The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whats most colored Pre/EQ for the API Lunchbox?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Whats most colored Pre/EQ for the API Lunchbox?

Have an API Lunch box with 560's in it, looking to fill my other slots, probably gonna add a 512c but looking to add some more variety as well.
I was wondering what is the closest thing to Neve'ish/1073 or GTQ style color available in 500 Series style form factor?

Also, is there an updated list of all the 500 / Lunchbox compatible modules out there ?
Any other comps or EQ's coming?

I'm looking for coloration & old-school sound.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

I think most of them can be pretty colored depending on how you are hitting them. Or if you have an input and output gain, you can adjust for maximum color. For what you are asking, I would bet the Shadow Hills Mono Gama would work simply because of the different transformer options -- different colors and one uncolored (have not heard it however). The OSA L3 is pretty thick to me fwiw(and I've heard Neve-ish, but haven't done a direct comparison), great pre regardless.
Old 3rd June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfuzz
I was wondering what is the closest thing to Neve'ish/1073 or GTQ style color available in 500 Series style form factor?
Unfortunately, there isn't anything close in a 500 series form factor....
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Let's recycle this thread if you don't mind (almost 5 years after)heh

So to quote the initial thread starter "Whats most colored Pre/EQ for the API Lunchbox?", I'm interested because I'm maybe evaluating the 500 format ( was never convinced it could compete with 19 format)
Is it still the case ?
Thanks
Old 1st July 2011
The PURPLE AUIDIO BIZ MK and PANTS, seem to have like 14 different ways to change the sound. Pair those with some ODD's or TAV's, you'll be inside a dense rainbow of color heaven. The API chains are a no brainer to me. 512c-550B-527, but it's not smeared, or polishing, it's thick and punishing!
Old 1st July 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot Roc ! I did not follow purple audio products the last 3 yearstutt
If we remove the equalizer from the equation what 500 format preamp may be described as thick, midrangey, heavy (warm) WIthout rolling off the high frequencies ?
Helios ?
Chandler ?
A design
Other non usual suspects less know but still "boutique" ?

Last edited by isham; 1st July 2011 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Avedis MA5?

Probably the best preamp made (component / quality wise speaking) for the 500 series IMO. It's pretty colored, nice tight and big lows, a very nice mid and top range as well..
Definitely in the Neve-ish realm..

It would be my pick!

Ciao

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 2nd July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't anything close in a 500 series form factor....
5 years later and the MA5 is the answer to the OP's question looking for a Neve style unit.
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you mates !
Any 500 preamp + tape simulator on the market ? I will maybe starts a new thread heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search