The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about a box Headphone Amps
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

Question about a box

I heard from one whom I respect that this box wouldn´t degrade the signal.

Anybody else who experienced it? Would you dare to send a signal from a high end D/A through it for out of the box processing?

If the rule of getting what you paid for were to make an exception on this I would get me one asap, but doubt it somehow ...

Quote:
Control room output with level control

Assignable to three sperate outputs

Talk back mic with Push to Talk and Slate to Tape

Three sets of two track Inputs and Outputs with dubbing capability

Headphone amp with volume control
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

It's a monitoring section......why would you send something other then your monitoring signal thru it?...just curious
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

I think he's talking about using a high end DAC from his workstation to use this as a monitoring box. Whether it would ruin the high end equipments signal, I dont know. You could always go passive instead.
Frost
Old 27th September 2003
Lives for gear

Yes, I was thinking that it would be comfortable if the signal could be permanently routed from out of the D/A to this box and from there being splitted or switched to / between speakers and / or outboard gear for processing.

I yet assume best might be to stay with how it is which is patching for the individual case of demand, but thought it could be interesting to ask around if this box was indeed leaving the signal in original condition.

It is that I am awaiting a high end D/A and am thinking of permanently patching it for feeding outboard stuff while the DAC1 which I ahve here already would stay for monitoring. But it could be that the coming D/A was so nice that it could show desirable to let it feed the monitors as well - during the time it was not needed for feeding outboard fx. ( Athough I guess this would have the [slight] disadvantage that the monitoring level would had to be set from within the DAWs S/W mixer then, compared to the DAC1 where you can comfortably engage its volume pot.)

Ruphus

PS:
Quote:
You could always go passive instead.
Does this mean that the Samson box connection can be switched passive. or was it rather meant as just leaving the samson out in case of degradation?
Thanks
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Noone here played with it yet?
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

I think it retails for less than $100. Give it a shot and let us know the results. If you want to get really anal and tweaky, you could wire up a bunch of matched resisters on a rotary switch and have a balanced stepped monitor control.
Old 29th September 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Hifi,

yap, I am anal about what goes on disc and really doubt this thing to be not harming the signal that´s why i was curious to get some more opinons on it.

You´re right, although prices in Europe get turned up ( it runs for the equivalent of 165$ here ) it´s sure worth a try, at least because I wouldn´t need to put up a mic for talk back - as I yet do - and since it provides more heads out.

Your technical suggestion sounds appealing, but I would be too dopey to get such done. At least yet.

Greets,

Ruphus
Old 29th September 2003
I think it looks VERY cute!

But then I dig blue...

If it had a jack in the back for a remote talkback switch, then I could see this winning an EQ Magazine or tech award blue ribbon...

Jules - pre AES prediction
Old 19th October 2003
Lives for gear

Got me the Cque8 meanwhile, which should be same in sound quality as the C-control.
That thing sounds damn good. However you can´t say it wouldn´t degrade the signal. Only slightly, but it does. However, I can only speak about heads which isn´t the same like line outs. Guess though that I will get me the C-control later as well and might check the line sound also.

I compared the Samson to the headphone amp of a DAC-1. ( The Samsons main amp set around 11 o´clock and the individual headphone out at around 2, consequently lots of own amplification.) Can´t even say that it would mean losses in frequency range, but I noticed a narrowing in the stereo field.

From there I estimate that I wouldn´t be using the C-control in an overdubbing cycle of high quality audio material, nor in the final state of mix and mastering judging.
But for usual monitoring of mix and tracking this product line seems worth every penny and more.

Very nice!

Ruphus
Old 20th October 2003
Lives for gear

I think Cranesong just introduced something along these lines.
It`s probably a little pricier but well worth it considering the expense of the conveters going into it.

Kevin
Old 20th October 2003
My former employer has replaced my console (which I took with me) with one of those and it sounds rather bad in there, imo...
Old 20th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Blackwood
My former employer has replaced my console (which I took with me) with one of those and it sounds rather bad in there, imo...
Aha.
What is it that you hear?
Just curious,

Ruphus
Old 20th October 2003
Gear Addict

I haven't heard the box, but I really wouldn't trust the company. Samson is just like Behringer. They wait for important products to come out, than clone them with really cheap parts. You know that Samson, stands for Sam Ash & pushed really hard at all the local US Sam Ash stores. Personally I would keep away from it.
Old 20th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by eskay
I haven't heard the box, but I really wouldn't trust the company. Samson is just like Behringer. They wait for important products to come out, than clone them with really cheap parts. You know that Samson, stands for Sam Ash & pushed really hard at all the local US Sam Ash stores. Personally I would keep away from it.
I don´t know the background and to be honest I don´t care where a design comes from. For me it is interesting how good something sounds and how much it costs. Have you tried the unit?

When in use ( hadn´t always had the chance to try out first ) I trust my ears and while they will certainly learn more in the future I know that I can hear comparably well already.

Now, I´m waiting for Brad to tell us what he heard in that box that was so inferior.
Am really curious to see what I´m supposed to be missing in judgement.

Ruphus
Old 20th October 2003
Gear Addict

I guess you don't need my opinion!!

But to me it's something like with Behringer products. Some of their products sound O.K., but do you really trust the components and the built of quality. I don't know about you, but if a Behringer product sounded decent, I would trust my ears, and then I would trust my common sense, which says, stay away from crap. That's all.

Old 20th October 2003
Lives for gear

Somehow right. If a piece of gear was sounding good, but clearly going to brake soon one should stay away from it.

However a brands name doesn´t say it all. When you go for gear you shouldn´t on principle decide between specimens by their name. This could be right and often wrong.

While researching for diverse sorts of products it appeared to me that there were products with much lower price than those pieces of good sounding names with same or even lower quality.

But you need to leave the common path to find that out. ( Right E-que? He knows the brand I´m e.g. thinking of that is vastly under rated and gives you the quality of 2 to 3 times higher priced gear that popular competition offers. )

It is NOT always that you would get what you pay for. Often true, sometimes not.

But back to Behringer: Even of that company not all products are of the same quality. There are some sort of devices with ok quality who are more reliable than their average product line. At least according to what users report. And if I´m right their new digital mixer for instance isn´t all that bad.

What Samson is concerned I hear here for the first time that their products shall be crap on principle. Maybe you are right and this unit I bought will break down soon. If so I will be searching this thread then and let you know.

For now all I can say is that its sonic quality is incredible for the money spent and as it is even only 100 bucks in the states I would so far recommend it to everybody to give it a listen if in need of such a device. Pragmatically.

Ruphus
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search