The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moving a large console...
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Moving a large console...

I am going to be picking up my new console soon and I am not sure if I should pull out the channels for the drive and move. It's going around 200 miles in the back of a cargo van.

Any tips? The console is a Sony 3036.

Thanks,

Reed
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed
I am going to be picking up my new console soon and I am not sure if I should pull out the channels for the drive and move. It's going around 200 miles in the back of a cargo van.

Don't know the console, but pull the modules for that move. Most consoles I've installed had the modules come separate except one VR. Had no problems either way, but I would recommend pulling them

edit: had to fix the close quote
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=XSergeantD]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaReed

[\QUOTE]
Don't know the console, but pull the modules for that move. Most consoles I've installed had the modules come separate except one VR. Had no problems either way, but I would recommend pulling them

DOH! Why didn't I think of that for upgrading from a Tac Scorpion to an Otari Status console!?!?! We just did the heavy lifting. that would have made it sooo much easier.

Wasn't any way to make the tape machine easier, asides from taking out the power supplies. The frieght elevator was broken the week we upgraded....
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Wasn't any way to make the tape machine easier, asides from taking out the power supplies. The frieght elevator was broken the week we upgraded....
that sucks (did ya take the meter bridge off at least)
That may have almost sucked as much as moving the 3348's up and down the staris at Electric Lady Studios every week. I would have chipped in to install an elevator
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have moved a bunch of consoles and have always taken out the modules. Get a bunch of tinffoil and wrap the open boards to prevent static. wrapem in buble wrap or bubble wrap like plastic and box em up. The console will be half as heavy as well.
Old 3rd June 2006

One of the best posts I've ever read was by Fletcher on the moving of large frame consoles. There are some things to consider before moving some consoles without modules and the post goes into detail on these issues. I would search RAP or PSW (hope they have archives for its predecessor site).
Anyway, worth searching for. Maybe Fletcher could tell us where it's located.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have moved a LOT of consoles!

Yes! Take the modules out!
First of all it'll be WAY lighter to move the frame and the modules packed properly into boxes tha the whole F-ing thing intact!

The frame will be subjected to stress and slight warpage as you move it since it was designed to sit on the ground in one spot. You don't really want edge connectors to flex and move while seated.

When you re-assemble it don't expect everything to fire right up.
If it does, you are lucky.
Be patient and work slowly and carefully.

BE VERY CAREFUL RECONNECTING THE POWER SUPPLY

I don't know why you'd need to wrap the modules in tinfoil.
I have seen many extremely expensive consoles de-commisioned and shipped and no tin foil was involved.
Unless you are talking about a console module with a microprocessor and it's ROM whatever static electricity a given module is going to see isn't going to hurt anything.

Danny Brown

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search