic placement, good gain staging, and good mixing chops will be the determining factor in the quality of his stuff.

But then I guess that's true of everything.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
1) I don't think it's too controversial to say that headphones aren't the best way to mix.

2) Those monitors aren't amazing (check the review section to see what other people think of them), but if you did a bit of treatment to the room you mix in, I think you could get satisfactory results.

3) I would recommend that he get an SM57, as the SM7--while it's a great mic--has a rather narrow range of applications. It's not the best choice for, say, acoustic guitar. (does he record stuff other than vocals?)

4) I know this is Gearslutz, but the Truth is that the gear your friend has can produce great-sounding results, provided that he keeps up his end of the bargain, so to speak. Good mic placement, good gain staging, and good mixing chops will be the determining factor in the quality of his stuff.

But then I guess that's true of everything.
How are the AKG K702 Headphones are those ok to mix since he lives near other people so can't be loud with studio monitors? He doesn't record anything else other than male vocals and producing beats, since he is a pop singer / with a bit of hip-hop.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
How are the AKG K702 Headphones are those ok to mix since he lives near other people so can't be loud with studio monitors? He doesn't record anything else other than male vocals and producing beats, since he is a pop singer / with a bit of hip-hop.
AKG K702 Reference Headphones

Seems people love 'em.

Personally--and this is just me--I would mix super quiet on monitors before mixing on headphones. I would just never expect a headphone mix to translate exactly the way I wanted. But that's really just conjecture since I haven't done it in 10 years.

Anyone wanna weigh in on headphone mixes?
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
AKG K702 Reference Headphones

Seems people love 'em.

Personally--and this is just me--I would mix super quiet on monitors before mixing on headphones. I would just never expect a headphone mix to translate exactly the way I wanted. But that's really just conjecture since I haven't done it in 10 years.

Anyone wanna weigh in on headphone mixes?
Yea I'd love to hear about it cause if he can get away with just mixing on those headphones with the focus rite preamp and focus rite VRM box that comes free with the headphones, I think he would be happy with the results.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yea I'd love to hear about it cause if he can get away with just mixing on those headphones with the focus rite preamp and focus rite VRM box that comes free with the headphones, I think he would be happy with the results.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...eadphones.html

P.S. that VRM thing looks interesting.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...eadphones.html

P.S. that VRM thing looks interesting.
Also what would the FMR Audio RNC & CloudLifter add to his existing set up?
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Also what would the FMR Audio RNC & CloudLifter add to his existing set up?
RNC is an extremely affordable, capable, flexible compressor that I can't believe I don't own yet. Would work great for both tracking and mixing (it's stereo). Just gotta figure out how to insert external effects in FL, and you'd be golden.

Cloudlifter is perfect for getting the SM7 plenty of clean gain. The SM7's quiet, and alot of preamps get noisy before they can get the SM7 to a good level. Cloudlifter is the solution.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search