The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording Singing Bowls
Old 19th May 2012
Here for the gear

Recording Singing Bowls

Hello!

I'm going to record singing bowls and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to record the sound source.

I'm going to record it in the studio and I was thinking about recording them with a pair of C414's (not sure if cardioide or omni) for the stereo image and a neumann (cardioide) U87 for a closer spot mic.

Greetings,
RTD
Old 19th May 2012
Will a spot mic even work in this case? Singing bowls basically take up an entire table, right--so a spot mic would not give you even coverage. The pair of 414 mics sounds like a great way to go!
Old 19th May 2012
Here for the gear

I have to agree with you. I also think the spot mic won't be nessasary. But I just want to place it for in case it can add something in the mix. Maybe I won't use it at all. The two C414's are my main and I will try to get the best sound from that pair.
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Guru

I have actually used 414's myself

IME, you need to get some distance. The cool thing about the bowl is how it fills the space it is in.

the other thing is to keep reminding yourself that nothing is feeding back!
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Singing Bowls-brooke-bowl.jpg  
Old 19th May 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info! Did you use the C414's as omni's or cardioide? I'm going to record much smaller singing bowls, like in the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Singing Bowls-singing-bowls.jpg.jpg  
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've recorded a bunch of singing bowls and gongs. The 414s is xy should be cool. Just mess around with placement..should be a breeze!
Old 19th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Thanks for the info! Did you use the C414's as omni's or cardioide? I'm going to record much smaller singing bowls, like in the image.
I had the pair in cardiod ORTF. About 5 feet away.

I have recorded the smaller bowls as well. I got in a bit closer, but the guy often played several at once, so I needed to cover the whole table.
Old 20th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the other thing is to keep reminding yourself that nothing is feeding back!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search